• 1 Post By kanecullen89
  • 1 Post By Mr_Sixx
  • 1 Post By S3Alex
  • 1 Post By S3Alex

Thread: Coming back to an S3

3rd Gear

Status

Coming back to an S3

Well, after owning a 2002 S3 8L for 2 years, the the last 7 years have seen me in a B6 S4, which I've just sold.
    I'm now looking to get back in to S3 ownership with a sportback, complete with DSG.

I've got my eye on one, and have plans to pick it up next Friday.

I'm really looking forward to driving it and hope the gearbox is as good as everyone says it is.
    Revo will be my first modification, I loved it on the previous S3 I had 9 years ago, should be even more fun with the 2.0 litre lump.
    Jonse and Revo Steve-W like this.
    2011 S3 Sportback S-tronic Black Edition - Revo stage 1 - Milltek Non Res Catback
    2003 S4 V8 Saloon Manual Milltek Cat Back - Sold

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Hi Matt your going to love it the s3 8p

Rarely neutral

Status
    Wait till you see what you can do with the current car and engine.
    You'll enjoy it a lot more.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Wait till you see what you can do with the current car and engine.
    You'll enjoy it a lot more.
    Yep, I've got a feeling it could start to get expensive....
    First plan in the next month is to get the cam follower replaced, check for oil usage (do you guys get through much?) and then get a Revo stage 1 once I'm happy everything is running as it should be.

My only other short term plan would be the Eibach springs for the front to drop the arch gap a little. (good idea, bad idea? I see a few have it done here, but don't want to ruin the handling for the sake of a look)

6 months on, might be tempted with stage2+
    Revo Steve-W likes this.
    2011 S3 Sportback S-tronic Black Edition - Revo stage 1 - Milltek Non Res Catback

Rarely neutral

Status
    Most S3s don't use much oil and mine doesn't but there are a few that do and that's where the rumour begins.

The best solution for suspension is a good coilover setup such as kW or Bilstein.
    Not cheap to begin with but a very good result.

Stg2+ is the best overall value for performance.

3rd Gear

Status
    Cheers Alex
    Plan is to run an extended warranty for the first month, (as it is coming up to 3yrs old) and keep an eye on oil usage. If its horrendous, I'll get it investigated by Audi.
    After I'm happy the usage is as it should be, I'll cancel the warranty (you can with the monthly payments option) and then set about improving the performance.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Revo Steve-W on Facebook
    Looking forward to watching your progress Matt

Go Play....
    MattS3 likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Another recommendation for REVO here. Just last night in fact I had the REVO induction kit (ceramic) fitted to my s3, and also picked up an SPS.
    MattS3 and Revo Steve-W like this.

Audi S3 8P3 / REVO Stage 1 / REVO Ceramic Intake / Revo PCV Revamp / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs / Philips Diamond Vision 5000k Fog Light Bulbs /
    KW V3 Coilovers / Team HEKO Wind Deflectors / Bridgestone Potenza S001 92Y Tyres / Complete LED Bulb Conversion (int' + ext') / Ashtray Delete /
    TTS Engine Cover / Alpine 928r Multimedia Station (8in screen) with integrated Bluetooth, Sat Nav etc / Ross-Tech VCDS Owner.

Rarely neutral

Status
    I should have said also...

Revo from Stg1 to Stg4 here

3rd Gear

Status
    Stage 4. Jesus, that must be a flying machine!
    S3Alex likes this.

RPB
    1st Gear

Status
    Did someone mention oil? LOL.
    Had mine from new. Few months then Shark Stage 1.
    I'm using like 0.2 litres per approx 1200 miles or so. Has gone longer than that but not shorter.
    2011 61 plate S3 SB BE DSG - Shark Stage 1 + DSG

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RPB View Post
    Did someone mention oil? LOL.
    Had mine from new. Few months then Shark Stage 1.
    I'm using like 0.2 litres per approx 1200 miles or so. Has gone longer than that but not shorter.
    That's not bad to be fair.

Some really do like a drink but most are pretty good.
    I would say mine is about half that but it gets its oil changed twice a year anyway.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MattS3 View Post
    Stage 4. Jesus, that must be a flying machine!
    It goes well!

Lots more to come as I like having a few projects each year then getting AMDTuning to make them work.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quick question - DSG in this car, I'm convinced its a good option.
    Never had one before, but quite fancy it after what everyone says about it (well, most people).

Am I being too blinkered, or are the serious issues with box in the S3 very few and far between?

1st Gear

Status
    DSG gets good reviews. Can be a risk privately as they are not cheap should they go wrong. Buying from a dealership with warranty will reduce this somewhat. If you plan on modding they are good for stage 2+ power much above that i think they may need new clutch packs.
    Car: Phantom Black 8P '56 S3 2.0 TFSI | RNS-E | Adaptive Bi-Xenons | Two-Tone Black/White Leather Seats | Electric Folding Mirrors | Cruise Control | Parking Sensors
    Current Mods: Revo Intake | GFB DV+ | Revo Stage 1 | Defi Racer Boost Gauge in Osir Vent Mount
    Mods Planned: H&R ARB's | Whiteline ALK | Bilstein B14 Coilovers | BCS Powervalve Exhaust | Loba HPFP | Revo Stage 2+ | Sachs Clutch

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3_Mat View Post
    DSG gets good reviews. Can be a risk privately as they are not cheap should they go wrong. Buying from a dealership with warranty will reduce this somewhat. If you plan on modding they are good for stage 2+ power much above that i think they may need new clutch packs.
    You can get away with software up to around 400lbs but after that you need new packs from either HGP or SSP.

Not cheap.

3rd Gear

Status
    I doubt very much I'll go past stage 1 to be honest. (by which time the warranty will be irrelevant as its modified from standard)

I think I'll be brave and just go DSG and try not to worry about it. There does seem to be other avenues to get mechatronics repaired now as well, hopefully i'll not require it.

(i always had to run the risk of clutch £1,500 and timing chain issues, £2.5k+ with the S4, so no change here!)

Rarely neutral

Status
    The DSG is pretty robust overall and strong enough for anything below a big turbo setup.

Enjoy!

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Dave-S3's Instagram Channel
    DSG is ace plus it makes the car more desirable come resale! Theres not thattt many S3's about with the DSG box. I have one though and love it!
    S3Alex likes this.
    2009 S3 S-Tronic, Ice Silver, Black Edition - 280 BHP & 296 Ftlb

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-S3 View Post
    DSG is ace plus it makes the car more desirable come resale! Theres not thattt many S3's about with the DSG box. I have one though and love it!
    Mines manual as well.

A bit easier on the practicalities for a BT as it turned out but if I had the opportunity now I'd have the DSG.

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Dave-S3's Instagram Channel
    I would be interested to see how the DSG responds once its mapped, theres only one or two annoying things really from stock and thats the fact its not quite as fast shifting as you would expect given the sporty F1 paddles on the steering wheel, i mean its fast very fast but its not nano second fast lol.

Secondly the fact it kicks down when you push the pedal all the way to the floor (obviously past the kick down switch) when its in "Manual" mode. Manual should mean full manual but the map would sort that! However the fact it down changes when you come to a halt in manual mode is handy (or lazy)
    2009 S3 S-Tronic, Ice Silver, Black Edition - 280 BHP & 296 Ftlb

3rd Gear

Status
    Well the car is bought!
    Picked it up just after lunchtime, by the time paperwork was sorted, it was getting on for 3pm.
    Had a wet 80 mile drive home, but was great to start getting accustomed to the car. It feels way quicker than the previous 8l I had remapped 8 years ago, but should have similar figures.
    The gearbox is hilarious, sport mode is for serious fun that's for sure.

Gave it a wash after dinner and it's now tucked in the garage.

First impressions.....much more nimble than my S4 was, great overtaking performance at 50-60mph, and really picks up nicely.
    It even sounds pretty fruity in sport mode, I guess it has a valve in the backbox somewhere?
    I think I'm going to enjoy this

(I also need to update my profile pic and sig)
    S3Alex likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Well the car is bought!
    Picked it up just after lunchtime, by the time paperwork was sorted, it was getting on for 3pm.
    Had a wet 80 mile drive home, but was great to start getting accustomed to the car. It feels way quicker than the previous 8l I had remapped 8 years ago, but should have similar figures.
    The gearbox is hilarious, sport mode is for serious fun that's for sure.

Gave it a wash after dinner and it's now tucked in the garage.

First impressions.....much more nimble than my S4 was, great overtaking performance at 50-60mph, and really picks up nicely.
    It even sounds pretty fruity in sport mode, I guess it has a valve in the backbox somewhere?
    I think I'm going to enjoy this

(I also need to update my profile pic and sig)
    No valve just you using more revs I have DSG and always use Manuel mode the only time I use D is on the motorway or in traffic. Glad you are enjoying it because they are great cars. Just one thing you have to do and that's upload some
    New Car
    Audi S3 Sprint Blue Oscarli Stage 2+
    Old Cars

Audi TTRS 2010 Phantom Black Oscarli Stage 1
    Audi S3 2009 Facelift Ibis White (Recaro Buckets)
    Audi S3 2009 Pre-Facelift Solar Orange Oscarli Stage 2
    Audi A1 185 2011 White

1st Gear

Status
    if you want a cheap handling mod, replace the anti roll bars, massive difference its like a different car. i also happen to be selling some cheap

3rd Gear

Status
    A few pictures from the weekend.
    Only issue so far is a broken bulb in one side of the rear passenger seat roof light. Once I've figured how to remove it, I'll get it replaced.
    I'm still genuinely surprised at how rapid these cars are, the DSG box is a revelation.
    I've already paid for the remap, so it's going on within the next 7 to 10 days but I reckon I could have managed without it quite happily. (For awhile any way!).

My only minor grip is the lack of storage, so am hoping to get some rear seat storage net/seat backs to replace the current backs and then see if a credit card/coin tray can be fitted. Looking through the search function would suggest the 10/11 cars cannot get it fitted due to a design change or similar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MattS3; 2nd February 2014 at 18:39.
    Veneeringman, Dave-S3 and Alex_007 like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    A stunning car enjoy it.
    MattS3 likes this.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather /

1st Gear

Status
    Lovely looking car!
    MattS3 likes this.

Status
    You need some genuine 19" RS3 rims on that along with that ARB ;-)

Lovely looking car, hope you enjoy it!
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

3rd Gear

Status
    The 19"s are a no go, cost of tyres is crippling.
    ARB sounds a good upgrade, the front is a nightmare to fit though from what I can make out?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 03 View Post
    if you want a cheap handling mod, replace the anti roll bars, massive difference its like a different car. i also happen to be selling some cheap
    PM me some info if you get chance please.
    Cheers

Status
    ARB sounds a good upgrade, the front is a nightmare to fit though from what I can make out?
    Shame, I could have done you an amazing deal, but I fully understand!

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

Stationary

Status
    very nice indeed!
    MattS3 likes this.
    2012 A3 Tdi 170 S Line Black Edition

Rarely neutral

Status
    Also,19's don't help ride quality or handling,if you're interested in either of those.

4th Gear

Status

Yes, here are the details of the flap in one of the tailpipes:

How to: S3 exhaust flap mod

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Also,19's don't help ride quality or handling,if you're interested in either of those.
    I lasted 2 months before I couldn't stand the 18's anymore. Everything in my head said no, but as there was no dish to the rim (I'm not really into flat faced alloys), and proportionately the alloy wheel diameter just looked way too small (rotors look smaller than they are) I couldn't resist going for the RS3 rotors. Transform the look of the car, how can 1" make all the difference ;-)

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    I lasted 2 months before I couldn't stand the 18's anymore. Everything in my head said no, but as there was no dish to the rim (I'm not really into flat faced alloys), and proportionately the alloy wheel diameter just looked way too small (rotors look smaller than they are) I couldn't resist going for the RS3 rotors. Transform the look of the car, how can 1" make all the difference ;-)
    I know from previous cars that it can make a substantial change but in the case of the S3 I have to say I'm following the advice from AMD and a few others.

I went a different route and stayed with 18" rims but wider to take 245 section tyres.

Or to put it another way handling and grip were the priorities.

3rd Gear

Status
    Popped my car on the rollers this weekend ( A local Pistonheads event) and was pleasantly surprised to get a better than expected power figure from just the Revo stage 1.
    I know RR's are never exceptionally accurate, but first run was 325bhp and second 324bhp.
    Torque was a little lower than expected around the 280 mark, but still pleased with the overall result.

I did think it felt pretty quick, so just backed up my thoughts really.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Popped my car on the rollers this weekend ( A local Pistonheads event) and was pleasantly surprised to get a better than expected power figure from just the Revo stage 1.
    I know RR's are never exceptionally accurate, but first run was 325bhp and second 324bhp.
    Torque was a little lower than expected around the 280 mark, but still pleased with the overall result.

I did think it felt pretty quick, so just backed up my thoughts really.
    Stg2+ would definitely sort out the torque issue....you know you want to!

3rd Gear

Status
    Ha ha....I might just go with a turbo back exhaust at some stage in the next 6 months.....I don't want anything too noisy though.

I don't really want intake or HPFP, I'm happy with the pace of it already, just would like a little more aggression from the exhaust.