Gutted! Problem after Problem :(

JJ.Foulds

Reaction score
So recently i posted about my oil pressure warning. Turns out like everyone said, the pick up pipe was completely blocked and had it replaced with a full oil and filter change.

Check this, it was worse when originally removed.

So i was driving and giving it a bit of a thrash, then again the warning light came on, i turned my engine off and back on, but it came on right away again. I made the decision to leave my car 15 miles away at around 1am and not risk it!!!

So the police show up and speak to my dad saying they think someone will try break into my car. so i get 3 buses to go drive it somewhere safe.

I check the oil level and check for obvious leaks, everything is fine, and i open the cap and this sandwich sauce looked directly at me, and suddenly i know i have a further problem.
So i guess this is a headgasket problem, but looks like i cant afford the repair and it will be off the road for a while, hindering my modding :(

How long since you had the pickup and oil changed? Any signs of mayo at the oil change?

How long since you had the pickup and oil changed? Any signs of mayo at the oil change?

Pickup was done around 2 weeks before, and mechanic never mentioned it with the oil change. and i would of thought it would of been obvious.

well thats one thing he couldnt miss

Depends on how much you use the car and how long for for the mayo. Is there any on the dipstick

Depends on how much you use the car and how long for for the mayo. Is there any on the dipstick

well 2 weeks since oil change and pick up replacement, none on dipstick at all.

Normally use maybe £40-50 of fuel since.

What could the problem be?

Is the pick up pipe hard or expensive to have changed?

well 2 weeks since oil change and pick up replacement, none on dipstick at all.

Normally use maybe £40-50 of fuel since.

What could the problem be?

It could be if your using the car for little short trips as your not giving the engine time to warm up properly

3 hours labour, oil change and filter, and part. £150 ish.

It could be if your using the car for little short trips as your not giving the engine time to warm up properly

Generally it always warms up to temperature when i use it, and my driving style hasnt changed from before oil change. :/

3 hours labour, oil change and filter, and part. £150 ish.

Generally it always warms up to temperature when i use it, and my driving style hasnt changed from before oil change. :/

Have you lost any coolant. Have you had any tests done on your coolant

Have you lost any coolant. Have you had any tests done on your coolant

It didnt look like it was down significantly. but iv only just moved the car and i wouldn't know what tests i could run?

is that to check if its been in contact with oil?

To see if your head gasket has gone so yer the same thing or do a pressure test on the cylinders but I would say if the dipstick is clear do a oil change

To see if your head gasket has gone so yer the same thing or do a pressure test on the cylinders but I would say if the dipstick is clear do a oil change

dipstick was completly clear, its only just been thru a service and a 2nd oil change lol dont really want to do it again if the same thing will just happen?

im guessing this isnt a possible fault on the mechanic? not trying to point the blame, would just like to know the possibilies before i ask him to look at it. thx.

Cant imagine it will be anything to do with what the tech has done. Changing them pick-ups is quite easy and you don't need to disturb any water pipes to do it. Have you driven the car since them photos?

Cant imagine it will be anything to do with what the tech has done. Changing them pick-ups is quite easy and you don't need to disturb any water pipes to do it. Have you driven the car since them photos?

I drove it about 1.5 miles. very softly. and the oil pressure warning lights came on twice. i turned engine off and on again everytime it showed.

ALSO i was just read the 'Headgasket problem thread from like 3 days ago. and people are saying a little bit of mayo is normal. But as iv just had an oil change 2 weeks ago, im guessing mine deffo has a serious problem.

I have no money soooo, could a non mechanic fix this? lol

My cars been on longlife servicing and now has 57k on.
I removed the sump the other day and replaced the pickup but mine was clean as a whistle.
I changed it anyway.
Pretty easy DIY job as I done mine on axle stands and it took about 2.5 hours including oil and filter change.

A blocked pick up pipe would cause the mayo though would it?

I think you should pressure test your engine, you can buy a gauge for around 15 squid.
Then if all ok, take your oil cooler off and pressure test that by submerging in a bucket of water, block one of the pipes and force air into the other one and check for bubbles.

If both test pass then you need to take it to a garage.

A blocked pick up pipe would cause the mayo though would it?

I think you should pressure test your engine, you can buy a gauge for around 15 squid.
Then if all ok, take your oil cooler off and pressure test that by submerging in a bucket of water, block one of the pipes and force air into the other one and check for bubbles.

If both test pass then you need to take it to a garage.

would you be happy to find me a link to this £15 test, as i dont really know what im on about lol.

Reactions: TonyH38
Just have to remove spark plugs and fuel pump fuse and screw the gauge into each cylinder and crank the engine 4-6times. Then note the pressure reading. Repeat on all cylinders.

To ascertain the correct pressure times your compression ratio by atmospheric pressure.

Just have to remove spark plugs and fuel pump fuse and screw the gauge into each cylinder and crank the engine 4-6times. Then note the pressure reading. Repeat on all cylinders.

To ascertain the correct pressure times your compression ratio by atmospheric pressure.

Also, would i need a specific tool to remove spark plugs?

Yes crank engine with keys - you can buy spark plug tools, or if you have a socket set (or know someone with one!) you can use the tool from that with an extension bar. Proceed with caution so you don't break anything, but it's not difficult.

Just dont overtighten the threads as the head is alloy. Then you will have a big bill.

Replacing used plugs after taking them out; Id say finger tight + just over 1/2 a turn of a wrench....

If its a head gasket issue, mayo is caused by water & oil contamination. You could have perfect cylinder pressures and still have a faulty head gasket.

When you run a compression test you should test with the throttle open too.

Reactions: jbh
Might be better off paying for an independent inspection from aftermarket service agent as if you mis-diagnose after buying all the kit you may be further behind than you were to start with.

Reactions: autolatry, Tom5190 and Artimus
Warren S3 is right you know JJ, if you aren't confident and don't even have a spark plug remover then take it to a garage. Fact is its going to cost, either way it will cost its just if you did some investigation you can go to the garage with some information. However a decent mechanic would double check it all anyway so there probably isn't going to be a saving.

spoke to the mechanic today about booking it in the garage, he thinks it isnt the head gasket which is good for me as im poor.
He said he will check the oil pressure, and has told me to check the water tank for any oil or anomalies in it and if not he doubts its part of headgasket.

Soo its going in thursday ish time, so can update then :)

ok so oil pressure is fine after the check, but the guy said theres an obvious rattling at the top end, the cam follower has been changed already. And would need a full engine strip down to see whats wrong.

I do not have the money for a full strip down sooooo im a bit gutted yet again.

Any half common problems that might happen at top of the engine?

Thanks.

What about the cam chain?
They usually rattle and are situated right beside the fuel pump?
Just a thought

What about the cam chain?
They usually rattle and are situated right beside the fuel pump?
Just a thought

o yeh, he mentioned that aswell. Is that a hard job in hours? and take into account and the car has done 120k miles.

But the problem is, could the cam chain trigger the oil pressure light somehow?

I'd of said the cam chain rattle is more likely a result of low oil pressure and not cause it.
Time wise I'd of said around 3-4 hours.