Hypothetical question: A3 2.0 TDi -> S4

dorgan

Reaction score
A change in my current situation will see me going from driving 200km per day, down to around 25km per day.

Got me thinking of going to a petrol car the next time, except I'd miss all that lovely torque /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have and A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi as a lease car right now. Would the S4 cost too much to run as a private car compared to the A3? That's costing around 575 euro per month which covers everything like insurance, tyres and servicing.

So my hypothetical question is, what difference in running costs could I expect to see if I were to go for a 2004 S4 in say a year or 2? Bare in mind that I currently have a diesel fuel card right now, so I could more than likely switch this over to a petrol car (not telling the company about the S4 naturally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Just throwing it out there to get your thoughts on such a move. I'm 30 years old if that makes a difference.

Cheers.

The S4 will eat tyres, I'm assuming your thinking about the 4.2v8, 2 friends run them and both of them go through tyres like they are going out of fashion. But I did only get <13K out of the fronts on the audi so perhaps it's not that bad.

Insurance will be considerabley higher, fuel will be about twice as much as you use now, I can't comment on the sevicing but my r32 first service was about 25% more than the audi's. So I can only assume that the S4 will be a chunk more to serivice.

****** nice cars though.

J.

But if you're going from doing >200km a day in the A3 to doing ~25km a day in the S4 your day to day running cost would be less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Harwoods have got a nice one in at the moment that I might go and test drive...
It's in my colour too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

I looked at upgrading ny 1.8t Cab to an S4 Cab about this time last year.

I had the 1.8 Cab on Audi's Lease purchase scheme and wanted to do the same with the S4.

The Audi lease rate (it was a 12 month old ex demo) was awful owing to the fact that they depreciate at a really scary rate.

When I looked at it more closely it seemed that the projected 3 year value was roughly the same as the 3.0 Cab which started off with a list price of around £10k less.

When you bear in mind that the Cabrios are the best for holding their value of all the A4s it didn't stack up.

Fantastic car thought if the money isn't an issue to you!

Doh, all I read was 200km's a day and then stopped reading... In that case then you'll be fine.

Eeef,

Did you see the price discount already, goes to show how much they put on these things because even at £35K they are going to be making a decent profit.

A mate of mines just sold his 3 year old one with 60K on the clock for £22K... but it did have anew engine in it after driving through a puddle...

J.

Have you seen the spec on the new 3.2fsi/3.0tdi cabs? pretty good.

Includes colour DIS, cd sat nav, cd changer, ISOfix, electric front and rear windows, armrest, full size spare, all over and above the old standard spec

[ QUOTE ]
Have you seen the spec on the new 3.2fsi/3.0tdi cabs? pretty good.

Includes colour DIS, cd sat nav, cd changer, ISOfix, electric front and rear windows, armrest, full size spare, all over and above the old standard spec

[/ QUOTE ]

No, eef I haven't - the B7 is going to be quite a car. The 3.0tdi is an absolute beast of an engine - the same thing that endows the A6 Quattro with sportscar performance - all that torque would be very useful. The old 2.5tdi engine had an iron block and made the Cab very nose heavy - the 3.0tdi uses a magnesium alloy and is thus much lighter. Would be a case of the power and the glory!

I had the colour DIS in my Cab (had DVD Nav) and it was excellent - makes the all red one in the A3 seem a bit cheesey.

I only said goodbye to my Cab six months ago to take a company car and I have to say whizzing down the M40 this morning in bright sunshine I saw several Cabs - and the mind did mull over having another one. The really strong residuals make them very affordable.........