Volks AutosAH Fabrications

Thread: IGO 8 on RNS-E

Neutral

Status

IGO 8 on RNS-E

Hi All,

I've been looking around the internet (dangerous I know!) for running alternative navigation on the RNS-E. I have a RNS-E with the CD/TV button with 2012 maps however It really annoys me that I cannot see street names when I'm driving. To me viewing the nearby streets is really important when navigating as you may be looking for a specific road ahead of your current location.

In my golf I had a waywell Chinese navigation unit which TBH made the expensive RNS-E look retro (to start the navigation loads from an SD card not the DVD player) It ran IGO 8 maps which I thought was fantastic I could clearly see the road I was passing, which lane I should be in etc..

I've found a few videos from our friends in Russia where they use an RNS-E with IGO 8 maps however I cannot find any information on how they achieved this!

RNS-E and NAVI IGO.avi - YouTube

Does anyone know how it is done?

I am a fan on my R-NSE but If I'm honest its flaws are steering me towards buying one of the Chinese units...
    A3-8P2.0LTDISport . Akoya Silver Metallic
    |RNSE Retrofit|Carbon Interior|LED DRL Retrofit|LED Dipped Beam Bulbs|CH/LH Retrofit|More to come!

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    You can bring street names up, have a play while you're parked up! When you have the map up, just turn the selector knob and it will zoom in or out to different ranges around the car.

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    doubt it's easy. on the video is a touchscreen unit too.
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    im sure its an rns-e unit with the inners swapped around

4th Gear

Status
    It is an RNS-E where they've changed the screen on internals to make it run the way it does. As mentioned previously, street detail depends on the speed at which you're traveling. The rns-e will automatically zoom out to less detail the faster you go, vice versa. As far as i'm aware theres no real solution to making the maps better aside from changing the unit altogether to something aftermarket.
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

3rd Gear

Status
    they have used the Multifunction navigation control unit which they sell on there site with the addition of a touchscreen overlay on the rnse screen .

probably not that difficult to achieve the touch screen ,but the price is in rubels . 17,056.00 RUB = 290.18 GBP

used to have a full car pc setup in a mk5 golf some years back . so can be done .