Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3

    2.0 TDI fuel consumption

    I recently traded my '05 2.0 TDI (140) SE manual for a '08 2.0 TDI (140) S Line s-tronic. The car was serviced and had the belt changed before I picked it up. I'm doing the same daily drive (in the same style) I was doing before but I'm finding the fuel consumption to be brutal. According to the DIS I've averaged mid-40s MPG on each journey since I last filled up yet with the needle on just over half I've only done 200 miles. In my old A3 I'd have done 200 miles on a quarter of a tank.


    The car is due a gearbox service but I can't think of anything that could be causing such poor fuel consumption. As far as I know it's not modded.


    Just wondered whether other owners of similar cars are getting similar figures? My daily commute is a mix of town traffic and a 8-10 mile dual carriage way stretch.


    Also, is there a way to stop the DIS resetting the average fuel consumption back to zero randomly? The car's manual doesn't cover the DIS.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    21
    800 miles to a tank?

    Maybe you're just taking less class A's now?

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3
    Class A's?!?! Not likely with the amount of money I'm spending on diesel these days. As per most cars, the gauge takes a while to move and then moves quicker. I'd do 200 miles to a quarter then be on around 425-450 when I had a quarter left.

  5. #4
    c_w
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by a3Tex View Post
    800 miles to a tank?


    Maybe you're just taking less class A's now?
    Where does he say he gets 800miles to a tank? My fuel usage usually shows 200miles when it hits 3/4. Not that it gets 800miles as the gauge isn't linear.

    It is plausible that the timing isn't quite right since the cambelt was recently changed.

    But, as it's a new car to you, you're better brimming the tank, driving for 200miles or so, then refill it to check how much you've actually used, than use the OBC, just in case the gauge isn't calibrated the same.

  6. #5
    Mr_Sixx's Avatar
    Stationary

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In the sticks of Derbys & Notts
    Posts
    169
    I bought my A3 170 TDi S Line (Sportsback) about three weeks ago, Im getting between 50 to 65mpg (or ~220 miles on £30 of diesel) but I couldn't say how much on a tank of fuel, not brimmed it yet!
    2012 A3 Tdi 170 S Line Black Edition


  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    HORWICH,BOLTON
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e View Post
    I recently traded my '05 2.0 TDI (140) SE manual for a '08 2.0 TDI (140) S Line s-tronic. The car was serviced and had the belt changed before I picked it up. I'm doing the same daily drive (in the same style) I was doing before but I'm finding the fuel consumption to be brutal. According to the DIS I've averaged mid-40s MPG on each journey since I last filled up yet with the needle on just over half I've only done 200 miles. In my old A3 I'd have done 200 miles on a quarter of a tank.


    The car is due a gearbox service but I can't think of anything that could be causing such poor fuel consumption. As far as I know it's not modded.


    Just wondered whether other owners of similar cars are getting similar figures? My daily commute is a mix of town traffic and a 8-10 mile dual carriage way stretch.


    Also, is there a way to stop the DIS resetting the average fuel consumption back to zero randomly? The car's manual doesn't cover the DIS.
    Does your DIS not have two readings?One for present journey and one for overall.

  8. #7
    c_w
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,061
    Should be on Computer 2 for long term readings. Computer 1 is single journey figures (cycle through the Comp1,2, Speed, Menu etc using the button under the right stalk).

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sixx View Post
    I bought my A3 170 TDi S Line (Sportsback) about three weeks ago, Im getting between 50 to 65mpg (or ~220 miles on £30 of diesel) but I couldn't say how much on a tank of fuel, not brimmed it yet!


    I can't be anywhere near 65mpg, the 170 generally won't do that as realistically your average is about 47mpg based on £30 over 220miles, assuming diesel is £1,40/litre.

  9. #8
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    HORWICH,BOLTON
    Posts
    35
    Thirty pounds of fuel would roughly be 4.9 gallons this would be 45 mpg approx!

  10. #9
    Mr_Sixx's Avatar
    Stationary

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In the sticks of Derbys & Notts
    Posts
    169
    Ahh I'll set it to computer 2 & see what it tells me!

    On payday I'll brim the tank and see what it does properly & report back..Im paying £1.34 per litre
    2012 A3 Tdi 170 S Line Black Edition


  11. #10
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    HORWICH,BOLTON
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sixx View Post
    Ahh I'll set it to computer 2 & see what it tells me!

    On payday I'll brim the tank and see what it does properly & report back..Im paying £1.34 per litre
    My sportback shows 55mpg on computer 2 but i only achieve 45mpg thats brim to brim on the tank.

  12. #11
    dannyh1991uk's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    171
    I have 2.0 tdi 140 manual and half a tank is about 250ish miles... Mixed motorway and town driving... Bit of heavy foot for a bit of fun
    Using Tapatalk

  13. #12
    Phil-1's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Harrogate
    Posts
    1,093
    In my 2.0l TDI I'm getting 30 mpg around town and on a run it' about 45 mpg from memory.
    Audi A3 8P Sport Back 170BHP (And I Love it)

    web page: philseagust.co.uk
    E-Mail:info@philseagust.co.uk

  14. #13
    J8TT X's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    338
    £40 gets me 200 miles. Mostly town driving.
    2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG S-line (8p1)
    Mods: 18" Gloss Black RS4's - 8p2 S-line Front Bumper - Black Grill - A5 LED Number Plate lights - LED Sidelights - Euro Style Plates - EGR Delete - RTech Custom Remap - Hot Start Issue Fix
    Pipeline: Lowering, Wheel Refurb, Coming Home Lights

    2007 VW Golf 2.0 GT TDI 140 (Wife's)
    Mods: 18" Charlestons

  15. #14
    A3Kent's Avatar
    Different Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,065
    A full tank (£75) gets me 500 miles maybe 510. Always has done since I got it. I don't do that many motorway journeys either.

    09 170 TDI.
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

    VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

  16. #15
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    980
    140 Tdi Dsg, averages 45 every brim to brim, never been near a motorway, mostly town and back lanes over t' moors.

    Doesn't often get into 6th gear!

  17. #16
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e View Post
    Class A's?!?! Not likely with the amount of money I'm spending on diesel these days. As per most cars, the gauge takes a while to move and then moves quicker. I'd do 200 miles to a quarter then be on around 425-450 when I had a quarter left.
    Haha yeah I knew what you meant. Presuming you didn't have the DIS in the old car?

    Something is obviously up, I have the 2.0L 170 and even if I drive it like a chav (which, for my shame, I almost always do) I still easily get 50+ MPG.

    One thing I would suggest is that the is the fuel pump might be stopping early, it might be looking "full" on the fuel gauge but not actually full full. I had this in a car of mine, I ran it to virtually empty (the 'oh **** oh **** where is a petrol station phase'), filled it up and it clicked at 40 litres which I thought was weird in a 45L tank. Pressed it again and it carried on up to 44.1. Do the fill to the brim, drive 200 miles and refuel strategy mentioned above.

  18. #17
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    980
    You aren't supposed to put more fuel in after the pump clicks off. From the handbook:-

    "Do not try to put in more fuel after the nozzle cuts out, as this will fill the expansion chamber in the fuel tank."

  19. #18
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by fangio View Post
    You aren't supposed to put more fuel in after the pump clicks off. From the handbook:-

    "Do not try to put in more fuel after the nozzle cuts out, as this will fill the expansion chamber in the fuel tank."
    Obviously but if the fuel pump is cutting off early...

  20. #19
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll brim the tank tomorrow and see what the calculator says.

  21. #20
    madmanrsvr's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    devon
    Posts
    81
    i have the 57 plate tdi 140 and and the best i can get is 42mpg if i drive like an old man and thats going by working it out from how much i put at the pumps as my computer allways says i am doing 48mpg,i have just had a stage 1 remap and still the same but a lot more fun,
    i have never got over 42 mpg and never 500 miles on a full tank

  22. #21
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by a3Tex View Post
    Obviously but if the fuel pump is cutting off early...

    How would you know?

  23. #22
    dannyh1991uk's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by madmanrsvr View Post
    i have the 57 plate tdi 140 and and the best i can get is 42mpg if i drive like an old man and thats going by working it out from how much i put at the pumps as my computer allways says i am doing 48mpg,i have just had a stage 1 remap and still the same but a lot more fun,
    i have never got over 42 mpg and never 500 miles on a full tank
    My overall computer is on 42mpg... But going to work and back is about 3miles stop/start in traffic... And often go on motorway to visit people...with a bit of a heavy foot
    I do use Shell V-Power though.
    Using Tapatalk

  24. #23
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    48
    i have an 04 2.0 tdi 140 and i'm averaging about 42-43mpg overall. with a stage one remap. I'm gonna try a full service and see if it makes any difference.

    I try to use super diesel and use the Fuel system cleaner stuff too.

  25. #24
    madmanrsvr's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    devon
    Posts
    81
    you will have to let us no if it makes a difference to your mpg as if that works i will book mine in as i have not had it very long,i bought it from a garage but i dont think they done a full service ie. fuel filter as i have been told this makes a difference.

    keep us informed

  26. #25
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by fangio View Post
    How would you know?
    I didn't for about 2 years. Wasn't until I drove until the fuel light had come on, filled up the tank and saw the amount I put it was less than the tank size - fuel left.

    I don't know why it was triggering the fuel pump to stop early, something must have been affecting the hole in the pump which cuts off the supply. It would sometimes do it even if the tank was only half full so it was obviously a design fault of some kind.

    If you are basing a calculation on how many miles you've done before you get to a quarter tank. The key relevant bit of information is ensuring that the fuel start point isn't different.

  27. #26
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by a3Tex View Post
    I didn't for about 2 years. Wasn't until I drove until the fuel light had come on, filled up the tank and saw the amount I put it was less than the tank size - fuel left.

    I don't know why it was triggering the fuel pump to stop early, something must have been affecting the hole in the pump which cuts off the supply. It would sometimes do it even if the tank was only half full so it was obviously a design fault of some kind.

    If you are basing a calculation on how many miles you've done before you get to a quarter tank. The key relevant bit of information is ensuring that the fuel start point isn't different.

    True, but if you use the same cut -off point every time, then you should get an accurate reading. Do you always use the same garage and pump? If not, get Audi to take a look down your filler pipe. I use several different garages with standard fuel and get consistent results. I fill to the first click then up to the next £.

    I never, ever use supermarket fuel; I used to deliver it!!!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 1.6 Tdi Fuel Consumption
    By Brian B in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 3rd July 2013, 14:50
  2. Audi A3 2.0 TDI Fuel Consumption
    By AudiMafia in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12th December 2012, 14:30
  3. Audi 80 TDi fuel consumption figures please...
    By Pete69zx in forum Classic Audi Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 7th January 2007, 03:30
  4. TDi 130 fuel consumption
    By ocalld in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 6th September 2006, 09:21
  5. Fuel consumption A4 TDi 110 bhp?
    By Nessy in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25th October 2005, 19:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO