Darkside Developments Cone filter ??

Greenwood

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been debating whether to get the Cone filter from Darkside for my 2.0 TDI 140PD, as I've heard from people that the cones just drag in a lot of warm air from the engine and that its obviously not good for it ? While still debating whether to get one i went and bought the K&N panel filter but don't think i hardly noticed a difference ?

Is anybody running a cone filter on their TDI and encountered any problems, or improvements ?

cheers Alex :)

You're correct on the engine sucking in hot air isn't good for performance, colder the air the better :) As its more dense, thus more air.

Reason you didn't notice a difference is because the standard filter is good for 230BHP apparently, you'll have to get it remapped to make any sort of difference with other supporting modifications to get over the 230BHP mark.

I had an ITG Maxogen on my 140 a little while ago, more turbo noise, but no performance gains and also found it was running lean (too much air) to fuel ratio, which was giving me a hesitation/splutter at certain revs when at cruising speeds, came straight off and put the original back on.

You're correct on the engine sucking in hot air isn't good for performance, colder the air the better :) As its more dense, thus more air.

Reason you didn't notice a difference is because the standard filter is good for 230BHP apparently, you'll have to get it remapped to make any sort of difference with other supporting modifications to get over the 230BHP mark.

I had an ITG Maxogen on my 140 a little while ago, more turbo noise, but no performance gains and also found it was running lean (too much air) to fuel ratio, which was giving me a hesitation/splutter at certain revs when at cruising speeds, came straight off and put the original back on.

Cheers mate, i don't think i'll be taking it off anytime soon then haha

At the minute its stage 1 mapped and got full straight through pipe and decat

I've always had aftermarket panel filters eg pipercross less restrictive and more Turbo noise.

Plus all you need to do is wash them every so often.

Cheers Dan

I'm pretty sure darkside advised me against running sponge cone and panel filters warning about letting crap into the intake...

I'm pretty sure darkside advised me against running sponge cone and panel filters warning about letting crap into the intake...

ITG test their filters in the Dakar rally for dirt ingress. They use a special 3 ply foam soaked in silkolene oil which has one of the best dirt particle captures of any foam system on the market. Hence why Vauxhall used them in the BTCC, Red Bull used them in F1 and numerous other race brands used them across other forms of motorsport. I'd trust them as a filter above pretty much every other aftermarket brand if I'm honest, I am always dubious when suppliers knock other peoples products to help sell their own.

I've never had any problems in the past, but there's always the others like K and N.

I have heard of very small particals getting on the turbo compressor blades but surely if it cleaned regular this won't happen.

Cheers Dan

Are the foam filters MAF friendly? I know the old MAFs weren't very happy with the spray on oil on foam filters as it would stick to the MAF element and prevent it from reading airflow accurately.

Are the foam filters MAF friendly? I know the old MAFs weren't very happy with the spray on oil on foam filters as it would stick to the MAF element and prevent it from reading airflow accurately.

I had the ITG on my last s3 for 30,000 miles, no issues at all. I've then gone on the run a Revo CAI on this car and it's not missed a beat. The MAF's are constructed very differently these days and are largely shielded from debris ingress. You do still get the odd failure but it's usually down to the MAF itself failing rather than dirt ingress.

Reactions: Westy
I had the ITG on my last s3 for 30,000 miles, no issues at all. I've then gone on the run a Revo CAI on this car and it's not missed a beat. The MAF's are constructed very differently these days and are largely shielded from debris ingress. You do still get the odd failure but it's usually down to the MAF itself failing rather than dirt ingress.

Thanks warren. I'm afraid you guys will have to bear with me while I get up to speed with all things 8P :friends:

Reactions: warren_S5