RS3 Wheels and Tyre Options

Adam_A3_

Reaction score
Hi all

I was hoping for a little help here.

I have purchased some Genuine 19" RS3 wheels for my car. Two of the wheels are 8.0j ET50 and two are 8.5j ET53.

I know the 8.5j wheels are to be put on the front and was wondering what tyres i can run on my sportback a3 with out any rubbing?

The car is lowered on Eibach Sportlines.

Any help is appreciated. For more info on the car please see the thread below:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...725-my-overdue-audi-a3-conversion-thread.html

Thanks

I ran 235/35/19's without rubbing, but if I added a 5mm spacer the rear would rub even with the arch liner screws out.

Right. How does stretching work? Can most tyre places do this? Or is it quite specific?

225/35/19 on an 8J rim are not stretched and that's the standard size tyre for the rear of the RS3, that said most people with 8J all round switched to 235/35/19 all round come tyre change for simplicity.

8.5J on the front was an optional wheel and the recommended tyre size for them was 255/30/19, this option was available to supposedly improve understeer.

Don't know if you would be interested but I'll ask anyway....

I'd swap you 2 x excellent condition genuine RS3 8J rims and 4 X Uniroyal Rainsport 2 235/35/19 with 5mm+ on all for just your two 8.5J rims?

225/35/19 on an 8J rim are not stretched and that's the standard size tyre for the rear of the RS3, that said most people with 8J all round switched to 235/35/19 all round come tyre change for simplicity.

8.5J on the front was an optional wheel and the recommended tyre size for them was 255/30/19, this option was available to supposedly improve understeer.

Don't know if you would be interested but I'll ask anyway....

I'd swap you 2 x excellent condition genuine RS3 8J rims and 4 X Uniroyal Rainsport 2 235/35/19 with 5mm+ on all for just your two 8.5J rims?

That sounds like a good deal to me Adam, i'd jump at that.... 4x 8J is more than you need considering its a conversion... Plus saves you the cost of tyres.... I'd jump at it...

Only downside.... I'd still prefer 225 tyres...

Only downside.... I'd still prefer 225 tyres...

What do you prefer about 225 Jack? 235 has more tread on the road = better grip? It's actually a more common size too so cheaper...?

What do you prefer about 225 Jack? 235 has more tread on the road = better grip? It's actually a more common size too so cheaper...?

Aparently the 235's rub under load Muzza... Thats why i'd prefer the 225's... Had 225's on my 19's 8.5J with a slight stretch amd just the fact that 225's are the recommended tyre size for the car aswell... But if they dont rub under load then I dont see much of an issue otherwise

Interesting. I definitely don't want the rubbing. Thats the only thing i have been worried about. Most people have said 225 and you get no rubbing under load. Let me have a think about it muzza and see what others have felt in their experience.

Interesting thread. Do the 8.5j's fit the fronts of a 2.0tdi then?

So the 8.5j et53 wheels didnt fit. They caught on the front struts and when i put them on the rears they caught on the inside well. Guess im going to have to run some spacers to make this work.

Any ideas what size spacers i should go for?

Well I run the 8J ET50 on mine so I would reckon your looking at 3mm + 1/2"

Post up in the RS3 forum mate, there's people on there that would bite your hand off for those 8.5J RS3 wheels in exchange for two of the "normal" ones.

Well I run the 8J ET50 on mine so I would reckon your looking at 3mm + 1/2"

Post up in the RS3 forum mate, there's people on there that would bite your hand off for those 8.5J RS3 wheels in exchange for two of the "normal" ones.

Muzz. What do you mean by 3mm plus 1/2? Sorry to sound a little dumb.

Yup i have posted in the rs3 forum for a swap. Apparently the 8.0 and 8.5 wheels cost the same?!

So your wheels are ET53 which are 3mm further inwards than mine.

Yours are a half inch wider than mine so I figure you need a spacer which are 3mm + whatever 1/2" is in mm to clear?

I think they're a desirable option for RS3 owners so you shouldnt have issues swapping them.

So your wheels are ET53 which are 3mm further inwards than mine.

Yours are a half inch wider than mine so I figure you need a spacer which are 3mm + whatever 1/2" is in mm to clear?

I think they're a desirable option for RS3 owners so you shouldnt have issues swapping them.

Well explained. Totally understand. Looking at a 15mm spacer judging by the above info - seems a bit much....