A3 2.0TDi DSG Wet Clutch?

alpesh26

Reaction score
My dad is after changing his mk6 Golf 1.6TDi DSG for an A3 2.0 TDi DSG. Does anyone know if the A3 uses a wet clutch system?

The golf 1.6TDi uses a dry clutch system which is too snatchy and is eating the clutches. It's already had a new pair of clutches fitted, mechatronic and a new gearbox (under warranty) but the problem has come back so it's time to get rid!

TIA

On the newer stronic boxes they're dry afaik, the older dsg boxes are wet.

There has been a recall for some stronic boxes, recently aswell iirc.

ah cheers, the car he's looking at is a 2011 (61 plate). Do you know when they all went to dry clutches?

Was it a 6 speed or 7 speed in his Golf? Being a Mk 6 it must be fairly new?

The golf is a 7 speed on a 2009 - 59 plate. I'm going to get him to call the garage and find out if the A3 is a 6 or a 7 speed box, i'm under the assumption that the 6 speeds will be wet clutch - please could someone confirm?

My understanding was all the diesel S-tronic boxes were wet plate as this leads to a higher torque handling capacity? I could be completely wrong though. Again, as far as I know all the 2.0TDi S-tronic boxes are wet plate.

All 6 speed DSGs have wet clutch.
The 7 speed ones come with both dry and wet clutches.
The first 7 speed boxes were installed on smaller engines, like the 1.4 122 TSI, 1.6 TDI, 1.2 TSI and have the dry clutch.
Since 2010 IIRC, there are new 7 speed boxes with wet clutches but these can be found on bigger engines and I think they are for 4wd cars. You can find them in the newer A4, A5, Tiguan etc.

So, the 1.6 TDI Golf has the 7 speed dry clutch gearbox.
The 2.0 TDI A3 has the 6 speed wet clutch gearbox.

If you have access to VCDS, It'll give the model of DSG/S-Tronic box fitted.
From there I'm sure you'll be able to find the definitive answer to the question.

Thanks lads! I take it I just need the gearbox code and do a quick google to confirm?