A3 8P 2.0 FSi tiptronic - is this normal ?

Garfybeds

Reaction score
I have only recently got this car (05, 51k) and love it. However, I have noticed a characteristic when accelerating that I don't know whether it is normal

When accelerating and 25-30mph, I get a sensation almost as though the engine is rocking left to right and therefore making the car feel as though it is wobbling. I got the wheels balanced and tracking done to eliminate that as a problem - and it certainly got rid of some shake I was experiencing on the motorway. While that was being done, the mechanic had a quick look at the bits around the wheels and didn't spot anything.

So, is this a characteristic of the 2.0 engine combined with the tiptronic box, or is there something worn in the steering or bearings or something. I welcome your opinions but if you post anything scary, please explain on what basis so I don't panic !

Cheers folks.

I got an a3 1.8tfsi and never had this problems. Maybe vaccume leak which can cause engine to shake. Get it checked out, hope it's nothin serious.

I had the same issue on my 2006 A3 2.0 TFSI, Turned out to be a coil pack. But this was pretty noticeable and I replaced it the same day. It is perfect now.

Reactions: Hoesty
Guys - this is a 2.0 FSi with tiptronic, not TFSi. However, the comment regarding the coil pack is interesting - is there a way to diagnose that ?

Have you plugged the car in yet to see if there is any fault codes??

I plugged the car in the other day. The only faults showing were one on the HVAC and one on the steering wheel