coolant warning

jazzysingh

Reaction score
Every time I top up my coolant - the following day or few days later - I get another warning on the dash to top it up.

I check and its gone. I cant see a leak anywhere. No puddles or evidence of a leak. Kinda weird.

Any suggestions?

Scratch the coolant sensors prongs inside the reservoir with a flat screwdriver, common issue & worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion - but the coolant is disappearing ? i am not sure where! lol

Oh sorry I thought you meant the warning had gone, lol, ok well any issues starting, any smoke?

Oh sorry I thought you meant the warning had gone, lol, ok well any issues starting, any smoke?

funny you mention smoke...

sometimes, not always, i get a lot of white smoke... but it always disappears after fives mins or so of driving, it used to be really thick but nowadays there isnt as much

Not sure if the 8p is the same but my water/coolant housing seal went a few weeks ago. It wouldn't leak when sat outside but only lost coolant when moving. Fit a new coolant housing/flange and it sorted it. Only found the leak from running a hose into the coolant tank with the engine running and then it would spit the water out the housing (on the side of the cyl head).

check left hand side bottom of rad or egr cooler common problem leaking or could be you have a pourous head had same problem with mine and replaced head and then deleated egr cooler no leaks anymore good luck

I've removed the EGR and its cooler on my engine. Also changed the radiator. Both the cooler and radiator were leaking.
Still, the coolant is vanishing. Since the cold came, I've also noticed the white smoke in the morning which disappears after 5-10 minutes of driving.
Also the engine judders at start in the morning.
I'm going to change the head (and the gasket, water pump, timing belt and pulleys) in March as there is nowhere else the coolant may go.

Will cost me ~1,200 euros :(

I had a similar issue in my MY55 A3 Sport 2.0T DSG. I looked for the typical signs of cracked head (forgot the signs but wasnt that) and then gave up and took to my mechanic and he found there was a crack in the radiator where something was loose and radiator was rubbing against it. The puddle (or slight wetpatch) under car was under the radiator area so this was a sign. He just took it to a radiator reconditioning place and had the crack brazed (£50) but the labor to get to the Rad was a 3-4hours.