S3 has gone... Hello a5 :)

Jkevs

Reaction score
Hello all, i've just part exchanged my s3 for an audi a5 Quattro ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391048848899605ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391048860182070 3.0 v6 tdi ;) absolutely loving it.

Nice! What made u swap it ? Fancy a change ?

I was just seriously fed up of doing 15-17 around town and just touching 23-25 on a run. I dont have the lightest foot in the world either so the noise of the petrol didn't exactly make me want to drive it calmly lol always had diesels before the s3 so decided to go back. I'd definitely have another s3 though, when work doesn't require being driven too lol

Good desicion.I would love an a5 (would have to be a 2 door) black edition.But as i garage my car all the time an a5 would not fit in it.The shape of the a5 is really nice,including the interior.

I came from an A5 3.0tdi sport (modified to 310bhp) and found the S3 not only quicker (even in std form) but also more nimble due to the vast weight of the A5 platform. I obviously got better mileage out of the diesel engine but I would struggle to get more than low 40's even on a decent run and I get mid 30's out of the S3 on the same run.

If you're heavy footed you will struggle to get above low 30's on the big diesels - they really ain't that impressive on fuel economy.

Good luck with it anyway.

p.s. make sure you fit a Milltek cat back - they sound out of this world! Several so called car nuts thought mine was an S5 (V8 petrol)!

Last edited:
Well it has a milltek cat back fitted to it, but there isn't a lot of noise from it :/ it's the quad exit one. I've had my fun with small cars diesel and petrol but at the moment I want something that retrieves fairly good mpg's and is a bit of a head turner. Driving it back from Wellington to carmarthen yesterday I averaged 42 which I was very happy with. On the drive up I was averaging 15 but to be fair I was giving it the old final drive treatment ;). I love my a5 but would love to have a bit more noise from the exhaust. I'll leave it as it is for now until my car bugs start tingling again lol.

Is it definitely a Milltek as they sound awesome - check out the many clips on Youtube.

It is definitely a milltek, i've had one on 2 of my previous cars and it's definitely a milltek. Even has it printed on the tips. Need to get it up on the ramps and have a good look, maybe it's resonated :(

Hmm, maybe it has the resonated silencers - need to ditch these asap! My Milltek dealer sold 2 full systems to other 3.0 tdi owners based on the hearing mine! You will get a bit of drone at 70mph but nowhere near as bad the the non-res S3 Milltek system.

I'm still yet to get her up on the ramps :( the brake pad warning came on two days ago so that needs doing now and billing to the garage I bought it from. Things never go smoothly lol.

With the resonated silencers I'm hesitant to start chopping a milltek, but then again from listening to the YouTube clips it may have to be done. The sound these belch out is absolutely amazing.

Wow! Nice one...
Post some more pics of that bad boy :haha:

Just wondering HOW were you getting 17-18 around the town, something must have be wrong, coz I get around 25-27 with my 3.2 v6 and I've a heavy foot!

Nice change; I'm about to make the switch from S3 to S5 in April, can't wait!

Are you enjoying the 5?

Love the A5's spec, except no rear window wiper, which as I've found on other cars of this window design, a right pain in the *****

Will get some pics once this weather gets a grip lol. Well I used to small journeys mostly and very often they were flat out lol but even driving tidy I'd struggle to get even decent miles. A trip that cost me £40 In the s3 from carmarthen to cardiff cost me £20 in the a5 :) win win 👍

I'd love an s5. Im a bit of a derv head so missed my diesel. The s3 being the first petrol I missed my diesels terribly lol. Thoroughly enjoying the a5. Look forward to driving it every day when I finish work lol.

Ye I find it a bit of a pain when it's been raining as I don't trust the sensors so like to see where I'm going lol.