Serious moisture inside rear Sportback doors

tuff_runt

Reaction score
Hi all

I rarely have anyone in the rear seats of my car, so I've only just discovered this.

There appears to be a lot of moisture on the windows on the rear doors of my 2007 A3 Sportback once they've been lowered and raised (Picture 1). All that water smearing is on the inside, but only when the window has been lowered and raised.

Photo 1

I first noticed it when I saw this from the outside:
Photo 2

The drain holes are free from debris at the base of the doors (it's on both rear doors) so I'm at a loss.

Has anyone seen this before?

My sportback had the Same thing around the windows, but that was due to a water leak in the boot , get your hand under the rear seat and see if it's damp as the water was running in to the spare wheel bit and under the seat.

I have that on my rear passenger window too, haven't looked into it yet hope it's nothing too serious!

Do you hear any water sloshing around inside the doors when you swing them back & forth?

Hi
It looks like from the second picture it's coming from the window seals, if you remove the rear door cards you'll see on the inside at the top of the door a seal against the glass, this will lift up/off, now like in the corner of the glass closest to the b pillar, the seal on the outside door post that the window sits in can leak past causing water to trickle down the inside of the door, mine travelled down onto the speaker and through the foam gasket and behind the door card causing the rear windows to mist up first then causing a complete white out inside, this happened on both rear doors and required new window guide seals ( you may notice some green build up on these seals) good luck any further help just shout!
Gary

Hi mate did you resolve this issue!
I'm wanting to get mine sorted so I can go get my windows tinted! Lol D
on't wanna risk any moisture! Lol

Reactions: Omen
Hi all,

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have exactly the same problem.

When it rains I get water accumulate on the inside of the rear left passenger window next to the centre pillar & eventually this area had gone mouldy & green before cleaning it up.

As I want to tint my rear windows I took my car to Audi last week who checked the seals but could find no area where it was leaking. So they applied a silicone spray around the window seals & told me that should resolve the problem.

Picked up the car yesterday & last night had quite a bit of heavy rainy went outside to check after an hour & all was looking good.

This morning took another look & unfortunately it looks like I still have the issue.

To me it seems as though this is a slow water ingress issue.

I have taken a picture & whilst it looks no way near as badas the previous pictures originally posted up it's still an issue.

Going to contact Audi to explore the next option but hoping this isn't going to be too costly!

Will report back.

Tuff runt, how did you fix the problem?

Gary, going to relay what you have said to Audi.

D.

Now that the weather is improving mine has seemed to improved, still need to get the mould off the rubber though, Iv had my windows tinted now so will need to look a bit more when it rains etc..

Hi,

Since my last post I "tested" the window by simply winding it up and down a few times more to see if by doing so the window came up with water on it which it didn´t and to further lubricate the seal.

I have to say that the problem hasn´t for now reoccurred and that is with having had some serious downpours of which the most recent was yesterday!

So far so good!

So my first port of call would be to try some sort of silicon window seal spray and save yourself a small fortune in the process. I can´t remember the exact make Audi used.

Hope this helps

D.

Hi,

Since my last post I "tested" the window by simply winding it up and down a few times more to see if by doing so the window came up with water on it which it didn´t and to further lubricate the seal.

I have to say that the problem hasn´t for now reoccurred and that is with having had some serious downpours of which the most recent was yesterday!

So far so good!

So my first port of call would be to try some sort of silicon window seal spray and save yourself a small fortune in the process. I can´t remember the exact make Audi used.

Hope this helps

D.
Hi, I bought a new A3 sportback in September last year. The offside rear passenger door leaks rainwater through the outer door seal. When the door's opened after a rainfall water drips onto the rear passenger seat. The garage can't fix it, even by replacing the seal and Audi have washed their hands of it, sayings it sometimes happens!!
Has anyone else had this problem. I'm thinking of rejecting the car and asking for a refund under the sale of goods act 1979 - should be interesting!