2.0T Revo'd Q'S...

DaveS3Turbo

Sepang Blue S3
Reaction score
Hi All,

How many of you have had your chipped and been into audi, coud they tell?

Did you tell your insruance?

What MPG do you get. I get around 25 now on average with mixed driving.

Should I have it done before I get this steering rack sorted out?

DM

If you go REVO and get the SPS switch as well you can turn the new map off for dealer visits - and it is invisible..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
and it is invisible..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's arguable - if someone was looking they'd know!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and it is invisible..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's arguable - if someone was looking they'd know!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a standard dealership that's for sure!

I was told recently that many dealerships now have a small device like the switch from Revo or the AMD one click,which when they plug in tells them that the car has been done.

Also if the factory has issued an ECU software upgrade, when the delaership try to flash it on it won't work.

Both of these scenarios are rumour,but from what I consider a good source.

Anyone else heard these?

Std dealership = all in the UK.

VAG are putting in extra checks to their ecus (which is why it took Revo a long time to sort the switchable code), burn counters, additional checksums etc. But when the code is applied the burn counter and checksums remain the same.

I can't comment on other companies MED9 & EDC16 upgrades, as I don't know how they do it.

Mines been in for a service and nowt was said, its running an OCT/Forge map on it though... not Revo.

Most dealers don't even seem to care.. They know people remap their cars and they also know how reliable they are after doing so.

A dealer will easily be able to tell if the cars been chipped, no fancy electrical equipment required either- a test drive will do the job!

When I was looking for my A3 a salesman from Glasgow Audi called and said they had the model I was looking for in and listed as one of the 'features' the fact that it had been superchipped.

Sounded like an endorsment to me so I can't see why they would have a problem. It was still under 2 years warranty too, despite the chip.

I have some similar worries also.

I have a leased car and want to be able to REVO it but get the map back to standard when i hand it back. Is this possible or will there always be traces of a map when it is done?

The insurance thing is not a problem. I spoke with Direct Line and it seems for every extra 10% in BHP they charge about 10% extra on your premium.

But the dealer thing does worry me, if the dealer is not happy with a mapped car can they refuse warranty work on it? I suppose during a service they wont care as your handing cash over anyway, but if they see the map and flag it then the next time the car needs warranty work could they refuse?

Has this ever happened to anyone?

[ QUOTE ]
I have some similar worries also.

I have a leased car and want to be able to REVO it but get the map back to standard when I hand it back. Is this possible or will there always be traces of a map when it is done?........

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a lease car too - Revo and the SPS device to switch the map back to standard seemed like the way to go.

The remap will increase tyre wear a little /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and given that the leasing company will have calculated their monthly charge on a std cars appetite for consumables they really wouldn't be the happiest of bunnies if they found out.

What seems to make the Revo map special is that they have found spare space on the ECU that isn't used by the VAG software code (or even looked at by the dealer diagnostic tools) to locate the additional map table data. Hence being able to have the std map and Revo's stage 1&2 installed concurrently.

Given that an absolutely miniscule percentage (I'd bet its a tiny fraction of 1%) of the total number of VAG vehicles registered every year are likely to be remapped and of those the number that suffer some sort of mechanical failure directly attributable to the new software would be even less - who could justify the expenditure and trouble to look?

The Revo map data itself is generic - i.e. it doesn’t contain a label say supplied to Mr Smith on the 1st of January to vehicle xxxxx. So subsequent hassle is exceedingly unlikely.

The only really stupid thing to do would be to leave the remap switched on when you take the vehicle in for service at a dealer.....they would be quite within their rights to become awkward about it......

One thing I haven't heard mentioned here and I have noticed on mine is the variable service indicator when "chipped".
I suppose it comes as no shock really, but if you do use the car quite hard after being chipped, it certainly knocks loads of miles/days off the service indicator in one go, I guess it's just doing it's job, but it must be some indication to the garage when you book the car in with only 8-9000 miles indicated?

I used to drive a Polo 1.9 Tdi 100 bhp with the Revo remap and it made the car much better. Not only smoother power delivery but better mpg, and soooo much quicker!! With the sps unit you can switch it on/off as you like and never ever had and questions about it when serviced at main dealer.

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I haven't heard mentioned here and I have noticed on mine is the variable service indicator when "chipped".
I suppose it comes as no shock really, but if you do use the car quite hard after being chipped, it certainly knocks loads of miles/days off the service indicator in one go, I guess it's just doing it's job, but it must be some indication to the garage when you book the car in with only 8-9000 miles indicated?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine still thinks the next service is at 18,000.....life is mostly spent on the motorway though and long runs/constant engine speed is good for low engine wear.

Its been a while since I've posted so Hi to everyone.

My 150PD was remapped and not switchable as superchipped, service intervals didnt alter and never heard any comments from the tech guys when servicing was carried out, unless they regularly drive the same model back to back I doubt they would discover the map on a routine test drive. I think a lot of it depends on the model for example if its a 150PD or a 2.0T I think they expect it to be quick, probably likewse with the 2.0tdi - by the way i mapped that one and sold it to an Audi dealer who also said nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I've no doubt any map can be picked up if they look hard enough but my experience so far has been that they don't go looking. My GTI is about to have its steering rack replaced under warranty due to the common creaking sound, a road test was carried out but nothing was said about the extra performance my car has over standard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My GTI is about to have its steering rack replaced under warranty due to the common creaking sound,

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooooo, VAG car, steering rack, creaky. I think I've heard this story before.

gee thanks mike p!!
guess i wont be selling it on this forum then?

I dont think its so much mullering it, its the type of journeys. Mine wanted its first service at 8500 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I only do short journeys too and from work with the occasional long run but never rev it hard until its warmed up.