EM TuningJMB Retrofits
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 41
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Coilovers urgent help!

  1. #1
    Persian's Avatar
    CEO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186

    Coilovers urgent help!

    Have tried lots to search for my answer and email members rather then open new thread but no luck!

    Could anybody tell me the strut size for 8P1 2004 1.6 FSI Sport please?

    DPM (Damian) advised me to measure it however said it's most likely 50mm! It's urgent as my current stock dampers are on 50mm H&R's but are gone and need to replace them with some coilovers ASAP.

    Also which of the following is a better choice for about £400

    - V-maxx
    - AP
    - FK High Sport (prefer this as they seem to go really low)

    Was thinking to go budget (JOM or FK AK) however don't want to risk!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    469

    Coilovers urgent help!

    I've got AP X and very I'm very pleased with them...

    But mine is a heavy car compare to yours, 3.2 v6 are roughly 2 tones

  4. #3
    Persian's Avatar
    CEO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186
    Yep just saw your thread! Looks awesome but tbh don't have the budget for AP X or 3.2 v6 lol!

    Any thoughts on FK's?

  5. #4
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,145
    Apparently FK's make lots of weird noises.

    Heard nothing but good from AP's and I can vouch for them, just a shame they don't go stupidly low.
    farzad and Persian like this.

  6. #5
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,145

  7. #6
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    785
    I wouldnt put FK near my car.

    Have APs in my S3 and over the moon with them.

    check etka for part number of strut see if you can find any clues but sounds like 50mm alright.
    Persian likes this.
    back to boost, oh how I missed thee....

  8. #7
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    469
    Stay away from FKs :-/

  9. #8
    Persian's Avatar
    CEO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186
    Thanks for the replies, AP's seem to be it just too bad they don't seem to go "stupid" low

    Will hopefully be able to find strut size

  10. #9
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    785
    this is my S3 fully wound down (with adjusters still in rear)

    smurfworth and Persian like this.
    back to boost, oh how I missed thee....

  11. #10
    sabers's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    nottingham
    Posts
    114
    v-maxx are good , just put them on mine.

  12. #11
    DPM
    DPM's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Newcastle/Durham
    Posts
    4,291

    My Social Networking

    Follow DPM On Twitter Add DPM on Facebook Visit DPM's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Persian View Post
    Have tried lots to search for my answer and email members rather then open new thread but no luck!

    Could anybody tell me the strut size for 8P1 2004 1.6 FSI Sport please?

    DPM (Damian) advised me to measure it however said it's most likely 50mm! It's urgent as my current stock dampers are on 50mm H&R's but are gone and need to replace them with some coilovers ASAP.

    Also which of the following is a better choice for about £400

    - V-maxx
    - AP
    - FK High Sport (prefer this as they seem to go really low)

    Was thinking to go budget (JOM or FK AK) however don't want to risk!
    Were Audi not able to tell you from your chassis number?

    Damian@ DPM Performance
    DPM Performance
    The premier online suspension and performance specialists
    W: www.dpmperformance.co.uk
    T: 01207 561606
    E: sales@dpmperformance.co.uk

  13. #12
    pwilliamson1991's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    76
    I currently have FK's in mine. All i can say is DO NOT BUY FK's. Worst mistake ever. Can't wait to my mot comes to I get them changed.
    Persian likes this.

  14. #13
    Persian's Avatar
    CEO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by DPM View Post
    Were Audi not able to tell you from your chassis number?

    Damian@ DPM Performance
    For some reason they replied saying we could order you parts however are unable to supply you with part numbers or information, in my case strut size.

  15. #14
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by sabers View Post
    v-maxx are good , just put them on mine.
    Yet you were moaning about them in your thread saying they are too hard and you want them off

  16. #15
    Persian's Avatar
    CEO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186
    Tried to use etka and sport suspension is coming up with 50 and 55mm size?

    VIN check don't seem to work either😖

  17. #16
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by DPM View Post
    Were Audi not able to tell you from your chassis number?

    Damian@ DPM Performance

    Audi dealers are totally useless and NOT willing to provide accurate info over the phone/ or email unless you're willing to make an order...

    I've tried couple of dealers here in London and they're absolutely waste :-\


  18. #17
    Persian's Avatar
    CEO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186
    I'm gonna give it another shot tomorrow and hopefully get some results...

    Yet before ordering my AP's from damian wanted to know if all FK's are bad? I've come across 3 different models on DPM (Apart from the budget AK) around the same price as the AP's however with adjustable dampers and more low? any advice would be appreciated

    FK Highsport
    FK Silverline
    FK Sport Edition Plus

    Apart from the top 3, I assume these AP's would be my only choice left.

  19. #18
    Persian's Avatar
    CEO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186
    Finally got a response from main dealer:

    "The price per front shock absorber (size 49,6mm) is £78.35 Including VAT. The price per rear shock absorber is £71.32 including VAT"

    In case anybody else has a 1.6, this i assume now confirms its 50mm strut

  20. #19
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,145
    I think TimG had highsports on his a3. However, seeing how tightly wound the springs are I can't exactly see it being comfy. A3 - Tims

    And as far as I'm aware fk sport edition plus coilovers have been discontinued.

    Depending on how high up your list comfort is then that will be your main decider. If you want practical lows with awesome comfort AP's are for you, but if you want a slammed ride and not overly fussed by comfort then go FK's. However, there seems to be lots of blown shocks with FK's.
    Persian likes this.

  21. #20
    Persian's Avatar
    CEO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186
    Thanks for the response well I was and am after slam look as it's an 8P1 and believe would only look nice when really low however the entire point of me changing my H&R's is ride bounciness and comfort.

    Surely would be going for the AP's hopefully 65mm lowering would be enough 😊.

  22. #21
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,145
    Well, mines wound all the way down as you've probably seen, but you still can't get your finger in the front or rear arch. Next step would be air, mainly to keep it practical as I don't see how you can go much lower than the AP's provide without having to do about 2mph over every speed bump.
    Persian likes this.

  23. #22
    leeds2592's Avatar
    When I grow up, I want a 964!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,180

    My Social Networking

    Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Had AP's on my A3 for quite a while now and I rate them very highly for the price.

    Mine are wound all the way down and are still pretty comfy. Just wish they went a touch lower though myself.
    Persian likes this.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

  24. #23
    Persian's Avatar
    CEO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186
    Went tonight for a final ride/decision and literally couldn't cope with the bumpy ride. Went with it and ordered the AP's from Damian, hopefully get them fitted ASAP.

    Appreciate all the help and replies from everyone , specially smurfworth and pablo
    smurfworth and leeds2592 like this.

  25. #24
    leeds2592's Avatar
    When I grow up, I want a 964!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,180

    My Social Networking

    Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Good choice

    They can be a bit of a bugger to adjust on the back due to the whole spring and black holder spinning instead of just the adjusted when using the c spanner. To get round this, drill a little hole in the black holder before fitting. That way you can stick a screwdriver in it to stop it spinning when adjusting with the c spanner. This'll save up having to undo the swing arm and remove the spring everytime you want to adjust them!
    Last edited by leeds2592; 6th February 2014 at 10:39.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

  26. #25
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    785
    nice idea mate! I just popped the arm off and pulled the spring out. it doesnt take too long but thats one for next time!
    back to boost, oh how I missed thee....

  27. #26
    leeds2592's Avatar
    When I grow up, I want a 964!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,180

    My Social Networking

    Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    nice idea mate! I just popped the arm off and pulled the spring out. it doesnt take too long but thats one for next time!
    I learnt it that hard way and it was suggested to me by a lad on here.Tried to undo the swing arm but it was rusted and wouldn't budge at all. Tried for hours without joy so in the end, I just drilled the black holder whilst it was on the car. Wasn't the easiest to do on the car but makes it a hell of a lot easier to adjust now.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

  28. #27
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    785
    how did you get the spring out in the first place? compressors?
    back to boost, oh how I missed thee....

  29. #28
    leeds2592's Avatar
    When I grow up, I want a 964!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,180

    My Social Networking

    Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    how did you get the spring out in the first place? compressors?
    I didn't, a garage did it for me quite a while ago. God knows how it managed to get so stuck in over a year, but oh well.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

  30. #29
    Persian's Avatar
    CEO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by leeds2592 View Post
    Good choice

    They can be a bit of a bugger to adjust on the back due to the whole spring and black holder spinning instead of just the adjusted when using the c spanner. To get round this, drill a little hole in the black holder before fitting. That way you can stick a screwdriver in it to stop it spinning when adjusting with the c spanner. This'll save up having to undo the swing arm and remove the spring everytime you want to adjust them!
    I was actually worried about the back adjustment! Surely will do this, cheers.

  31. #30
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,145
    Glad you went for the AP's, you won't be disappointed. Just wind them all the way down and install them. You won't need to raise them. I've been thinking about removing the rear adjuster if anything.

  32. #31
    leeds2592's Avatar
    When I grow up, I want a 964!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,180

    My Social Networking

    Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Persian View Post
    I was actually worried about the back adjustment! Surely will do this, cheers.
    No worries.

    Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post
    Glad you went for the AP's, you won't be disappointed. Just wind them all the way down and install them. You won't need to raise them. I've been thinking about removing the rear adjuster if anything.
    Was debating doing this but I'm getting rid of my car so there's no point.

    Not seen an A3 with them removed though, will it not cause some reverse rake?
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

  33. #32
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by leeds2592 View Post
    No worries.



    Was debating doing this but I'm getting rid of my car so there's no point.

    Not seen an A3 with them removed though, will it not cause some reverse rake?
    You get a bit of reverse rake with a full tank of fuel on AP's anyway, get two people to sit in the boot and you'll see what it looks like I don't think it looks too bad tbh. There is someone on here who has adjusters removed, I'll try and find the pics

    No adjuster pics here: Ap, FK coilovers - pics

  34. #33
    Persian's Avatar
    CEO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186

    Coilovers urgent help!

    Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post
    You get a bit of reverse rake with a full tank of fuel on AP's anyway, get two people to sit in the boot and you'll see what it looks like I don't think it looks too bad tbh. There is someone on here who has adjusters removed, I'll try and find the pics

    No adjuster pics here: Ap, FK coilovers - pics
    If I install them without the rear adjuster how much will that be lowered totally by? I'm guessing 90mm?

    I'm on 8J's RS6's ET43 so I think lower then 65mm would rub but would play around with them? As the link you gave seems slammed ☺️

  35. #34
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,145
    The adjuster is only around 5-10mm thick so would only give an extra 5-10mm of lowness. What size tyres are on ur rs6's? Et43 might rub if you have no adjusters cus I can already tuck the rear wheel Witt the adjusters in.

  36. #35
    Persian's Avatar
    CEO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post
    The adjuster is only around 5-10mm thick so would only give an extra 5-10mm of lowness. What size tyres are on ur rs6's? Et43 might rub if you have no adjusters cus I can already tuck the rear wheel Witt the adjusters in.
    Tyres are 225/40/18, I think it would rub unless I have 215's but again 65mm i think is low enough judging from your progress pics. If not then I guess only way around is 215's.

  37. #36
    pwilliamson1991's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    76
    I have the adjusters removed from mine on FK's IMG_3391.jpg IMG_3390.jpg

  38. #37
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by pwilliamson1991 View Post
    I have the adjusters removed from mine on FK's IMG_3391.jpg IMG_3390.jpg
    WOW! My v6 is too low, now looking at yours and this far too too low... is it possible to drive that at all without knocking...

  39. #38
    Persian's Avatar
    CEO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186
    Quick update for anybody else interested, had the AP's fitted last weekend been driving on them for good 7/8 days now and have to rate them full house!

    Quality is awesome, no knocking noises at all, adjuster are yet on the back but wound all the way down front and rear and today I realised that they have sat really low!

    In terms of how low they go it's just how I want them as I doubt I could literally drive them if any lower. Will grab some pics ASAP and post them.

    The car is a bit lower up front however surprisingly for some reason usually from a 35mpg daily drive I now am getting about 45+!!! (No complain)

    Anyways just wanted to thank everybody for their awesome help and support appreciate it guys.
    smurfworth and farzad like this.

  40. #39
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    this is my S3 fully wound down (with adjusters still in rear)

    See, this is why I'm not a fan of normal s3 coilovers, in my opinion they just don't go low enough regardless of the brand.

    People say the 25mm H&R springs go low enough, but S3 AP coilovers state they lower upto 40mm but its still not low enough!

    Its the only reason i'd consider H&R ultra lows if i ended up with an S3.

  41. #40
    Persian's Avatar
    CEO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post
    See, this is why I'm not a fan of normal s3 coilovers, in my opinion they just don't go low enough regardless of the brand.

    People say the 25mm H&R springs go low enough, but S3 AP coilovers state they lower upto 40mm but its still not low enough!

    Its the only reason i'd consider H&R ultra lows if i ended up with an S3.
    Despite the car AP's, AP X or Weitec and KW's all go as low as 65mm max! I thought this isn't enough however after mine settling which i still think requires another week or two I think 65mm is max no matter whether it's a A3 or S3 as after that I would surely consider bags!

    I do however get your point if only they would have gone down to 75mm all the way around I think that would be awesome but perhaps for it to be practical I think next step would be bags specially in areas I live.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. urgent help needed..coilover adjustment
    By joss in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11th July 2008, 22:29
  2. URGENT Help Please
    By [Dave B] in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th November 2003, 17:06
  3. H&R Coilovers... Please help for the S3
    By s8n in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th October 2003, 06:28
  4. URGENT HELP NEEDED... WHAT WOULD CAUSE....
    By RichA3Turbo in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23rd July 2003, 07:50
  5. Urgent help needed
    By Stuart_A3_Turbo in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 13th July 2003, 09:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO