Recon Garrett Turbo

I also need to but a new turbo for my wife's a3 2.0tdi 2005 and have been trying to find answers to the same sort of questions... I don't think there is difference between the two apart from the price obviously and perhaps the 'questionable' quality of re manufacturing work..? From what I've read, Garrett won't supply spare parts but most importantly the calibration that's needed after reassembly of these variable turbos requires extremely sensitive (read expensive) equipment which only the manufacturers can afford... This is what people say, but obviously being in the same situation as you.. I also ask myself whether paying £800+ for a brand new turbo (as contrary to £300+ for remanufactured) is really worth the price... If Anyone with some real world experience could elaborate more would be great!

Can anyone tell me the difference between buying this turbo for £250.... Audi Seat Skoda Volkswagen 2.0TDI 136HP 100KW GT1749V 724930 Turbocharger | eBay

And the one for Euro Car Parts for £500+

Help with Audi A3 2.0 TDI - Turbo - PistonHeads
Turbo problems - PistonHeads

Above are my experiences with that exact turbo. Sent it back for a full refund (and got it) in the end, as it failed 100 miles after fitting. If you read the threads above you will see that it was fitted properly by a decent garage who I trust.

I once read somewhere that Garrett do not sell service kits or spares for their turbos, so they cannot be "officially" reconditioned. So any recon garrett turbo is actually more of a chinese copy, as all the internals are aftermarket copies, the only thing left that may have been in a garrett factory is the steel casting.

The only thing i can do is prey to god then. Hopefully the Euro Car Parts one being a little bit more expensive then a cheap ebay one will be better.

Their customer service were great to be honest, didn't quibble one bit about the refund.

I would suggest ensuring all intake pipework is removed and thoroughly cleaned, including intercooler, to make sure you have least chance of problems.

Also, new oil feed pipe is a must for any warranty.

dont touch a recon tdi garret turbo ! have a read of this Insist On Genuine Garrett VNT Turbochargers it explains all the problems with buying a recon unit mainly they never work properly as they are so hard to set up the vnt system and theirs no genuine parts available for them

Just to say guys that when my turbo finally died last weekend, I phoned up the Turbo Dynamics with intention to order a brand new Garrett unit as I didn;t want to take my chances with a recon unit. I was told by the guy on the phone that they can offer me an OEM turbo that was remanufactured by Garrett themselves (on part exchange bases) and is basically as good as new. I went for this option, but I was suprised that Garrett also does remanufacturing as I haven't heard of this anywhere before! Anyways, the turbo arrived the next day in the "Garrett remanufactured" branded box with all the gaskets etc. and looked pretty much brand new... It's still too early to comment on reliability etc as I only had the turbo fitted yestarday but the car definitely feels much better now.

Just to say guys that when my turbo finally died last weekend, I phoned up the Turbo Dynamics with intention to order a brand new Garrett unit as I didn;t want to take my chances with a recon unit. I was told by the guy on the phone that they can offer me an OEM turbo that was remanufactured by Garrett themselves (on part exchange bases) and is basically as good as new. I went for this option, but I was suprised that Garrett also does remanufacturing as I haven't heard of this anywhere before! Anyways, the turbo arrived the next day in the "Garrett remanufactured" branded box with all the gaskets etc. and looked pretty much brand new... It's still too early to comment on reliability etc as I only had the turbo fitted yestarday but the car definitely feels much better now.

How is your turbo performing since you had it installed mate?

I'm looking at possibly getting a remanufactured one also.

Where did you buy yours from? Your garage?