Considering buying a TFSI S-Line

J400uk

Reaction score
Hi All, So I've been registered on here for a while but haven't really posted much. I'm considering venturing into 8P ownership and just after some advice. I've had various VW/ SEATs in the past and have the occasional use of an A1 1.2 TFSI. My current main car is a Leon 1.4 TSI 125 which I find a bit slow and boring, so want to move up to at least the 1.8 TFSI or better still the 2.0 TFSI. I don't like diesels so it will have to be a petrol.

I found these two on Autotrader and just wondered what the opinion on here would be:

Audi A3 1.8 TFSI S Line 3dr - Seems cheap and nice spec but it has the wrong alloys for its year?

Audi A3 2.0 TFSI S Line 3dr S Tronic - This would be my current preference, but can anyone confirm whether it has the EA113 or EA888 engine? I've heard the latter is suffering from timing chain issues so would rather avoid.

I'd be looking to retrofit RNS-E Nav and presume this isn't too dissimilar from fitting say an RNS 510 to a VW which I've done in the past.

Also a bit random but what year did they introduce the newer 'banana' style flip key with the chrome strip? Some seem to have it and some don't.

Hi mate,

If you're considering the 1.8T or 2.0T I'd recommend adding quattro to your list of "must haves" & DSG as well if possible. I considered the 1.8 myself, but knew I would get used to it and want more power! I'm glad I eventually decided on the 2.0T DSG as it's easy to drive slow, as well as being very quick with a map - mine's just missing quattro, sadly. :(

Engine designations & Specs are >Here!< hopefully the link will drop you straight at the Petrol Engine of the correct year, but if not, just scroll to the right year range.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Hi mate would defo get a 2.0T but quattro im 50/50 on, my mate has 2wd and drives just as good as my quattro bar he gets over 30mpg where as im geting 27mpg on a good day lol.

Im my opinion if you do alot of driving go 2wd otherwise you will be throwing £££ on fuel in a quattro.

I have had my 2010 TFSI for about 5 months, s-line, quattro, s-tronic, remapped.......I have not looked back once lol its easy and effortless to drive oh and fun, but don't buy this type of car if your worried about mpg, I don't look or care, if I did I would have bought a diesel punto lol

Reactions: 45bvtc
Thanks, I think Quattro will be out of budget though. I originally started looking at £5k Mk5 Golf GTIs and now I'm looking at A3s for nearly double that price haha. Mpg not too much of a concern as long as it will do 40 on a long run. Most my day to day driving is very short 2 mile runs through town where the Leon only gets late 20s anyway

My Mk5 GTi averaged 29mpg pottering around mixed roads, 36mpg easy looooong runs on Mways.
My 2009 Quattro S-tronic 28 & 35 respectively. So I doubt you'll achieve 40mpg in real life use!
Quattro shows its advantage on slippery wet roads plus standing starts.

Ok, any opinions on the specific 2 I've linked to in my post? Also can't find anywhere confirming for sure which 2.0 TFSI engine a 58 plate has

...Also can't find anywhere confirming for sure which 2.0 TFSI engine a 58 plate has
the 58 plate has the 2009 engine & it's in the link I posted @ #2, just scroll down.

CCZA 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) 280 N·m (207 lb·ft) @1700–5000 6.8s 2009–2013

Reactions: sliced
mine has the same engine & it's almost due its 5 year renewal - I think it's both chain & belt, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet. If that 58 plate you posted above hasn't already been done, it should be the first thing you do. Also it says Tax due 14\04\14 - tax always runs month end to month end! that might be a typo, but it's something to check out.

Ignore the 49.6 mpg figure for extra urban - the most you'll see driving like a granny on a motorway, downhill, with a following wind is around 45mpg, around town with gentle acceleration I've seen up to 37mpg, but more like 30 ish with regular town driving! early-mid 30's would be the overall average between towns.

Reactions: Jet2004uk