EGR blank - with hole or without

Djwoody

Reaction score
About to purchase an EGR blank, should I go for the one with the hole or without?

Is there much difference apart from the EML coming on?

Chris

So am i right in thinking that you fit a blanking plate with a hole in it ? How big is the hole ? I have got a solid blank plate in mine so just have to live with the light on

I tried the blanking plate with out the hole and my light came on,my mgp went down and i was down in power slightly so i when i got a stage 1 remap i asked them to turn off the egr to which they told me that it cant be turned off just turned down,so i have got one with a hole and the light is off and back to normal.
I know people is going to say that it can be turned off but i am just going by revo tunning told me.

Funny you should mention it my MPG is not the best and i hadn`t even thought about the blanking plate . After having some turbo issues i just stuck the plate in , maybe i should take it out again

It cost me £3 from vw garage and it seems not to be stuttering,when i put the blanking plate in, i gave the egr a good clean in my parts washer put it all back together and the light would not go out after reseting it,i must of got cleaner in the vacume side and didnt like it so £40 later all works fine and no light

I've fitted one without a hole and the car is running loads better. Tempted to drill a hole in it to prevent the EML coming on.
Would the car still run smoother if the plate had a hole in it? Or is it best to keep it blanked completely.

You'd likely still get the EML light on with a hole in it, the ECU 'knows' what 'should' be passing through the EGR and if the figure (requested and actual) are however much different it'll throw the light

Get the EGR blanked, remove the cooler & all pipe work and get it remapped out properly - your engine will thank you for it :)

I blanked it and put a blank in the vacuum pipe going to the EGR, no light and runs perfect. =D

I blanked it and put a blank in the vacuum pipe going to the EGR, no light and runs perfect. =D

What year is your car?
With mine been a 2008 it has the electronic module and not a vacuum. Think the only way round it is to get it mapped out.
Can't believe how much different the car feels though, very smooth, like brand new.
It's amazing how much crud you find in the EGR, Inlet (and probably turbo) - not good for the engine.
When I get a bit of spare time I'm going to get it all cleaned out and put the blank back on the EGR.

Mines old 2000 so it's vaccum. EGR just covers everything in carbon.

Old thread I know...

Any1 done this lately ???

Was looking to get 1 with hole mines a 2012 b8.5 2.0 tdi 143bhp just to stop inlet clogging etc