Belt Squeak / engine noise

w_vernon

Reaction score
Hi

My 2005 A3 TDI has started to develop a squeaking / chirping noise which appears to be originating from the belt on the drivers side of the engine.

At first I thought it was simply the belt slipping but it seems tight and there is very little play. Having looked under the bonnet when the engine is running I can see something (sorry I don't know what it is!) jumping about near the belt. The engine also seems to be struggling more than it used to.

I saw something on the internet saying to pour water on the belt to help diagnose and when I do this the noise stops for a short time, the engine seems to lower its revs and quietens, and the part which was jumping about seems to calm down. After a short time the issue returns, probably as the water dries up.

I have taken the following video which shows the issue

Can anyone help diagnose the issue and give me an idea of how to fix it?

Apologies for the vagueness. I am happy to give anything a go but please assume I know nothing about my car or the parts under the bonnet!

Info which may help

2005 2.0 TDI a3 DSG 8p model
The noise is intermittent (although becoming more often) and can be started and temporarily stopped by switching the econ button off. However the noise can also start even with the econ button on (a/c off).

Thanks for any help

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the alternator pulley, give it a squirt of wd40 if required. The one way pulley on the alternator can get noisy when they get dust in them + extra load from using the AC can make the issue more prominent.

Reactions: NHN
Check the alternator pulley, give it a squirt of wd40 if required. The one way pulley on the alternator can get noisy when they get dust in them + extra load from using the AC can make the issue more prominent.

Thanks

Where do I need to squirt the wd40? Down the side of the pulley (between it and the alternator) or where the bolt secures it? I have some copper lubricant spray. Would that be better?

Also just changing the belt gets rid of the noise, for sake of £12 or whatever it is now, I would swap this out as friend had same issue, swapped belt for him & problem gone.

Also just changing the belt gets rid of the noise, for sake of £12 or whatever it is now, I would swap this out as friend had same issue, swapped belt for him & problem gone.

Still noisy after WD40 and copper grease. Are there any good guides available online for changing the belt?

The wd40 is a momentary fix, just to prove if its the belt or not, its not permanent & will only last for seconds maybe some minutes.

The belts easy enough, just get a spanner end on the belt tensioner that has a metal part that sticks up specifically for this job, push the tensioner in the direction that allows the belt to become loose & pull old one of, noting how it fits around the pulleys & stick new one on, 2nd person to hold tensioner is of course.

Make sure its 100% in the teeth of the pulleys, be anal about that as an incorrectly fitted belt may cause you bigger issues, takes minutes tbh, just make sure its flush & not overlapping one side.

If there is no second person to hold the tensioner as NHN says, then if you release the tension far enough, there are 2 holes in the tensioner that will line up and allow a drill bit to be placed in, holding the tensioner out of the way.

Reactions: NHN
could be clutch in alternator pulley as well causing tension on the belt and slowing it down. to find out pop the black cap off the front of the pulley squirt some wd40 in there then replace cap . see if it cures it for a few days .

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread to find the solution! I have a very similar squeal. Only seems to happen when hot or when pulling away around 1100 rpm. Changed alternator puller, tensioner and belt but still squeals. When hot does this at idle, worse when econ is on. Anyone had any problems with A/C clutch? or could it be a timing belt tensioner/pulley??