New A3 video

Eeef

Lord of War
Reaction score
What are Audi on exactly? You're trying to sell a car so what's the one thing that people might want to look at? The car maybe?

Check this out for how not to make a promo video (although the personalisation thing is nifty)

It's better than the RS4 advert on tv which is a messy spiders-web and a car metamophosised from a spider /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

But they are doing the job and getting you to talk about the cars...

Yep I like the RS4 ad as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Can anyone explain it? The RS4 ad that is.
I know what it's about (a little spy on the inside) just want to see if it communicates properly, because i'm not sure it does.

I thought it was the RS4 having all the other cars for breakfast? i.e. parts of cars stuck in the web.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was the RS4 having all the other cars for breakfast? i.e. parts of cars stuck in the web.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too, but as said above I don't think it needs to make sense as long as it gets people talking about the brand, it's not as though they are expecting people to buy an RS4 because of a 30 sec tv advert!

Adverts don't have to make sense,they just have to be memorable.

Look at the '3' ads of the past year or so.Japanese cowboys dancing to a giant jellyfish makes no sense,but it's been a mega successful campaign.

For the record,I think the RS4 advert is suggesting that the car is a stealthy predator,waiting to pounce on anything that may come it's way.

(as a sidenote,my MD is trading in his few-weeks-old S4 for some TT sport or something ? No back seats in it or something like that ? He said the S4's appetite for fuel was horrific.Barely 230 miles to a tank)

[ QUOTE ]

Look at the '3' ads of the past year or so.Japanese cowboys dancing to a giant jellyfish makes no sense,but it's been a mega successful campaign.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best ads do both. I'm not a huge fan of the 3 ads, sure they tick the creative box, but they are throwing millions of pounds marketing themselves and not picking up that many customers in the process. Kids love them as bits of film, but don't come away with any clarity as to what the feck it was all about, then that becomes a problem.
It's people like Audi & Honda that generally get the balance right. Simple, well executed ideas with true meaning... genius! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The best ads do both. I'm not a huge fan of the 3 ads, sure they tick the creative box, but they are throwing millions of pounds marketing themselves and not picking up that many customers in the process. Kids love them as bits of film, but don't come away with any clarity as to what the feck it was all about, then that becomes a problem.
It's people like Audi & Honda that generally get the balance right. Simple, well executed ideas with true meaning... genius! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Honda's ads are the business.
The Matt Munro one is the best one I've seen in years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Didn't he have a rather good looking sister called Marylin.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sucessful?!?! Against what measurements?

Cost vs customer numbers would say the opposite. (I used to work at 3 and still know a lot of people there!)

[ QUOTE ]

Cost vs customer numbers would say the opposite. (I used to work at 3 and still know a lot of people there!)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what i've heard too. Nice films but rubbish as ads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But Ironically Honda are having BIG problems with their ads too.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what i've heard too. Nice films but rubbish as ads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But Ironically Honda are having BIG problems with their ads too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big problems with their ads ?
What on earth does that mean ?

Big problems as in they're considered to be amongst the best around and everyone talks about them ?

They're not selling enough cars Bowfer, and the dealers are blaming the ads for not showing enough car.

I agree the new one with the singing monkeys that make the noise of a car you can't see has really got me wanting to go to the Honda dealers to check it out!

[ QUOTE ]
They're not selling enough cars Bowfer, and the dealers are blaming the ads for not showing enough car.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the 'impossible dreams' advert isn't meant to be about cars only.

It covers all Honda's products,so may it's the dealers that are missing the point.

The other ad's (the Accord one from two years ago,using the parts, and the current one using the choir simulating the car's noises) purvey what they want to get across perfectly well,that the cars are quality and everything works a treat.

Certainly,if you treat our office of 30+ people as a microcosm of the UK population,they're some of the best remembered and enjoyed ads around.

Advertisers/marketing companies aren't daft.
They know that,basically,showing a car turns people off,hence the myriad of ads that only allude to the actual car (like the RS4 one).

[ QUOTE ]
That's just a re-hashed ad/personalisation viral ad from over a year ago.

And I think the RS4 ad is absolutely fantastic... very audi.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think the RS4 add is really cool

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's just a re-hashed ad/personalisation viral ad from over a year ago.

And I think the RS4 ad is absolutely fantastic... very audi.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think the RS4 add is really cool

[/ QUOTE ]

So the RS4 ad is cool,but the much more imaginative Honda one (with the choir) wouldn't have you rushing to the dealer ?

Neither show the car in any great detail,so why the difference ?

I must admit that I watch very little television and even less of ITV so I don't see many adverts. But when I do I often find my self asking - what on earth were the advertising ?

[ QUOTE ]
One is g4y and one is cool , guess which way round they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well one suggests that we should be scared of spiders,so that'll be the "g4y" one ??

[ QUOTE ]
They know that,basically,showing a car turns people off,hence the myriad of ads that only allude to the actual car (like the RS4 one).

[/ QUOTE ]

So the waterskiier ad for the A6, the Mercedes ad with the clouds, the Puma ad with Steve Mcqueen and the Volvo ad with the tornado all turned people off did they, beacuse they all showed the car all the way through, as did one of my all time favourites, the A4 launch ad (yuppie)

I'm not against the Honda ads, i think they're great and have benchmarked the way car ads are written.
A good ad is a good ad, car or no car.
But as i said previously, apparently the Honda dealers are struggling with sales and they think it's down to the marketing.

BTW, the spider in the RS4 ad is extracting Vorsprung Durch Technik from all the other cars.
If you look closely you'll realise they're all old audis, including an old UR-Quattro with it's engine out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif