Brake Fluid Change

yoda

Reaction score
Just got a flyer through the door from the dealer saying that my car is due for a brake fluid change.

Any ideas how much this will cost and how long it normally takes ?

Cheers

I've always had mine done at the same time as an ordinary service, but no doubt a quick phone call to the dealer should give you the answers.

Not had mine done yet, but think it's about £75 depending on dealer location. So that should mean about 1/2hrs labour to complete job. So they should be able to do it while you wait.

very recent quotes for a Main Dealer brake fluid service ranged from £45 to £88 - that was for an 8L S3.

According to the Audi UK Service and Maintenance spreadsheet the time allowed for the Brake Fluid change is 0.50 hours and the brake fluid would cost £12.40.

All you need now is your particular dealers hourly rate.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll give a few dealers a phone on monday morning and let you know how I get on.

[ QUOTE ]
Just got a flyer through the door from the dealer saying that my car is due for a brake fluid change.

Any ideas how much this will cost and how long it normally takes ?

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

This one puzzles me a little as the current DOT5 brake fluid is silicone based, whilst the DOT4 stuff is alcohol based (and this absorbs water).

The original logic for changing the fluid was because of the water absorbtion....

Oh well better safe than sorry I suppose..

I didn't think any production car used DOT5. I've changed to DOT5.1 due to it's better than DOT4 properties but it's not silicone based and therefore is an easy upgade. If you go for silicone then you need to, at the very least flush the old stuff out.

Here's a good comparison. : HERE

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think any production car used DOT5. I've changed to DOT5.1 due to it's better than DOT4 properties but it's not silicone based and therefore is an easy upgade. If you go for silicone then you need to, at the very least flush the old stuff out.

Here's a good comparison. : HERE

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Scotty, I must admit that I kind of assumed if the incredibly conservative and at least 10 years behind everyone else folks at Saab had grasped DOT5 (my last two 95 Aeros had it) then the rest of the industry must have been riding the bike for a while....clearly not!

Phoned 2 dealers, £69 from Glasgow Audi, and £59 from Edinburgh Audi.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the replies, I'll give a few dealers a phone on monday morning and let you know how I get on.

[/ QUOTE ]