AH FabricationsSky Insurance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Geraldy212

Thread: Limp mode when cold

1st Gear

Status

Limp mode when cold

Hello

I've noticed my car sometimes goes in to limp mode but only from a cold start , I don't boot it or anything until I get on the motorway up the road from me and that's when straight away I notice it's in limp mode, it never seems to happen when the engine is warm no matter how hard I give it, just been on a round trip to Norfolk and back from London and it was ok and I was flooring it to see if it would go back in to limp mode but nothing, just seems to be when cold .

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    55 plate Audi A3 2.0 tdi 140 sportback

07 plate BMW M5 estate with lots of extra power.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Any ideas ?

Cheers

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow SmithyAG On Twitter
    If it's going into limp mode it will be logging a fault, even if it's not put the engine light on.

How many times has this happened? Most times it will log an "intermittent" fault, until it has occurred a set number of times. For example when mine would go into limp mode it would log an intermittent "overboost" code, and only on the 3rd time of it happening would the fault become "permanent" and light the engine management light.

Best thing to do would be to get it scanned. Bearing in mind not all cheap scanners can read intermittent faults. I used a bluetooth OBD2 tool and Torque Pro android app (total cost about £10), and that read the codes no problem.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithyAG View Post
    If it's going into limp mode it will be logging a fault, even if it's not put the engine light on.

How many times has this happened? Most times it will log an "intermittent" fault, until it has occurred a set number of times. For example when mine would go into limp mode it would log an intermittent "overboost" code, and only on the 3rd time of it happening would the fault become "permanent" and light the engine management light.

Best thing to do would be to get it scanned. Bearing in mind not all cheap scanners can read intermittent faults. I used a bluetooth OBD2 tool and Torque Pro android app (total cost about £10), and that read the codes no problem.
    Hello thanks for all the info, it has happened probably 4 or 5 times now,

I actually come across those Bluetooth obd tools, I might get one for the sake of a few quid.

Just find it strange that it only does it when it's cold .

Cheers

Sportback owner

Status
    It is possible that the turbo vanes are stuck open when cold, and only begin to operate correctly when the engine warms up? This would probably cause a temporary over boost condition, and then with heat they close down. Worth while also checking the actuator mechanism operation (is it free to operate) if it may be sticking when cold. Just an idea.
    French A3 Sportback 2006, 2.0L 140 TDI, DSG, RSN-E, Ambient lighting, Auto-lights/wipers, Reverse assist, Dolphin Grey, 17" wheels, Leather seats, Cruise control, Roof bars.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldy212 View Post
    It is possible that the turbo vanes are stuck open when cold, and only begin to operate correctly when the engine warms up? This would probably cause a temporary over boost condition, and then with heat they close down. Worth while also checking the actuator mechanism operation (is it free to operate) if it may be sticking when cold. Just an idea.
    Hello thanks

How can the vanes be checked? If they are stuck open is there a fix for this without buying a new part?

Cheers

Sportback owner

Status
    Alex, I am not an expert on turbos. but what I would is to get the car on a ramp, and have a mechanic check to see if the turbo vanes are being moved by the actuator. If they are not moving smoothly, then it is a problem with the actuator, or with the vanes. Turbo vanes become encrusted with burnt carbon, and the whole vane mechanism inside the turbo needs to be cleaned. The turbo needs to come off to do it properly. However, there are multiple threads on this forum concerning limp mode, turbo cleaning etc as it is a frequent problem on the BKD. Try a search. You will also find threads on turbo cleaning that is done without taking the turbo off. Not really sure if this is really a long-term solution, but some members have had some success with it and have posted the process for others to try. If you have not already had a full VCDS scan done, I would recommend it. There are many members on this forum who will do this for you. Post the results so that members can suggest solutions. Good luck.
    Alex_007 likes this.
    French A3 Sportback 2006, 2.0L 140 TDI, DSG, RSN-E, Ambient lighting, Auto-lights/wipers, Reverse assist, Dolphin Grey, 17" wheels, Leather seats, Cruise control, Roof bars.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldy212 View Post
    Alex, I am not an expert on turbos. but what I would is to get the car on a ramp, and have a mechanic check to see if the turbo vanes are being moved by the actuator. If they are not moving smoothly, then it is a problem with the actuator, or with the vanes. Turbo vanes become encrusted with burnt carbon, and the whole vane mechanism inside the turbo needs to be cleaned. The turbo needs to come off to do it properly. However, there are multiple threads on this forum concerning limp mode, turbo cleaning etc as it is a frequent problem on the BKD. Try a search. You will also find threads on turbo cleaning that is done without taking the turbo off. Not really sure if this is really a long-term solution, but some members have had some success with it and have posted the process for others to try. If you have not already had a full VCDS scan done, I would recommend it. There are many members on this forum who will do this for you. Post the results so that members can suggest solutions. Good luck.
    Ok many thanks for the advice,

I've not yet had a full VCDS scan yet but will get one sorted before I try anything at the garage.

I will take a look at the cleaning solutions and hopefully it will sort it out.

I will post back with the results as soon as it's sorted .

Cheers