noise when starting

basim

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a new A3 sportback that started making grinding metal on metal noise when reversing and setting off every morning within a week after purchase.This noise disappears later on.I took it back the dealer who kept overnight had a look and said this is normal.However I have never had this noise in any of the cars I bought in the past and certainly not in the courtesy car . It is loud enough in the morning that my family and next door neighbour can hear from inside.I said this to the dealer but he said what he has heard is normal.

I am worried this could be a start of a major fault in the car.

Has anyone experienced this?

Can anyone advise please?

Metal on metal does sound like flywheel/starter issue.

Is it when starting the car or reversing/setting off in 1st, as the title and the OP say different. If when starting then possibly starter motor, if when engaging gears it could be flywheel, unless it is only certain gears, in which case it could be gearbox, synchros and the such.

Hi,

I start the car and the noise appears as I reverse to come off the drive into the road then disppears later .i.e even when I start and reverse when I am at work or at the shop after half an hour. It happens every morning .Thanks

If it's only when you are moving the car from stationary, I would bet on gearbox/synchros/CV joint.

Bake discs...... Perhaps pads sticking a little. May disappear with use / normal wear.

The noise is with reversing before I use the brakes to stop the car at the end .

Basim, do you set the handbrake on after stopping in the driveway? If so, I would suggest you try to leave it off overnight, with the gearbox engaged (and a brick behind a back wheel). If the noise disappears, it will be the handbrake mechanism not releasing the pads properly, or a pad sticking on the disk. Just an idea.

Like I said brakes binding. As above leave handbrake off and car in gear or Park.