Factory fitted AUX input not working

infernox

Reaction score
I bought my 2008 Audi A3 1.4tfsi Sport a few months ago and it came with the RNS-e headunit and Bose sound system. Tried using the AUX input near the handbrake but it doesn't work. The RNS-e says that the External Audio Source is active at all times (even when nothing is inserted into the AUX input) and when you select it is just a buzzing noise. Tried using an ipod nano and iphone 4 and it just keeps the buzzing noise. Any help would be appreciated. Here's an image of what the RNS-e headunit shows.

IMG 1262

Hi. Is it possible that the rnse was not fitted from factory and the wiring has not been swapped over to get the auxiliary port to work? Please read this link http://audiretrofit.quinlivan.net/rnseauxin. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Hi there,

If you have an AUX port most likely the the rnse is not factory fitted and has been retro fitted.

You may be able to get it to work if the aux is wired into the rnse but generally the AMI unit has a cable which allows the aux to function will try and get a pic later as I wanted the aux port to work but it was only later it was identifed that with ami there is a cable.

That is a MK2 RNS-e so if your car is 08 it has defo been retrofitted. There are several things you need to do to get the Aux to work. I did catalog all the necessary information somewhere. I'll see if i can find it when i get home. Its easy enough to do yourself though. PM me if you need a hand.

Ok, thank you. The help is appreciated.

I was curious about the thing on the left of the RNS-e, is it a phone holder?

I did just buy some genuine audi removal keys for the RNS-e and just got them a few hours ago. Tested them out and they worked fine, looking at the back there looks like 1 cable isn't connected. I'll do it again tomorrow and take a picture.

Tell take signs are the console buttons, they're pre 09 so it has been retrofitted & the person hasn't converted the wiring across potentially.

Just remove the rns & check for the 32 pin connector that plugs in to the top left socket when looking at rear of unit, if it isn't there, then that's your answer.

Even when fitting an rns to a car with aux & aux no longer needed, they should disconnect the auxin wiring from the quadlock connectors.

If you want it to function then you'll need to buy the 32 pin connector & search the forum for the pinouts, its been catalogued already so no point repeating over again.

If units stuck on auxin & wont change to nav etc, then do a reset by holding radio & setup button until the screen goes dark & unit power resets, this can take 30 seconds sometimes.

Yes that's a factory phone kit & it probably has BT, so do a search with your phone for audi uhv.

If it doesnt have ami in glovebox & you want to stream from an apple device to show track, artist & album data, we can supply/fit the ami system for you.

Took the RNS-e out again to check the back of it and took some photos.

IMG 1266

IMG 1278

IMG 1273

Yep as NHN says, you've not got the 32pin plug that the aux goes in to. You'll need to purchase it and rewire accordingly.

Last edited:
I would have a good search around behind the nav unit and the climate unit, as if the unit is code and the socket is fitted then it's a fair bet the plug is there, and from looking at your pictures it looks like someone has been hacking around with the wiring harness, there is no good reason why there is a lose cable and all the electricians tape on the on the harness. What has been fitted to the car?

I'll have another look soon. As far as I know, nothing else has been fitted to the car. There's nothing installed in the glovebox, might be that he took something out before selling it. Maybe the bose sound system was added afterwards? What does the white wire that is not connected do?

Does anyone know where to get the 32pin plug? Searching google for 1J0 972 977 G has given me places to buy it from america.

Yes mate, that is the correct part number, order straight from your dealers.

Yep that's the one. £5.89 inc vat.

I'll have another look soon. As far as I know, nothing else has been fitted to the car. There's nothing installed in the glovebox, might be that he took something out before selling it. Maybe the bose sound system was added afterwards? What does the white wire that is not connected do?

I would need a better picture on the blue connector to see which pins are going where. From the looks of things someone has fitted an aftermarket BT system as the yellow wire is going to pin 11 on the D connector which is the TEL-MUTE wire. The yellow, blue, red & 2 black cable as shown in picture 1 are all 3rd party wiring, Audi don't use the shiny black electrical tape on cars wiring harness. I would find out there those cables go, you could have live wires just dangling around which could short out and cause problems. I've seen it before people just cutting the wires to remove their equipment before they hand the car back.

Just ordered the 32 pin connector and took some more photos. Some are a bit random but might help. I looked around at the back and found a wire that seemed unused with that wire lock thingie on it while still being wrapped round. There's also that wire that looks like it has a brown copper like cover at the end of it.

IMG 1285

IMG 1286

IMG 1287

IMG 1288

IMG 1289

IMG 1290

IMG 1291

IMG 1292

IMG 1295

IMG 1297

IMG 1298

IMG 1283

From the pictures it looks like the nav has been retrofitted, the coil of wire looks the standard hockey puck antenna cable that goes to the blue GPS connector on the back of the nav. So you do have the wiring for the AUX in but the muppet who fitted the nav has done a poor job. The only wire going into B connector on the nav is the Bose wire the other 2 wires along with the the lose wire are for the aux-in.

So the white wire and which other 2 wires? Where do they need to do be inserted?

It's difficult to tell on the picture, but the wire going into pin 7 on the B connector (Bose) should be the only wire going into that B connector the other 2 wires are for aux-in, which is the 32pin plug you need to buy, your going to have to either extend the wires or cut the harness tape back until you have enough length on the three wires so they can reach the 32pin connector.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yaza01
Is the B connector the blue one? I'm still a bit confused since there is green, yellow and brown wires in the blue connector with the white wire out.

I connected the aux-in socket on mine to my retrofitted RNS-E using Marc Quinlivan's site as already linked by pz1982:

Hi. Is it possible that the rnse was not fitted from factory and the wiring has not been swapped over to get the auxiliary port to work? Please read this link rnseauxin - Audi Retrofit. Hope this helps :)

Worked perfectly!

Reactions: pz1982
So since I already have the aux option on the RNS-e, I'm guessing I skip step one.

He said the white wire was left, red wire was right and yellow earth, does that mean the green wire is the bose wire and I should keep it in the blue connector? I don't have a red wire, so is the brown wire aux-right? Will I need a headphone wire?

So since I already have the aux option on the RNS-e, I'm guessing I skip step one.

He said the white wire was left, red wire was right and yellow earth, does that mean the green wire is the bose wire and I should keep it in the blue connector? I don't have a red wire, so is the brown wire aux-right? Will I need a headphone wire?

It's been a long time (5+ years) since I did mine but I seem to remember that if the original head unit had a quad lock you needed an adaptop to connect to the RNS-E. If that's the case then you need to move the aux-in connectors from the original cable and move them to the multimedia adaptor.

I thought the 32 pin connector was the multimedia adaptor. Is there a video or any other pictures for doing this?

I also found that is something connected to my RNS-e, no idea what it is. I thought it was something to do with bluetooth at first but my phone can't find any bluetooth source. Sorry for the blurry photo, was in a bit of a rush and thought it was a quick job.

IMG 1299

I thought the 32 pin connector was the multimedia adaptor. Is there a video or any other pictures for doing this?

I also found that is something connected to my RNS-e, no idea what it is. I thought it was something to do with bluetooth at first but my phone can't find any bluetooth source. Sorry for the blurry photo, was in a bit of a rush and thought it was a quick job.

View attachment 26955

Not sure what that is!

Here's the quadlock connector used on other headunits:

Audi5

The 32 pin one with the pink bit is the multimedia connector yeah.

I just got the 32 pin one with the pink bit today for £5.95 from local audi dealership.

Thats the quadlock on my RNS-e. I searched for instructions and found out from here that you have to take out the B1, B3 and B7 wires from the blue connector then move them to 22, 21 and 06 positions in the 32 pin connector.

DIY: Concert 3 to RNS-E Retrofit - 2012 Audi A3 - Audi Forum - Audi Forums for the A4, S4, TT, A3, A6 and more!

Looking around, the black box seems similar to this. I don't have that ipod/iphone cable though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you guys help me taking the wires out of the connector? I see the at the end theres a flap stopping you from just pulling the wire out of the connector. I pushed it down with a paperclip and the wires comes half way out then the flap pops back up at the next gap. Tried pushing down for like 10 minutes but it wouldn't come out. You can see it with this green wire.

IMG 1303

I'm also a bit confused about which wire is the BOSE one. The website tells me to take out the B1, B3 and B7 wires but the B7 wire is the Bose pin according to the diagram. Does that mean the white wire that is not connecting is one of the aux cables?

I also took some pictures of the black box, looks like there might be an aux cable in there but no idea where it goes to.

IMG 1302

IMG 1301

Last edited:
The box is a strange one, is there something tucked away in the glovebox? Perhaps it's a bluetooth unit or something?

To remove the pins from a connector you have to push a pin down from the opposite end, that releases the spring part so you can pull the wire out.

Yeah that means the white wire is an aux wire, no idea if its the left, right or ground though. So I just need to take the green and yellow wires out and put them in the 32 pin connector, as well as the white wire. I guess I will have to use trial and error to see which wire is which.

I was using a paperclip to push the clip down and it works for the first gap but it pops back up for the second gap. I'll try a needle, its probably thin enough to get through the second gap.

I can't seem to find the bluetooth source on my phone. Maybe its been disconnected.

Bluetooth radio could have been disabled on the module, you need to get the car scanned using vcds to see if the module is still there.

Just thought I would conclude this thread. I was busy for a week or so but finally did it yesterday. I didn't end up extending any wires, pretty easy job. I just cut some of the wire harness off so the wires could move more and left some room for flexibility. Works well now. Thanks for your help guys.

I've been trying to code my aux onto the rnse I followed the guide but it doesn't seem to be working could this be because the software on the rnse is not up to date? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394564011483713