Chris NottAH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kjaer85

Thread: Phone charging solution ?

Neutral

Status

Question Phone charging solution ?

At the moment, to charge my iPhone, which is mounted on a Brodit dashboard clip, I have to trail a USB cable from the cigarette lighter in the centre tunnel across the car to the dashboard.

Does anyone know of a simple mod to get a charging cable running from somewhere under the dash then I can get a black cable and tuck it neatly behind the dashboard joins.
    Audi A3 8PA 2005 SE 2.0 FSi Tiptronic SatNav, Rain & Lights pack, Interior lighting pack, Xenons, Leather, MFSW, Bluetooth

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    I have the same setup but have hidden the USB wires...

Get a longer USB cable in black, preferably 2m.
    Start by lifting the gear gaiter surround out the way, to do this open the ashtray and then lift the front of the surround up which will pop up. Then unscrew the ashtray out and lift that up.
    Next pull the climate control unit out by pulling it forward and now you will have loads of access and space to run your wire behind the dash to the holder.

Do you have the holder that sits on the passenger side or by the steering wheel?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Neutral

Status
    You can do this?

image.jpg
    Garfybeds likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the input so far folks. However, I am trying to find out if there is a way of getting power (via a USB cable probably) to the phone without trailing a cable all the way to the cigarette lighter in the centre console. Has anyone come up with a solution under the dashboard ?
    Audi A3 8PA 2005 SE 2.0 FSi Tiptronic SatNav, Rain & Lights pack, Interior lighting pack, Xenons, Leather, MFSW, Bluetooth

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

you could just get another fused cig charger installed behind the dash and connect a usb charger to that? of have a stereo that has usb connector out the back of it.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    you could just get another fused cig charger installed behind the dash and connect a usb charger to that? of have a stereo that has usb connector out the back of it.
    This is what I'm thinking of - but wondering if anyone has done it and documented it, so I know where to piggy back the power off, which cables etc.

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

thats easy, there is a connection in the dash fuse box for a second cig lighter that isn't used in all A3s... you could just put a repair wire into that for power, a grounding point from the bottom of the A pillar and follow the recommended fuse amp on the cover.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    thats easy, there is a connection in the dash fuse box for a second cig lighter that isn't used in all A3s... you could just put a repair wire into that for power, a grounding point from the bottom of the A pillar and follow the recommended fuse amp on the cover.
    Now that's what I'm looking for. However, being a non-tecchie ! how do I find out which connection is for the second cig lighter (do you know if it is ignition switched ?). I have ordered a long black Lightning cable for my iPhone 5, so could feasibly snip the USB and hard wire it in - but perhaps more feasible would be to fit a cig socket into the glove compartment and then run a USB into there

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

the locations are written on the fuse cover, its the one on the drivers side once you open the driver door.

this is a TT but same place:

A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

Neutral

Status
    That's brilliant, thanks. I shall look into this. I have just discovered this document which provides an alternative approach.

http://www.audi-forums.com/attachmen...ox-fitting.pdf