Cree LED bulbs?

MJR

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm going to change my reverse light bulbs for Cree LED ones because the normal bulbs i currently have are rubbish and i cant see a thing when reversing, ive heard the Cree LEDs are the way to go, however, ive also heard a few of the Cree bulbs give error messages so obviously im after some that wont do that, can anyone help me with which ones i specifically need for my car please, they are for an Audi A3 2.0 TDi (5Dr) - (2005) - links to the ones i need would be very helpful, thanks!

Thanks mate, i spoke to Halfords a bit earlier and they looked through their catalogue after i gave them my reg, the normal bulbs they showed me for my car had a flat connection, so i assume the Cree LED ones in that link wont fit, im trying to get the standard bulbs out but i cant seem to gain access, i unplugged the wire but i cant get the bulb holder out?, if i can ever manage to get them out and i get the right Cree LED bulbs to replace the standard rubbish bulbs i currently have ill post a pic to show how much brighter they are.

Two threads running concurrently at the moment about this subject and quite rightly as was one of the biggest and most noticeable issues when I bought my 2011 S3 two months ago. I recently installed one of these which made a big difference and WITHOUT CANBUS ERROR: 382 P21W WHITE 60W XBD CREE SMD 12*5W CANBUS INDICATOR LED - EXTREME BRIGHT LED | eBay.

However, single reverse bulb through narrow aperture does seem a bit senseless to me?

They are the right fitment in the link.

Trups

They are completely the wrong ones mate, my car is a 2005 Audi A3 TDI, Ive managed to remove the casing and take my bulb out, here's a pic.....

<<<< They say W5W on them, so i assume i would be needed something that matches that code?

Last edited:
They are completely the wrong ones mate, my car is a 2005 Audi A3 TDI, Ive managed to remove the casing and take my bulb out, here's a pic.....

<<<< They say W5W on them, so i assume i would be needed something that matches that code?

Is your car a Sportback? That looks like a W16W bulb or similar which is definitely NOT the same as the 3-door reverse/back-up light bulb.

Take a look at the Osram bulb guide: OSRAM Automotive Lighting - Search and find quickly

Reactions: MJR
Thats a brilliant page mate, thanks for posting that, i put my details in, mine is a 2.0 TDI Sportback (103kw) 8PA version, it does say the W16W is the type i need, which is strange because i pulled that W5W bulb out?

Reactions: Tonka Toy
Thats a brilliant page mate, thanks for posting that, i put my details in, mine is a 2.0 TDI Sportback (103kw) 8PA version, it does say the W16W is the type i need, which is strange because i pulled that W5W bulb out?

Yeah, it's a great help and seems to be spot-on too. I'm no mechanic but changed all my interior bubs to LED using the guide and it also got the reverse light bulb application correct too without me having to first remove and dismantle the whole light fitting.

Look like someone put smaller bulbs in your car at some point so W16W should be a bit brighter and help visibility. You can still get canbus cree bulbs to replace the standard type and suggest you look at these: 921 W18W (T15) 25W 5*5W CANBUS CREE XBD HIGH POWER SMD LED - WHITE (PAIR 2pcs) | eBay.

Good luck buddy!:thumbsup:

Yeah, it's a great help and seems to be spot-on too. I'm no mechanic but changed all my interior bubs to LED using the guide and it also got the reverse light bulb application correct too without me having to first remove and dismantle the whole light fitting.

Look like someone put smaller bulbs in your car at some point so W16W should be a bit brighter and help visibility. You can still get canbus cree bulbs to replace the standard type and suggest you look at these: 921 W18W (T15) 25W 5*5W CANBUS CREE XBD HIGH POWER SMD LED - WHITE (PAIR 2pcs) | eBay.

Good luck buddy!:thumbsup:

Thanks again mate you have been a real help to me, those in the link you provided are 25w which is more than double that i have been looking at lol :0 there going to light up my street lol, great stuff, the only thing concerning me is that code, its a bit different, will they still be ok being W18W seeing as mine should be W16W? - (I have no idea what that means btw, lol)

Thanks again mate you have been a real help to me, those in the link you provided are 25w which is more than double that i have been looking at lol :0 there going to light up my street lol, great stuff, the only thing concerning me is that code, its a bit different, will they still be ok being W18W seeing as mine should be W16W? - (I have no idea what that means btw, lol)

No problem mate.

I'm no expert but these bulbs should be compatible. The base of your present W5W bulb is the same 9.5x2.1 size as a W16W bulb and they're all T15, as is the 25w LED cree. It's just the size of the glass globe that differs. Here's another Osram bulb guide which shows the technical differences: Automotive – Cars | Automotive lamps | OSRAM. Check out the "signal lamps" section and see technical data for 921 (W16W) and 2825 (W5W). You can compare outputs and sizes.

The cree LED 25w output should indeed be very bright, especially compared to your present W5W bulb. If you're thinking of buying the LEDs, you should ring the seller to confirm suitability (call Dale on 0161 793 9236 for advice).

Once again, good luck!:thumbsup:

Great info there pal, thanks very much ;)

Looking forwardto seeing the before and after pictures.
I've been debating to change my reverse light since i got the car, but just couldn't decide which bulb to get!

Reactions: s3_trev
Hi haven,t looked at mine bit off a noob question do u need 1 or 2 iv'e got a 2010 plate facelift

The Results are in....

(LEFT) = Cree 25w
(RIGHT) = STD W16W

(BOTH) = Cree 25W Bulbs

(LANE TEST) = BEFORE .......TAKEN FROM INSIDE CAR

(LANE TEST) = AFTER .......TAKEN FROM SIDE OF CAR

Although i think the W18W Cree bulbs look great, Ive had trouble installing them though, but they are in now, i think they are a bit temperamental because they didn't seem to click in as the W16W bulbs did for a nice solid connection, and when i turn the car on, the left Cree bulb seems to flash a few times, also, i did get a few errors on the dash during testing, i tried turning the bulb around but the error remained, in a fed up mood i turned the car off and went home for an hour before having another shot at it, when i returned, miraculously, the errors had gone?, which has got me stumped a bit, the only thing i can think of that was causing the errors is the connection, so i might take it apart tomorrow and use duck tape to secure the bulbs in place so there's no movement at all, hopefully that will do it, it is such a frustrating job to get at the bulbs, i wish there was an easier way but there's not, so if i leave them as they are and i drive over a bump, i feel like they are likely to come loose, im a bit disappointed that they don't fit like the W16W bulbs do, but they are great bulbs none the less, there just a bit of a pain if fitting in an 2005 - 8PA - 103KW Version of the Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sportback, if i continue to have issues i may look at upgrading the lights housing, i wanted to do that anyway just not this soon, lol, although if i do that i bet these bulbs wont fit then, ill have to get new ones again? - if there's any pointers or info that anyone thinks may help then please feel free.

Bulbs look superb..., massive improvement! Thanks for the pix. :thumbsup:

Sounds like your canbus had a bit of a strop and perhaps your bulbs need a dab of superglue?

Sounds like your canbus had a bit of a strop and perhaps your bulbs need a dab of superglue?

Superglue?? Really???

As for the flashing u experience on start up, seems to be normal for all led's in canbus cars. On first start up the car goes through a cold scan phase in which it pulses power through the lighting system to check to see if all the lights work. On normal halogens u wouldnt see it but because the leds require much less power to work ull see it flashing.

As for the flashing u experience on start up, seems to be normal for all led's in canbus cars. On first start up the car goes through a cold scan phase in which it pulses power through the lighting system to check to see if all the lights work. On normal halogens u wouldnt see it but because the leds require much less power to work ull see it flashing.

Thing is, the right one doesn't flash, its only the left one?

Thanks mate, i agree, it is a huge improvement, I'm a bit skeptical about using glue to steady them though, the problem i can see with that is what if i need to change them due to fault or damage in the future, i imagine i would have quite a fight on my hands! - I've contacted the shop i bought them from for some more advice so ill see what they say before i mess with it, they might advice me to change them!

I fitted this bulb yesterday and the light output is phenomenal.....unfortunately I did t take a before and after pic. I'd highly recommend getting 1 if you're on the look out for 1 and also like it says it's error free too

You have any issues fitting mate? You 3 or 5 door?

Nope no issues at all was just a simple swap over with existing bulb. I fitted the bulb to my 3dr mate.

Reactions: s3_trev
Thanks mate, i agree, it is a huge improvement, I'm a bit skeptical about using glue to steady them though, the problem i can see with that is what if i need to change them due to fault or damage in the future, i imagine i would have quite a fight on my hands! - I've contacted the shop i bought them from for some more advice so ill see what they say before i mess with it, they might advice me to change them!

Totally agree, don't go slapping the superglue everywhere (yet) as it will invalidate return if you need to. I've used the tiniest dab in the past with bits and pieces but never wholesale splodges. The bulbs really shouldn't need it anyway so there's clearly a more obvious issue that needs resolving properly.., and NOT bodged. :whistle2:

If it was HIDs Direct then definitely call Dale on 0161 793 9236 in person as he's really helpful and will resolve matters amicable.

Totally agree, don't go slapping the superglue everywhere (yet) as it will invalidate return if you need to. I've used the tiniest dab in the past with bits and pieces but never wholesale splodges. The bulbs really shouldn't need it anyway so there's clearly a more obvious issue that needs resolving properly.., and NOT bodged. :whistle2:

If it was HIDs Direct then definitely call Dale on 0161 793 9236 in person as he's really helpful and will resolve matters amicable.

Yeah it was HIDs Direct, I've already sent them an email now so ill wait for a reply before contacting Dale, thanks for the advice mate!

On another note, I've just driven to and from the gym, no errors to report and the lights still work so despite my worries everything does seem fine, maybe its just me being a fussy ****** lol :D

Yeah it was HIDs Direct, I've already sent them an email now so ill wait for a reply before contacting Dale, thanks for the advice mate!

On another note, I've just driven to and from the gym, no errors to report and the lights still work so despite my worries everything does seem fine, maybe its just me being a fussy ****** lol :D

Nobody's a fussier ****** than me so I fully appreciate your concerns.

It's great to hear your canbus has now settled down and the difference IS dramatic so hopefully it was worth the hassle. I installed the 60w cree LED in my single (???) reverse light but the standard 10w OEM halogen bulb was completely useless. I've also installed the canbus 4300k HID kit from HIDs Direct in the front fog lights and they look great when opening or locking car through leaving home/coming home feature. No canbus errors, happy days!

Hey guys just fitted one of the cree bulbs tonight

1x P21W 50W CREE LED 1156 382 BA15s REVERSE BULBS AUDI DRL DAYTIME DRL BMW | eBay

And I am happy with the light output, but the fly in the ointment is that they flash 5 times as soon as I turn the ignition on, which I am really not happy about. I tried turning off cold bulb diagnosis in VCDS for backup light, but this made no difference.

Anyone any suggestions?

Hey guys just fitted one of the cree bulbs tonight

1x P21W 50W CREE LED 1156 382 BA15s REVERSE BULBS AUDI DRL DAYTIME DRL BMW | eBay

And I am happy with the light output, but the fly in the ointment is that they flash 5 times as soon as I turn the ignition on, which I am really not happy about. I tried turning off cold bulb diagnosis in VCDS for backup light, but this made no difference.

Anyone any suggestions?

Correct me if I'm wrong but these LEDs don't claim to be canbus bulbs? I'm no expert but that may be the reason as my canbus LEDs don't flash as the system does its' initial checks. But clearly the resistance load is still sufficient to not create canbus errors. Hmmmm??:uhm:

Correct me if I'm wrong but these LEDs don't claim to be canbus bulbs? I'm no expert but that may be the reason as my canbus LEDs don't flash as the system does its' initial checks. But clearly the resistance load is still sufficient to not create canbus errors. Hmmmm??:uhm:

Yeah you could be correct actually. I did notice this. It took me a while to find a seller just selling a single bulb, so I just went with it assuming it would be canbus. Ive sent them a question just now asking about this.

Yeah you could be correct actually. I did notice this. It took me a while to find a seller just selling a single bulb, so I just went with it assuming it would be canbus. Ive sent them a question just now asking about this.

I've used this seller myself for resistors and they are quite knowledgeable about Audi canbus problems. Let's hope they're prepared to resolve the issue for you.

Btw I bought a single LED despite the seller advertising as pair. Mine was 60w and sold as canbus which works fine: 382 P21W WHITE 60W XBD CREE SMD 12*5W CANBUS INDICATOR LED - EXTREME BRIGHT LED | eBay. The seller said these bulbs were UK manufactured and not Chinese so perhaps they are all different..., despite looking the same?

I've used this seller myself for resistors and they are quite knowledgeable about Audi canbus problems. Let's hope they're prepared to resolve the issue for you.

Btw I bought a single LED despite the seller advertising as pair. Mine was 60w and sold as canbus which works fine: 382 P21W WHITE 60W XBD CREE SMD 12*5W CANBUS INDICATOR LED - EXTREME BRIGHT LED | eBay. The seller said these bulbs were UK manufactured and not Chinese so perhaps they are all different..., despite looking the same?

They replied telling me it was normal and a "safety feature" LOL. I asked if they have a Canbus version in stock or Il ask for my money back.

That link you posted there - that price must be for a pair? I have actually messaged these guys before asking to sell me a single bulb and they told me to ring them! Did you have to ring them to get your single bulb??

Il wait to see how I get on with the seller I bought mine from first, as I dont want to end up with two! lol.

The listing says the seller accepts returns so send it back within seven days. Distance Selling Regulations gives you protection to return items for full refund anyway but you will probably end up having to pay return postage: Distance Selling Regulations - Which?

Good luck!

The listing says the seller accepts returns so send it back within seven days. Distance Selling Regulations gives you protection to return items for full refund anyway but you will probably end up having to pay return postage: Distance Selling Regulations - Which?

Good luck!

Ok thanks. They have just replied with this:

"Hi

Many thanks. For your answer

I would ask you to actually look at their cars to check for yourself as I don't believe this

I know by measuring on a meter this bulb has a stronger canbus function by atleast 3 times then any other canbus bulb that's not 50w Cree

I don't personally think it's possible"

Hes saying here that he doesnt think its possible for this type of bulb NOT to flash when the ignition is turned on...

Last edited:
Ok thanks. They have just replied with this:

"Hi

Many thanks. For your answer

I would ask you to actually look at their cars to check for yourself as I don't believe this

I know by measuring on a meter this bulb has a stronger canbus function by atleast 3 times then any other canbus bulb that's not 50w Cree

I don't personally think it's possible"

Hes saying here that he doesnt think its possible for this type of bulb NOT to flash when the ignition is turned on...

Sounds like he's calling you a liar Trev and he certainly doesn't believe you. Whatever happened to the expression "the customer is always right?"

You're not happy, it's not suitable and it doesn't meet your requirements, so exercise you legal right to return for full refund. Do NOT accept a charge for outward postage as they are obliged to refund the purchase price in full. However, it's going to cost you a couple of quid for Recorded Delivery return postage and a jiffy bag. If you want further guarantees, raise an "item not as described" ebay dispute requesting refund and you're covered..., as I've done many times without a problem.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

for those of you wanting to upgrade to led's for the non-yellow look, stay away from the tower bulbs for reverse lamps, clearly they don't work so well in the reflector housing, the cree bulb on the other hand projects the light out. not relying on the reflector at all, it has the greatest output, distance, and clarity.