a warning to A3 owners!

IceHanger

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
If I thought my day couln't of got any worse (A&E with my little guy), the S3 got broken into last night, lost my work laptop from the boot and the Road angle but the RNSE is still there,
The is, not a mark on it, the thiefing scumbags managed to get round the alarm system and pop the doors, is was definatly locked and 4 other VW based cars broken into last night in the same method. The TT was still secure.

any idea wher to get removal tools for the RNSE, as i'm going to pop it out for a few weeks as I think they'll be back for it

(apologies for bad spelling - still fuming!!)

Theiving bar stewards! Surprised they didn't take the RNSE though as that's what most theives go for when they break in.

I got some keys eBay last week. 2 sets for under £1.50 delivered.

Some just go for items that are quick and easy to sell on. Maybe more of an opportunity theft for quick items . keys I got some off eBay.
good idea removing for a few weeks though.
Sorry to hear that's happened, hope your little one is on too

Bad news that, not what you want happening.
I work in IT and the amount of users who have their laptops stolen from there boot is ridiculous.
The police have informed us that there are two main ways theives know you have a laptop in the boot.

1) They see you put it in the boot, or someone see's you put in the boot and they pass on the information.
2) If your laptop has bluetooth and it is enabled even whilst the laptop is in sleep or hiberation the bluetooth signal can be picked by scanning apps (easily available on smart phones).

Reactions: davc
i wouldnt bother to remove
if they DO come back whats saying they wont be back a few weeks after its refitted ?

Reactions: s3_trev
I'd be interested to know how they have entered the car without setting the alarm off. Mines even set so that if the doors where opened with my key the alarm would trigger if they were not put in the ignition within a set time.

Are you sure it was locked? Was it locked still when u found it had been broken into? I'd say for the type of theft it's been some scum bags tryin handles and its coincidence they were all vag. If the thieves had this method of getting in the car it wouldn't of been there as they could probably of had it away

As above, if the scum have paid out for the kinda tools to allow access with no alarms, they could probably take the car away too. I removed the immo on an S3 last night, 2011 model, was an ecu out on the bench and about 10 mins to do it. This was a transplant for a mk1 golf, and the vin number was checked prior to removal for stolen markers.

Cheers Guys, it looks like mine wasn't the only one hit, 5 cars on the estate, nearby village also hit.
From what the police have told me it's a frequency transmitter that blast the car with various codes and one will pop the car ( i thought there was rolling codes these days but hey). Its a gang apparently
It was only chance I left the laptop there, never left it before so more likely sods law, glove box and all the cubby holes emptied across the car, doors left open etc. It is scary that the alarm didn't sound, but the TT which i would of thought would be equally a good target gets left and was still locked this morning (same alarm coding system I thought)

Yea my little guy is ok thankfully, decided to fall the whole length of the stairs and bounce off the bottom stair gate (bad daddy forgot to shut the top one as thought mummy was doing it), so we didn't get back from A&E till gone midnight, I know full well I locked it as it went beep lol, think i'm getting VCDS out to make it go Beep beep on unlock too...if I can get a laptop hahahah

Worse thing is my RS5 usb stick was in my bag...gutted :-(

Reactions: Artimus
Why the hell do they make such tools available, even if they're expensive.

It's like locking wheel nut removal keys, anyone can buy them. It makes it pointless having locking wheel nuts on a car, anyone could still come along and have ur wheels it'd just take them a little longer.

Anyhow, sorry to hear it. If it makes it any easier, at least you and your family are ok. Theres far worse that have happened to s3 owners, be grateful for that much

Sorry to hear about this. It's strange that your TT wasn't touched. Was it parked up for a long period of time?

What I'm getting at is, it's possible that the scumbags were nearby when you arrived home (I assume it was dark) and used a code jammer to prevent the car being locked by the remote when you pressed it?

How is this done??

In VCDS there's something along the lines of 'key operation start thatcham' I have never tried it to see if it works but I will check today and try and get a screen shot of the VCDS screen i'm on about.

Reactions: IceHanger
A device like this is available. But if 5cars were hit it's unlikely somebody was able to jam all 5 without looking dodgy.

In VCDS there's something along the lines of 'key operation start thatcham' I have never tried it to see if it works but I will check today and try and get a screen shot of the VCDS screen i'm on about.

Here is the screen grab of the correct screen: select the one in red, it worked for me, I unlocked the car with the key and after about 10 seconds the alarm went off.

Attachments

• alarm key.jpg
    alarm key.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 449
Here is the screen grab of the correct screen: select the one in red, it worked for me, I unlocked the car with the key and after about 10 seconds the alarm went off.

Ok cool thanks but this seems to only work if the door is opened with the key? But doesnt this device the criminals use perform the same way as a key fob? Rendering this security measure useless in other words.

That's what I said, if opened with my key.
I know it's not going to stop someone breaking in I was stating that if it's got a function as clever as this I don't understand how they can gain access as easily as mentioned.

That's what I said, if opened with my key.
I know it's not going to stop someone breaking in I was stating that if it's got a function as clever as this I don't understand how they can gain access as easily as mentioned.

Did you read IceHangers second post? In it he explains how.

It seems the only defence is secure parking & "beep on unlock". :(

I did read it I just don't believe it. You seriously think they buy a magic device that unlocks all vag cars but not his TT

Nobody knows whether the TT was unlocked or not! The cars have passive re-locking when you unlock with the remote, but don't open a door for so many seconds... Just in case we accidentally blip the remote in our pocket, etc.

Like mentioned before nearly all break ins to A3's in the forum are for the RNSE which this had fitted! If they went to the trouble of getting a device to unlock cars I'd say they are going to plan it and strip the interior of every car they open

Nobody knows whether the TT was unlocked or not! The cars have passive re-locking when you unlock with the remote, but don't open a door for so many seconds... Just in case we accidentally blip the remote in our pocket, etc.

If they did open it they would of at least looked in so it won't of re-locked

It seems the states have this sort of thing too:

Thieves Are Using “Mystery Gadgets” To Electronically Unlock Cars And Steal What Is Inside

Just reading some of the posts, I'm as shocked as the next why the TT wasn't touched and remained locked, Eventhing that could of been opened in the S3 was opened even the ashtry, door pockets emptied so with the TT being locked and eveything shut still i'd say they didn't or couln't get in.
The other vehciles on the estate hit were a Tiguin, Range Rover Evoque and a Discovery III, Not found the 4th altgough I have been told there were more now, all I can think of is the TT must of been less effceted by the device or they decided not to try it

S3 re size

Spoke to the police this afternoon as released a few other things in the car went (it must be kids thats turns your brain to mush lol)

It looks like Redditch was hit last night, so if your in the West Mids be vigilent, these b*stards are doing a tour:(

Spoke to the police this afternoon as released a few other things in the car went (it must be kids thats turns your brain to mush lol)

It looks like Redditch was hit last night, so if your in the West Mids be vigilent, these b*stards are doing a tour:(

Maybe naivety but..

i thought the key had to have been paired with rhe car before it could unlock the car? Surely this would require the same?

Scary stuff if they can do that. That video was very interesting how they were opening the cars. Don't leave valuables in your car is they key I suppose, not good if they take the RNSE though

A friend of mines Audi A4 was taken from his drive in Acocks green on Saturday night, no noise, the car alarm never went off and there was no smashed glass. Seems as though it's getting worse.