Sounds like a Hoover

Alex_007

Reaction score
Hello

My 55 plate tdi 140 has started to make a Hoover type noise when at idle , if I rev it softly the noise changes with the revs and then disappears , or maybe the loudness of the engine hides it, prior to this I've been getting a woosh type sound when letting of the accelerator between changing gears .

I don't think this is the police siren noise that some turbos get , I had that on my golf but you had to rev the engine to hear it , this noise is mainly at Idle and sounds like my hoover at home.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

I've had that for at least a couple of years now. Stopped worrying about it.

I've had that for at least a couple of years now. Stopped worrying about it.

I'm thinking maybe a boost leak somewhere, have seen some story's of the egr being cleaned and sorting it but am hoping someone has had the same issue and fixed it

Mine does the same, I'm not worried as it's always done but it would be nice to know what it is.

Mine does the same, I'm not worried as it's always done but it would be nice to know what it is.

Well since it's been making the noise my car has gone in to limp mode a couple times but that's only if I'm really flooring it hard.

Well since it's been making the noise my car has gone in to limp mode a couple times but that's only if I'm really flooring it hard.

Mines never done that, might try cleaning the EGR valve this weekend, see if that helps