Potential S3 bargain uprated brake pad find!

Muzza80

Reaction score
So as I do the odd track day and annual Nurburgring trip I've been looking at upgrading the standard brakes on my 2010 S3 Sportback to something a bit more performance orientated.

To give you a little history I've had (recently) a 300bhp Astra VXR with Alcons, a 300ish bhp Focus ST-3 with various pads on standard calipers/discs and a 300bhp Hawkeye Impreza with standard Brembo's and various pads so I've tried a good few different setups.

Personally, until I can justify (and save up for!) a big brake upgrade I need to get the standard setup running effectively enough that I can do a track day or three without worry that I'm going to cook the standard pads/fluid. I was in a similar situation with the Focus ST and the Scooby and I had excellent results with upgraded pads, fluid & braided lines.

Now I'd tried a number of fast road / light track "dual-duty" pads and in my opinion the very best of them being:

Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Z-Rated

The new generation of Performance Friction Z-Rated® pads are an extension of the Performance Friction Carbon Metallic® brand, specifically engineered for high-performance and/or severe-duty usage. This compound has been developed for fast road / track day applications. Itprovides more stopping power and increased fade resistance over the std OE materials but retains the good qualities of the road pad i.e., low dusting and noise along with low wear rate.

These were extremely good both in the Focus and in the Scooby at Knockhill for me.
For anyone that does not know it, Knockhill in reverse direction is a very hard circuit on brakes, you're lapping at a little over a minute a time with a very long fast (100 mph+) straight then hard on the brakes downhill into a left hand hairpin 10-15 lap sessions gets any brakes very very hot, so hot that the caliper paint on my ST was smoking heavily and went from red to dark brown after one session, yet no fade at all just excellent braking. Along with excellent cold bite, low dust and low noise they're a winner in my eyes, better than the DS2500's in my opinion and about half the price.

Anyway, I'd had a look on the Performance Friction website but they had nothing listed for the 2010 S3 that I could find so thought I'd drop them an email.... Just got a reply:

Dear Mr XXXX – Thank you for your enquiry. We can offer brake pads for your Audi S3, but there is a choice of two pad profiles which could be fitted to it. At the moment we only offer the pads in the compounds shown. Please compare your current front pad against the attached profiles – with luck it matches the 0687, as we can offer you the Z-Rated compound that you liked on your Impreza!

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require more detail.

So what I need to work out is which of the following images are an accurate match for the pads fitted to a 2010 S3, anyone got any old/new pads lying around they could compare them to?

0687_zps4f67dd7c.png~original

1305_zps039be114.png~original

Now the best bit, if the 687 profile matches then the pads are available in the Z-Rated Compound for a grand total of £71.71!! (which is a ****** bargain, trust me!)

These with a dot 5.1 fluid flush & maybe braided lines and you're looking at a very good road/occasional track setup for not a lot of money at all.

Anyway now to work out if this is the right profile for the S3, can anyone confirm before I go ripping out my pads at the weekend?

Cheers!

Reactions: warren_S5
had some PF stuff on my old M3 and thought they were really good. can't help on the pad shape though.

Reactions: Muzza80
From the diagram the top of the pad shape is different so couldnt you look at your caliper and what is poking out ? ie a flat surface or a domed one ?

This could be very interesting to me as I wanted to upgrade mine please let me know the outcome and what you think of them if you get them :)

Cant see it through the caliper with the wheel on ill need to whip it off and have a look.

Interestingly the Brembo diagram also shows two types but under one part number. Confused...

Looking at them again unfortunately from the Brembo tech drawings here:

Brembo Aftermarket Catalogue

It looks like the 0687 pads actually are for the old 8L S3 from 96-2003

It would seem the 1305 are the correct profile for the 8P S3

Brembo Aftermarket Catalogue

The 1305 are the 06 compound and are more of a race pad.

Last edited:
Thread revival time!

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? Needing to replace my DS2500's soon - far too noisy for a daily drive (squealing!).