Coilovers urgent help!

Persian

CEO
Reaction score
Have tried lots to search for my answer and email members rather then open new thread but no luck!

Could anybody tell me the strut size for 8P1 2004 1.6 FSI Sport please?

DPM (Damian) advised me to measure it however said it's most likely 50mm! It's urgent as my current stock dampers are on 50mm H&R's but are gone and need to replace them with some coilovers ASAP.

Also which of the following is a better choice for about £400

- V-maxx
- AP
- FK High Sport (prefer this as they seem to go really low)

Was thinking to go budget (JOM or FK AK) however don't want to risk!

I've got AP X and very I'm very pleased with them...

But mine is a heavy car compare to yours, 3.2 v6 are roughly 2 tones

Yep just saw your thread! Looks awesome but tbh don't have the budget for AP X or 3.2 v6 lol!

Any thoughts on FK's?

Apparently FK's make lots of weird noises.

Heard nothing but good from AP's and I can vouch for them, just a shame they don't go stupidly low.

Reactions: Fanboy and Persian
I wouldnt put FK near my car.

Have APs in my S3 and over the moon with them.

check etka for part number of strut see if you can find any clues but sounds like 50mm alright.

Reactions: Persian
Thanks for the replies, AP's seem to be it just too bad they don't seem to go "stupid" low

Will hopefully be able to find strut size

this is my S3 fully wound down (with adjusters still in rear)

Reactions: smurfworth and Persian
Have tried lots to search for my answer and email members rather then open new thread but no luck!

Could anybody tell me the strut size for 8P1 2004 1.6 FSI Sport please?

DPM (Damian) advised me to measure it however said it's most likely 50mm! It's urgent as my current stock dampers are on 50mm H&R's but are gone and need to replace them with some coilovers ASAP.

Also which of the following is a better choice for about £400

- V-maxx
- AP
- FK High Sport (prefer this as they seem to go really low)

Was thinking to go budget (JOM or FK AK) however don't want to risk!

Were Audi not able to tell you from your chassis number?

Damian@ DPM Performance

I currently have FK's in mine. All i can say is DO NOT BUY FK's. Worst mistake ever. Can't wait to my mot comes to I get them changed.

Damian@ DPM Performance

For some reason they replied saying we could order you parts however are unable to supply you with part numbers or information, in my case strut size.

Tried to use etka and sport suspension is coming up with 50 and 55mm size?

VIN check don't seem to work either😖

Damian@ DPM Performance

Audi dealers are totally useless and NOT willing to provide accurate info over the phone/ or email unless you're willing to make an order...

I've tried couple of dealers here in London and they're absolutely waste :-\

:keule:

I'm gonna give it another shot tomorrow and hopefully get some results...

Yet before ordering my AP's from damian wanted to know if all FK's are bad? I've come across 3 different models on DPM (Apart from the budget AK) around the same price as the AP's however with adjustable dampers and more low? any advice would be appreciated :)

FK Highsport
FK Silverline
FK Sport Edition Plus

Apart from the top 3, I assume these AP's would be my only choice left.

Finally got a response from main dealer:

"The price per front shock absorber (size 49,6mm) is £78.35 Including VAT. The price per rear shock absorber is £71.32 including VAT"

In case anybody else has a 1.6, this i assume now confirms its 50mm strut :p

I think TimG had highsports on his a3. However, seeing how tightly wound the springs are I can't exactly see it being comfy. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/117830-a3-tims-3.html

And as far as I'm aware fk sport edition plus coilovers have been discontinued.

Depending on how high up your list comfort is then that will be your main decider. If you want practical lows with awesome comfort AP's are for you, but if you want a slammed ride and not overly fussed by comfort then go FK's. However, there seems to be lots of blown shocks with FK's.

Thanks for the response well I was and am after slam look as it's an 8P1 and believe would only look nice when really low however the entire point of me changing my H&R's is ride bounciness and comfort.

Surely would be going for the AP's hopefully 65mm lowering would be enough 😊.

Well, mines wound all the way down as you've probably seen, but you still can't get your finger in the front or rear arch. Next step would be air, mainly to keep it practical as I don't see how you can go much lower than the AP's provide without having to do about 2mph over every speed bump.

Had AP's on my A3 for quite a while now and I rate them very highly for the price.

Mine are wound all the way down and are still pretty comfy. Just wish they went a touch lower though myself.

Went tonight for a final ride/decision and literally couldn't cope with the bumpy ride. Went with it and ordered the AP's from Damian, hopefully get them fitted ASAP.

Appreciate all the help and replies from everyone :yahoo:, specially smurfworth and pablo :beerchug:

Reactions: smurfworth and leeds2592
Good choice :icon_thumright:

They can be a bit of a ****** to adjust on the back due to the whole spring and black holder spinning instead of just the adjusted when using the c spanner. To get round this, drill a little hole in the black holder before fitting. That way you can stick a screwdriver in it to stop it spinning when adjusting with the c spanner. This'll save up having to undo the swing arm and remove the spring everytime you want to adjust them!

Last edited:
nice idea mate! I just popped the arm off and pulled the spring out. it doesnt take too long but thats one for next time!

nice idea mate! I just popped the arm off and pulled the spring out. it doesnt take too long but thats one for next time!
I learnt it that hard way and it was suggested to me by a lad on here.Tried to undo the swing arm but it was rusted and wouldn't budge at all. Tried for hours without joy so in the end, I just drilled the black holder whilst it was on the car. Wasn't the easiest to do on the car but makes it a hell of a lot easier to adjust now.

how did you get the spring out in the first place? compressors?

how did you get the spring out in the first place? compressors?

I didn't, a garage did it for me quite a while ago. God knows how it managed to get so stuck in over a year, but oh well.

Good choice :icon_thumright:

They can be a bit of a ****** to adjust on the back due to the whole spring and black holder spinning instead of just the adjusted when using the c spanner. To get round this, drill a little hole in the black holder before fitting. That way you can stick a screwdriver in it to stop it spinning when adjusting with the c spanner. This'll save up having to undo the swing arm and remove the spring everytime you want to adjust them!

I was actually worried about the back adjustment! Surely will do this, cheers.

Glad you went for the AP's, you won't be disappointed. Just wind them all the way down and install them. You won't need to raise them. I've been thinking about removing the rear adjuster if anything.

I was actually worried about the back adjustment! Surely will do this, cheers.

No worries.

Glad you went for the AP's, you won't be disappointed. Just wind them all the way down and install them. You won't need to raise them. I've been thinking about removing the rear adjuster if anything.

Was debating doing this but I'm getting rid of my car so there's no point.

Not seen an A3 with them removed though, will it not cause some reverse rake?

No worries.

Was debating doing this but I'm getting rid of my car so there's no point.

Not seen an A3 with them removed though, will it not cause some reverse rake?

You get a bit of reverse rake with a full tank of fuel on AP's anyway, get two people to sit in the boot and you'll see what it looks like I don't think it looks too bad tbh. There is someone on here who has adjusters removed, I'll try and find the pics

No adjuster pics here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/196443-ap-fk-coilovers-pics.html

You get a bit of reverse rake with a full tank of fuel on AP's anyway, get two people to sit in the boot and you'll see what it looks like I don't think it looks too bad tbh. There is someone on here who has adjusters removed, I'll try and find the pics

No adjuster pics here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/196443-ap-fk-coilovers-pics.html

If I install them without the rear adjuster how much will that be lowered totally by? I'm guessing 90mm?

I'm on 8J's RS6's ET43 so I think lower then 65mm would rub but would play around with them? As the link you gave seems slammed ☺️

The adjuster is only around 5-10mm thick so would only give an extra 5-10mm of lowness. What size tyres are on ur rs6's? Et43 might rub if you have no adjusters cus I can already tuck the rear wheel Witt the adjusters in.

The adjuster is only around 5-10mm thick so would only give an extra 5-10mm of lowness. What size tyres are on ur rs6's? Et43 might rub if you have no adjusters cus I can already tuck the rear wheel Witt the adjusters in.

Tyres are 225/40/18, I think it would rub unless I have 215's but again 65mm i think is low enough judging from your progress pics. If not then I guess only way around is 215's.

I have the adjusters removed from mine on FK's IMG 3391 IMG 3390

Quick update for anybody else interested, had the AP's fitted last weekend been driving on them for good 7/8 days now and have to rate them full house!

Quality is awesome, no knocking noises at all, adjuster are yet on the back but wound all the way down front and rear and today I realised that they have sat really low!

In terms of how low they go it's just how I want them as I doubt I could literally drive them if any lower. Will grab some pics ASAP and post them.

The car is a bit lower up front however surprisingly for some reason usually from a 35mpg daily drive I now am getting about 45+!!! (No complain)

Anyways just wanted to thank everybody for their awesome help and support appreciate it guys.

Reactions: Fanboy and smurfworth
this is my S3 fully wound down (with adjusters still in rear)

See, this is why I'm not a fan of normal s3 coilovers, in my opinion they just don't go low enough regardless of the brand.

People say the 25mm H&R springs go low enough, but S3 AP coilovers state they lower upto 40mm but its still not low enough!

Its the only reason i'd consider H&R ultra lows if i ended up with an S3.

See, this is why I'm not a fan of normal s3 coilovers, in my opinion they just don't go low enough regardless of the brand.

People say the 25mm H&R springs go low enough, but S3 AP coilovers state they lower upto 40mm but its still not low enough!

Its the only reason i'd consider H&R ultra lows if i ended up with an S3.

Despite the car AP's, AP X or Weitec and KW's all go as low as 65mm max! I thought this isn't enough however after mine settling which i still think requires another week or two I think 65mm is max no matter whether it's a A3 or S3 as after that I would surely consider bags!

I do however get your point if only they would have gone down to 75mm all the way around I think that would be awesome but perhaps for it to be practical I think next step would be bags specially in areas I live.