Clutch is going....

J17_KNO

Reaction score
Evening folks,

just back from my mates dad's place who is a mechanic. Sadly the clutch is going on the A3, but unfortunately he is not willing to do the job due to not wanting to take on big jobs (part time mechanic) and the transfer box of the Quattro (he is guessing it would make it more difficult). Bit of a downer as he always charges very little for time as I would of helped him.

Anyways this his has got me thinking what to do as to be honest I've never really fallen for the car like I did for my previous golf. Had thoughts of selling it or trading it in. Now it's really not in my nature to be dishonest, so I would be informing any potential buyers of the clutch problem. What do you think the chances are of a sale (I don't think very high)? Obviously I would take a hit in cash, but at least I would have a clear conscience.

Then there is the option of part exchange, I wouldn't feel too bad part exchanging it with a dealer as they have the means for a cheap fix. Again what do you think my chances are?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Justin

could always part ex it ? you might not get the cash you want but you won't have to shell out the cost with your own money as such

Clutch is going.... Say Good bye :p

well what sabers said why do you want to sell a beautiful A3 quattro :p if its a 2.0tfsi there is allot of potential

Sometimes you just click with a car, by all means sell up , but a clutch is only a small cost in comparison to a new car

clutch change on a 4wd is 6 hours of work, at 50+ quid an hour in alot of garages then vat ur looking 360 quid. not to mention price of the new clutch(2nd hand or new i dont know)

you can PX at garages who alot of time just look at car and give u an offer or u can reduce ur value for say 500 saying need new clutch or u can change it with a breakers clutch maybe and get ur value.

Thanks for the replies.

Ye it's given me something to think about, I think if I had clicked with the car I wouldn't hesitate.

Then there is the problem of the cost for new car etc and I'm in the process of saving for a house.

Seen a couple of gti's at dealers not far away and quite fancy one, and if I can get a trade in + the total cost of what it's going to cost me to get the a3 to where I want it I might go for it. Dunno if I should say that on an a3 forum ha ha

And should of also said it's a 170 diesel, not that it makes too much difference I don't think

Scrap that idea then! I will be happy to do your clutch for you but I'm done in surrey !

I appreciate the offer buddy, would of definitely taken you up on it if I was closer to you!

On that note, just out of curiosity, how difficult are they to do? I'm no mechanic by any means, but do all my own oil changes, brake changes and other bits and bobs. So knowing which way round to hold the spanner and armed with a Haynes manual is it do-able?

Time isn't an issue as I have access to another car for work etc. This idea appeals to me as I would learn while doing it plus save a wee bit of cash.

subframe, wishbones, drive shafts all need to come of from underneath the car to get into the transfer box to strip it down. all needs toruqed and everything, a job i wouldnt say for the novice mate. then all needs aligned.

Hmmm...ye maybe I shouldn't be attempting it myself ha ha

Thanks for all the replies, got a wee bit of thinking to do!

It's not the worst job in the world, if you allowed a weekend and took your time you could change it no problem.
I'd imagine you would still be looking at £500-£600 just in clutch, DMF,stretch bolts, seals (prop shaft seal is £50 alone) and oil. Providing you have the tools and a couple of trolley jacks and a torque wrench and some friendly forum members to tell you the torque settings.

With out a ramp and an extra pair of hands you will struggle. You will also need a clutch alignment tool but as said driveshafts subframe transfer box the gbox out.

Ye seems a bit beyond my capabilities ha ha but thanks for all the advice, much appreciated