tdi recall

scubadood

Reaction score
Audi recalls 70,000 A3 cars due to clutch fault

Reuters
Automotive News / February 17, 2006 - 12:00 pm

FRANKFURT -- Audi is recalling around 70,000 of its A3 cars worldwide because of possible clutch faults, the company said on Friday.

A spokesman for Audi, Volkswagen's premium brand, said the affected vehicles had 2.0-liter diesel engines and were built between June 2003 and the end of 2004.

In some cases, the car would make clearly audible sounds and possibly come to a halt.

In Germany, around 20,000 vehicles would have to be recalled to Audi workshops for examination, he added. The company said owners of the affected cars should bring them to a workshop and leave them there for a day.

Audi said it would compensate the owners for any costs. The spokesman declined to comment on how high the costs could be.

Parent company Volkswagen had the same problem last year with some series of its Touareg and Golf models, a VW spokesman said. The faults had largely been rectified and new problems were not anticipated, he said.

VW and Audi buy some of their parts jointly.

What sort of fault? I haven't noticed anything wrong with my clutch.

trouble is that it looks like those cars are from the american market...

they have strange rules out there, like if it has to go back to the dealers more than 3 times within a certain perion (think it's a year), then you're entitled to a full refund.

My mate was making lotus elises for the USA market, and the amount of waning stickers they had to put all over the car to cover their @rse because of this is unbeleivable.

[ QUOTE ]
trouble is that it looks like those cars are from the american market...

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that the report says some 20,000 cars in Germany will have to be recalled by Audi dealers.

Well, credit to Audi UK, they phoned me back and left a message, albeit vague...

I was advised that <quote>" as it currently stands at the moment my car does not require the recall concerning the clutch at the moment"

Note the duplication of "at the moment" - indicates to me they are keeping the option open and covering themselves should the need arise.

I will phone them back to enquire as to what the recall is about and post any findings here.

[ QUOTE ]
they have strange rules out there, like if it has to go back to the dealers more than 3 times within a certain period (think it's a year), then you're entitled to a full refund.

[/ QUOTE ]

If true,that's not strange,it's brilliant !

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they have strange rules out there, like if it has to go back to the dealers more than 3 times within a certain period (think it's a year), then you're entitled to a full refund.

[/ QUOTE ]

If true,that's not strange,it's brilliant !

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, but the cars got more caveats than an outsourcing contract..

like soft tops which aren't supposed to be weather proof, just incase they leak.

[ QUOTE ]
You noticed that too...

[/ QUOTE ]

It refers to cars built between June 2003 (when production started) and end of 2004 (about when the US started getting the Sportback). So, quite possibly affects no US cars.

It also says 70,000 cars worldwide. That's most of their production run for that period, surely? I thought they only expected to produce about 60-70k a year?

Phoned my dealer today, left message, but no phone call back yet. I'll try again tomorrow.

Just telephoned Audi CS. They now have the official bulletin, and the Reuters report was a little incorrect. It does affect the A3 2.0 TDI 6-speed manual, but it's all cars built after October 2003. She does not know what the difference is between my car (July 2003 build) and the those after October 2003.

It is NOT all cars built after Oct 03 - I have been advsied by Audi UK that my car (2.0 TDi 6sp Manual) reg Feb 04 does not require this recall.

Apparently it is something to do with the fly-wheel & cluch arrangement - I did not have the joy of speaking to technical so do not fully understand what the problem is as it was second hand info <3rd hand now!>

More detailed information is available at
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/104023.

Here is a google translation:

Clutch defect: AUDI recalls A3
AUDI calls world-wide the models A3 2,0 TDI and A3 sportback 2,0 TDI because of a problem with the clutch into the workshops back. Altogether approximately 73,000 models are concerned, approximately 20,000 vehicles of it in Germany.

As a speaker of AUDI explained, a feather/spring in the two-mass flywheel can jump out - particularly with jerky accelerating in lower courses - and the two-mass flywheel to damage. This announces itself according to data of the speaker by a perceptible noise. Concerned only the clutches of the manufacturer are Luk - AUDI A3-Modelle with Sachs clutches do not exhibit this defect.

The owners of the models from the construction period area 6/2003 to 6/2004 are written down over the force travel Federal Office in Flensburg and asked with their vehicles into the workshops. The duration of the repair, with which a new mass flywheel and a new bleed valve are blocked, numbers AUDI with approximately one day.

Already in the year 2005 Volkswagen had to recall the Touran with a similar problem into the workshops.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would one car built in the same period have a problem and another not?

The lady from Audi CS repeated that it was ALL 2.0 TDI manual cars built after Oct 2003, when I queried her. Whether she's been given duff information is another question.

And according to the German bulletin, my car should be included in the recall.

Not if the part in question was from a different manufacturer - I presume there would be a second source for a majority of the cars components such that production would not halt in the event of non availability of certain parts.

I agree it is a tad strange but AUDI UK were certain that my car would not take part in this recall... yet!!

All parts are manufactured in batches, these batches have unique traceability so in instances llike this the number of cars recalled can be reduced to the lowest possible. It is quite possible they have highlighted a problem from certain batches which can be supplier or process related.

I have just spoken to Audi CS about my 05 plate Audi A3 TDI quattro and it is not affected by this recall so it does sound like only some vehicles are affected

This is great news (sorry if I seem a bit mental /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif) for the past 20k miles I have had a tempermental clutch slip when in 4th or above, with the engine "working".

2 test drives with a head tech in situe have not resolved the problem. The standard "we would have to take the gearbox out to examine the problem" quote was getting on my wick.

The car is already booked in for tomorrow (24th) to have a second EGR valve replaced, I think I'll kick up a bit tomorrow.

I'll let you know

PS mine was one of the early pre Oct 2003 build cars

Another one!

I have exactly the same problem with my car!! Audi are of course denying any responsibility.

Apparently the flywheel problem only affects parts that start with LUK - which mine (or so they say) doesn't.

BUT let me say I am also pre Oct 2003. West London Audi have the car in bits at the moment. Clutch not worn, hydraulics OK - what's left - flywheel.

It might be if you mention there are others out there with *exactly* the same fault then something might finally be admitted.

David

Thanks for the response David, please let me know how you get on.

Well, it makes me feel a little better that I am not going mental.

But, the saga gets better.

The car goes in for the EGR valve - it gets fitted.

Test for clutch slip - no problems found

I go to pick the car up & suddenly there is a problem, sorry sir, it seems that there is an issue with your turbo! Have you noticed a whine?

I go out to listen to the car and suddenly (after the test drive by the tech to test for the clutch slip) the turbo is whining like it wants to explode. Sounds like the turbine / bearing is mullered!

Fri afternoon car I think. I'm having a word with Audi CC on Mon to see if there is a chance that my car is a "recallee"

The 'master technician' is now saying that this clutch slip is caused by the pressure plate effectively losing it's spring and consequently not holding the clutch firmly enough against the flywheel.

He's saying this is normal wear and tear but I've never had a car that has done this.

Does this sound reasonable? I wonder if the spec for the clutch is borderline for the torque for the 2.0 tdi.

Shouldn't happen in a modern car I think. What mileage did it start in yours?

That sounds like top class BS to me. The friction place can wear, and after a long time / heavy use I'm sure the pressure plate and fly wheel can also wear. The pressure plate presses against the friction plate using a diaphragm spring. How on earth it would lose its spring, over a few years, is beyond me. It's suppose to be able to handle torque well above what the engine can produce as standard. It's a fault, not wear and tear, surely.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch3.htm

Not at all, they are blagging you on that one, just go into the dealership and go postal on em

I have to agree that the claim sounds a bit BS to me also. I have never had to replace the clutch on a VAG car I have driven until after 100k on the clock in the past!

Mine started at approx 32k - now on 49k, I appreciate this might sound like a long time to do nothing about it, but at first I thought it was me imagining it! Its been into the dealership 3 times now for an accompanied run, & yes you guessed it, everytime there is a tech in the car - the slip is no where to be seen. Perhaps they'll give me a small gimp-tech for the boot, and then I'll never experience the problem again.

Audi CC say that there are no recalls for my car (again this questions whether or not the dual-mass flywheel problem is classed as a recall or not)

Although I did ring the dealer again today to "suggest" that while they were ordering the new turbo, manifold and other bits that all amazingly died on the day the car was in with them for the replacement EGR, that they investigate the potential of the dual mass flywheel being the issue.

The one thing that my limited mechanical knowledge questions is simply that if a clutch starts to slip, it does so at every oportunity, at take off, when you reapply power after a gear change and at anytime on an incline when the car is working. My fault is very tempermental, happening only "when it wants to" with no seeming pattern & consequently sounds like a fault, rather than a worn component.

[ QUOTE ]

The one thing that my limited mechanical knowledge questions is simply that if a clutch starts to slip, it does so at every oportunity, at take off, when you reapply power after a gear change and at anytime on an incline when the car is working. My fault is very tempermental, happening only "when it wants to" with no seeming pattern & consequently sounds like a fault, rather than a worn component.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much agree with that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've just had another long chat with the Audi Dealer and the the very helpful customer services woman.

Audi have authorised them to change the clutch on my car and test (warranty still not decided) but the fact they've authorised the test seems to indicate they may know something.

What she says is that anyone else who has the problem should go to the dealer and make them fill in a DIS report as this will go back to Germany. The more DIS reports - the likelihood they will admit a problem - the more chance of a warranty fix!!!

I have a 2004 3.2 A3 which has done 18,000 miles.

The last 48 hours, driven about 50 miles, and the slight noise I heard a week ago has now turn in to the most horrendous judder, that only seems to happen in 3rd-6th

I seems to calm down after the transmission has been driven for some time.

Going to ring the dealer tomorrow, will post what occurs

Dave

I have found (and I'm sorry for reopening an old thread) but even 2005 (05 plate) 2.0 TDI's are being checked for the fly wheel problem!

Dropped mine off for it's service today and the guy on the service desk said that they might need to bring the car back in to replace the flywheel if when it's checked it's found to be of the faulty (or whatever) batch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Thought it was best to inform you all!

Ours is book in too, had recall notice through the post!

Had a lett in post myself about this this morning. What symptoms does a faulty Dual mass flywheel display?

I also had a letter in the post this week...my car is booked in to be checked on monday morning.

mine also booked in for monday

would be interested, if anyone has had a flywheel replaced

imagine thats a hefty job - gearbox off the lot. Plenty of room for error there!

Ours was checked on Saturday, all is good thought, hehe!!

look like mine in nextweek for a new flywheel

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

r well at least its under warrenty

My Stealer confirmed that mine didn't require a replacement when it was serviced, and then I recieved the letter saying and needed to get it checked...

Well, after the inspection today they have confirmed that I need a flywheel replacement, and that's booked in for next Tuesday. Something to look forward to!