Access to the turbo

slizza786

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi

I want to access the turbo vanes without having to take the turbo off. I know it's possible but I just want to know what's the recommended parts of the engine to take off in order to get better access to the turbo on a Bkd engine (a3 2004 TDI). What I know I will do so far is d/c and remove the metal pipe between the egr valve and the manifold.

Iv attached a picture of what my engine looks like. Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392222886251.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392222886251.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,188
It's going to be very difficult from above to be honest, if at all possible. I did mine from below, which was much easier.

If you must do it from above, you will be removing number 2 from your picture, specifically all the pipe work to the rear of it. Then the EGR cooler, which is bolted to the back of the cylinder head, and working in the gap between the back of the engine and the bulkhead.

To do it from below, have a look at this guide to see for access

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...turbo-clean-sticky-vane-causes-overboost.html

I know it's a guide for removing the turbo, but it shows how to get to it basically. Keep in mind that doing it from below, the EGR pipe from exhaust manifold to cooler is above the cat, so I found it easiest to undo the cat from the turbo for better access.

Last edited:
Also, when you are inserting the silicon hose into the turbo to get the mr muscle in, it can go two ways, one is helpful and into the exhaust side of the turbo, and the other is into the aluminium cylinder head, which is bad! Make sure it goes the correct way.

Thanks Smithy! Maybe accessing it from below may be the better option but I don't have any jacks to lift the car up which is the problem I have. Also with the Mr muscle do I have to remove the actual white tip and then stick the silicone hose onto it or put the hose directly onto the the white tip?

The can has a spray nozzle on it, I removed this and exposed the white plastic tip.

What I found best was a piece of silicon pipe, pinched it together and put a self tapper screw through it, making the opening almost air tight when the tip of the mr muscle was inserted, which meant the propellent send it down the hose instead of out the sides and all over your hands (it burns btw).

If I were to take the inlet/exhaust manifold pipe off can this also be cleaned with Mr muscle?

Inlet manifold is aluminium, so I would say not to be honest, although I do know of people who have done it without issue. I'd use paraffin or petrol. The exhaust manifold has the turbo integral with it, so if you were to remove it then you may as well strip the turbo down and clean it.

I don't want to risk stripping the turbo tbh. Infact I found this great tutorial: Www.Tdisport.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=9505

I'm pretty sure this gives me access to the turbo from the top???

And I may just have a go at cleaning the egr valve while Mr muscle is doing its job

Yeah, the second half of that guide details how to remove the EGR cooler and intake piping, which will allow you to see the exhaust manifold/turbo from above the engine.

If you take your time and remember where everything goes, you should be fine! Just keep in mind the way that silicon hose goes, it should be quite obvious if its going the wrong way, as it will be bending back towards the engine, which is no good.

Yh I might aswell try this way and kill two birds with one stone. With this picture kindly taken from another tutorial I need to try to make the silicone hose follow the same way as the yellow line.

To clean the egr valve will Mr muscle do or is that made of aluminium to?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392290168027.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392290168027.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 908
Be interested to hear how you got on, I've done this via the EGR hole on a 1.9Tdi Passat, but need to do it in my own 2.0Tdi A3, AFAIK the screen shot above is the 1.9 engine?

Cheers,

David

I think you are right David, the 2.0 exhaust connects to the turbo slightly differently, it has a V band clamp as opposed to the above which is 3 bolts.

The principal is the same though, and the turbo appears to look almost identical and located in the same place.

Smithy do you or anyone have a tutorial accessing the turbo from the bottom with pictures of a video?

I cleaned the egr valve and vds toady. Read was so excited k6a

There's only a guide for removing the turbo, not for cleaning in place. So the pictures don't appear to be much help.

If you get under the car, the turbo is between the rear of the engine and the bulkhead. Access is easier if you can remove the cat, or at least undo it and move it to one side. You should quite easily be able to see the EGR outlet on the exhaust manifold.

I got underneath the car today and located the pipe that I need to take off, it was like a gold colour pipe and skyped my mate to confirm it was that one. Managed to find the actuator rod with my fingers as I couldn't actually see it but it was very stiff and could hardly move it down. I'm going to attempt the process tomorrow just one question, when I take the pipe off the turbo, would it actually move out of the way? Because the other end of the Pipe is bolted to the egr cooler I believe wouldn't the pipe just stay their and it being aluminium I'm worried the muscle will touch it

You're correct, pipe needs to be unbolted at both ends and removed unfortunately!

You can see why this is a pain trying to do it from above!

Ahhhh but how on earth will I access the other end of the Pipe? =S. Have a look at this guide I found. An I correct in saying the guy took the cat off rather than the pipe and sprayed the foam in there?

Another note, it helps if you have a hand pump vac, as you can connect this to the actuator and move it using that, which is gentler on the fingers and you can do it from being stood at the side of the car, whilst having a brew!

Haha good tip!! Will search for one. What do you think of that link? Is he doing it from penning the cat?

Yeah, that's what he has done in that guide, and it's also how I did mine.

The only problem with that way is getting the mr muscle through the compressor wheel, if you do it from EGR hole then the silicone hose is going to the other side of those fins, which is where the vanes are I believe.

Once done, you need to drive it up to temperature and give it some stick, not necessarily slamming your foot down on the go pedal, but but by driving at higher than normal revs, to get the temperature up to burn off the rest of the loosened rubbish.

I actually drove it onto a dual carriageway and left it in 3rd for a while, at about 3500 rpm, then accelerating to 4500rpm before changing gear, and it left a cloud of black smoke behind once or twice, and then it wouldn't do it again so I assumed it had cleared out!

Ahhhh. Yh I'm planning to put it in second gear and drive it in high revs for like 15-20mins then jump on a motorway for a good 20mins.

I'm now confused on which route to take more. If i do it your way and open the cat, arnt the valves right there for me to just spray up with Mr muscle OR what if I open up the the pipe and then cover then end of the Pipe I opened with a carrier bag so the Mr muscle stops contact with the aluminium pipe

The EGR pipe won't budge until both ends are undone, it's quite a tight/precise fit. The fins you can see are the compressor wheel, which is the bit that is spun by the exhaust gas. The vanes behind them are the bits that move to control flow/boost, and the bits that get stuck.

I wouldn't have thought it'd need more than a couple mins at high revs. I'd drive a few miles until coolant is up to temp, and then wait another few for oil to catch it up, then drive at 3500rpm for about 30secs/1min (you'll realise how long this actually is when you are driving along with the engine screaming lol). Keep an ear on the engine for untoward noises etc, but it should be fine, and then give it a good drive, with some hard acceleration etc.

Thanks Smithy. I don't think I will be taking the other end of the Pipe off I don't want to go through the top of the engine when doing my egr yesterday it was extremely exhausting. I may try the cat way now.

Can I ask with the cat way am i able to get the silicone hose in between one of the fins to the vanes and then pump the Mr muscle?

Sorry if I reply late just heading of to work now

Don't worry mate.

Mr Muscle foams up really well, so I had gloves on and filled the turbo with it and spun the fins with my finger gently to help distribute it.

The EGR pipe is taken off from below, but it's quite a way up the engine and I struggled reaching it from below whilst the car was on stands, so ended up using a couple of extension bars.

Where in the UK are you btw?

I'm from London mate how about you? Today is moment of truth yesterday I couldn't attempt it at around 5pm as it was to late so I'm going to try it now. Any special tool kit to remove the cat off?

Ah, I'm in Manchester, so not much help there lol.

The cat is held to the turbo with a V band clamp, (google for a picture of one). And there is a gasket between cat and turbo, so don't lose this.

The clamp is undone with a 5 or 6mm allen key iirc, and once it is undone all the way, it will be stiff so will need opening up. I used a screwdriver and small hammer to knock it open.

Haha =/.. Great the cat way seems preferred. So the process is open the cat, try to stick the tube between one of the fins and spray the muscle until foam comes out the cat way OR open the cat, spins the fins for a bit using my fingers and then spray the foam without putting it in between one of the fins?

Sounds about right.

I used a pringles lid to hold the mr muscle in the turbo for a bit, its a perfect fit on the outlet of the turbo. So have something similar to hand to block the turbo, as the mr muscle foams up and end up dripping out lol.

I am under the car right now and have taken the camp of using the allen key but do i have to completely remove clamp off the catalyst or can i take the catalyst and the clamp off together

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392728001994.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392728001994.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 811
Clamp has.to.come off completely. You'll see why when you've done it, it won't come away with clamp still on

Once I take the clamp off completely how do I use a screwdriver and hammer to lodge the cat out. Is there like a socket I can stick the screwdriver in?

The screwdriver and hammer help you get the clamp off, the actual cat will pull away from the turbo no problem