A3 3.2 V6 PCV valve diaphragm replacement

rob1234

Reaction score
I had an extremely poor idle, and thanks to the below threads diagnosed it to a failed PCV valve.

However, on the 3.2 VR6, the PCV arrangement is under the valve cover. Which is under the inlet manifold. Which can't be removed without sliding forward the slam panel. Which can't be done unless you remove the bumper...

Anyway, I read the following threads:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...phragm-whistling-sound-hole-rocker-cover.html

VWVortex.com - Valve Cover problems on MKV R32

My PCV valve replacement on Audi A3 3.2, aka shoot me in the face please

and with a bit of help from this thread: VWVortex.com - TT 3.2 Schrick 268 Cams Install

saved myself 8 hours labour or so at a garage and fixed it.

Simple steps (from memory):

Remove undertray
Remove wheels
Undo wheelarch screws
Undo front bumper screws and nut
Undo 3 screws on top of bumper
Pull out bumper
Disconnect headlamp washer tube
Disconnect foglight connectors
Disconnect lower coolant hose guide

Remove 8x impact bumper bolts
Insert 4x long bolts in top holes
Remove 3x vertical screws by headlights
Pull front slam panel out slightly to check movement OK

Remove all coilpack plugs
Remove all coilpacks

Take out air intake feed
Remove throttle body
Remove manifold bolts at side
Remove all vacuum hoses on manifold
Remove performance port changeover barrel end-piece
Remove/move all wires connected to manifold
Remove 2x bolts holding dipstick guide in
Remove 9x bolts on front of manifold
Remove manifold

Undo all vertical bolts on cam cover (and 2 nuts)
Undo anything connected to cam cover
Remove valve cover

Remove PCV valve from valve cover (torx screws, then lever out)
Remove circular cap from PCV assembly
Inspect rubber diaphragm
Replace rubber diaphragm!

Pics (click for larger):

The bolts I used to move the slam panel ("lock carrier to service position" in VAG parlance):

Halfway stage:

All the bolts removed:

Cover off:

PCV valve/oil separator assembly:

The innocent looking bit of rubber:

And the reason for the whole business - the whole thing was very perished:

And to quote Haynes - "Assembly is the reverse of disassembly"!

As mentioned, although the PCV/cyclone assembly has a part number (022 103 515 A), it does;t seem to be available separately. However, I can confirm that the rubber diaphragm in the 2.0 TFSI PCV (06F 129 101 N) fits and works perfectly.

Many thanks especially to the user VagPro on this forum. This is not a difficult task, just a bit of a pain - I am very much an amateur and it took me about 7 hours all in, not rushing at all. However, I had all the tools needed and a workshop to use with a lift! Any questions, please ask.

Reactions: adriluhe
JJ.Foulds - Yep a ridiculous design!

autolatry - Ouch. In comparison the 2.0 TFSI PCV was £38.68 today, which I thought was steep seeing as all I needed was 50p's worth of rubber...

Yeah it's a killer. Just another receipt in the pile.
I'm selling the car and it's become very apparent I'm about to lose a lot of money.

Did you get your bumper back on easily enough? I struggle to get it to sit flush where it meets the door. Those three screws and that 10mm bolt are a pain.

Yep, bumper seemed to go back on fine - found the 10mm bolt easy enough with a long extension, but admit the screws are a pain.

How bad was the idle? Did it throw up anything on VAGCOM before you decided that it was the PCV valve diaphragm?

It was pretty bad, and VCDS said multiple misfires but nothing specific. The giveaway was the hissing from the rocker cover hole, and that it was fine once the hose from the inlet manifold was removed and blocked.

Sorry if this is reviving an old thread but I'm new to vw/Audi. I have recently picked up a 2008 R32 with the 3.2 v6, I've looked over every forum listing the problem and this seems like the most cost effective fix, just wanted to double check that the 2.0 TFSI diaphragm mentioned above will also suit the R32? (Or if there is any other cheap fix?) happy to do the labour myself as I'm no stranger to getting on the tools.

Thanks in advance
Stu

Engine is exactly the same, so should work fine.

Mine has been well ever since by the way.

Thanks Rob,

Just had a look for the part number and it looks like its been updated to 06F 129 101 P. When i search for this it looks like you get a whole assembly.... assuming I can open it easily enough to get the diaphragm out to use in my rocker cover?

Yep, easy to disassemble. Seems a shame to have to buy the whole thing for a small rubber diaphragm, but cheaper than any other alternative I could find!

Rob this post is helping me a hell of a lot.My 2007 tt decided to go south this week and I am very glad on the detail of your post.Is the 2.0tfsi diaphragm still doing the trick as I have to make a call on which direction to go here.Its just completely crazy to have to buy the entire valve cover....what were they thinking.

Glad this continues to be of help!

Yep, car is still running flawlessly 15000 miles later.

PS car will probably be up for sale in the next 6 months or so, so if anyone knows of someone who is after a well looked after A3 3.2 DSG 5-dr give me a PM...!

PS car will probably be up for sale in the next 6 months or so, so if anyone knows of someone who is after a well looked after A3 3.2 DSG 5-dr give me a PM...!
Any possibility of getting your picture links rebuilt...? Seems they're no longer working