Badger5Chris Nott
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By crunchie
  • 1 Post By KemiksiZ

Thread: Q: S3 Brake Upgrade Issue - Searched for 3 days!

3rd Gear

Status

Exclamation Q: S3 Brake Upgrade Issue - Searched for 3 days!

I'm begging for a few days in the forum bu no one hold my hand, except Jhonny
    Now I2m crawling the web, as much as I have time besides working, I took a great mile, now its where I'm:

My car is 1.6 FSI, 2006 (facelifted), my s3 brakces and carriers are from 2007 S3.
    I have the caliper right carriers BUT I do not have the f$cking hub?/axis holder/what the hell of its name! They said that my thing is small to mount new s3 caliper carriers. Check the picture please;

Now, what is the name of the marked thing & the part number for my Audi a3? And AS far as I investigated, asked & learned; my 'thnig' is not big enough to match the new caliper carriers below. This carriers have nowhere to mount on my current setup right now:

So at that point, what should I do?

Are they these ones? Org AUDI A3 8P Achsschenkel Radnabe Radlager vorne rechts | eBay
    Last edited by KemiksiZ; 23rd January 2014 at 12:28.

'' Wanna Trade Your Pre-facelift BRUSHED ALU interior trim with my Piano Black ones? '' PM me..

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Known commonly as a hub, although vag may have a fancy name for it, not the cheapest item afaik, its annoying as some fit & some don't.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks mate

As I learned; the 2.0T A3's have the correct one, hub, hell! But 1.6 fsi's have smaller. Any knowledge about that? Coz its almost imppossible to find an s3 hub hell in Turkey, so I'll chase 2.0T ones :s ?

And a correct part number will make me fly over the clouds! ) ? ?

Is this the one? Audi A3 8P VW Radnabe Achsschenkel Hinten rechts 1K0615612 | eBay
    Or that ?
    Audi S3 8P / Seat Leon 1P Cupra Radlagergehäuse vorne rechts Radnabe 3C0407254F | eBay
    Last edited by KemiksiZ; 23rd January 2014 at 12:38.

'' Wanna Trade Your Pre-facelift BRUSHED ALU interior trim with my Piano Black ones? '' PM me..

3rd Gear

Status
    Probably something to do with the 50mm and 55mm struts? Smaller struts the smaller the hub? And I assume yours has the 50mm struts?

3rd Gear

Status
    okay, new word 'strut', made me more confused! )

If its the suspension leg kinda thing, yes. Mine is thinner. (smaller is not the rgiht word for the struts I guess) My caliper carrier matching thing is small Could you check the ebay links Chris, are these what I'm looking for? Any idea?

I think this is it: AUDI A3 SPORTSBACK Radnabe vorn links - 1K0407255AA - Bj 2012 | eBay

???

3rd Gear

Status

I think this causes everything? The mechanic says, I need the hub which can accept 21mm Bolts. My current ones are smaller than 21mm. Can you confirm that?

3rd Gear

Status
    Yeah a "suspension leg" As for the eBay links I am not sure, but I'd imagine as long as they're the 55mm "suspension leg" hugs then that is what you're after, however, don't forget you'll need 55mm "suspension legs" if you're changing the hubs. Possibly the springs also (not sure).

There was a thread containing all the vehicles that had 50mm and 55mm struts, I think it was just the 1.6s that had the 50mm struts, but not sure, you'll have to do a search.

3rd Gear

Status
    Am I changing the hub, by reviewing my case?
    I guess I'm but, cant be sure :s And what is the correct hub part no? There are a lot of part no's came accress :s

Yes, I confirmed, 1.6fsi's has 50mm sturts instead of 55mm. Now there will be another thread what if we use 50mm struts with 55mm hub? so risky? I'll ask later )
    Last edited by KemiksiZ; 23rd January 2014 at 13:32.

6+1 Gears

Status
    OK!
    As I've told you on PM, in order to be able to install the S3 brakes you also need the right carriers. The ones for 312mm disks won't fit.
    Since your engine is the 1.6 one, you have even more trouble. Your current front carriers are built in the hub. You cannot replace them with the S3 ones.
    If you still want the big brakes (but I honestly don't know why, since the engine is not that powerful), you have to open your pockets, wallet, bank account wide.
    You need new front hubs, new struts, new springs (not sure about these though), carriers, maybe new bearings.
    For the hubs, you can look for ones from 2.0 TDI, 2.0 TFSI, 1.8 TFSI. Not sure but I think that also the cars with the 1.4 petrol engines also have the good hubs for you.
    1.6, 2.0 petrol and 1.9 TDI have the wrong kind of hub.
    When I say you can look for cars with those engines, I mean not only Audi A3 but also Golf 5/6, Skoda Octavia II and Seat Leon 1P. 2WD not 4WD.

Search on ebay or at the breakers, if there are any in Turkey.
    If/when you have the parts and you are ready for the upgrade, I would also recommend new brake lines.

Expensive and kinda useless upgrade for you IMHO.
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

3rd Gear

Status
    Yes, I'm all agreed and now a master ) about what should I do after now EXCEPT i think I have the rgiht carriers wtih bolted on the calipers, isnt it a carrier in the picture?

And what about re-drilling the current carrier bolts hugs, after welding it completely as no-hole at all? Is it so dangereous?

3rd Gear

Status
    ?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kemiksiz View Post
    And what about re-drilling the current carrier bolts hugs, after welding it completely as no-hole at all? Is it so dangereous?
    Tell me you're joking!! It's your brakes for goodness sake!!!!
    Do you not have MOT's in Turkey?
    Sounds highly dangerous to me.
    Its obvious they are not designed for your car.
    Why do you need 345mm brakes on a 1.6 anyway??
    kanecullen89 and sliced like this.
    Now:
    TTS, Leon Cupra R, MK2 Golf GTi 16v BB 3dr & MK4 Golf "GTi" 2.0 8v

Past:
    S3 8P3
    A3 2.0T
    S3 8L REVO
    306 Rallye
    Impreza STi8
    Leon Cupra R REVO
    S3 8L REVO
    Impreza T2000
    306 Rallye
    MK3 Golf GTi 8v
    & more in between

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
    Tell me you're joking!! It's your brakes for goodness sake!!!!
    Do you not have MOT's in Turkey?
    Sounds highly dangerous to me.
    Its obvious they are not designed for your car.
    Why do you need 345mm brakes on a 1.6 anyway??
    No, no, I wont do that, FOR SURE!
    Just read on the internet, some guy dhave done. And I just wondered about

Just cosmetic mate, 19 rims need some bigger inside

6+1 Gears

Status
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

4th Gear

Status
    As someone has said before, it will involve the whole hub/damper assembly.
    Possibly even the spring and even then your drive shafts might not fit?
    Sounds like a big headache to me. Is there no other route to go down? AP set-up etc?
    Now:
    TTS, Leon Cupra R, MK2 Golf GTi 16v BB 3dr & MK4 Golf "GTi" 2.0 8v

Past:
    S3 8P3
    A3 2.0T
    S3 8L REVO
    306 Rallye
    Impreza STi8
    Leon Cupra R REVO
    S3 8L REVO
    Impreza T2000
    306 Rallye
    MK3 Golf GTi 8v
    & more in between

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    Yea, with the tinny brake discs, right? Ewww, noway, thanks!

I'm going to buy new hub for sure as the first action. And I'll see what the hell I need mooore and moooore ITs going to be a pain in the arse for sure! :s

6+1 Gears

Status
    You like to torture yourself...
    You could also look for a bigger engine and gearbox. That would be a proper job!

3rd Gear

Status
    Dont bother mate, I have an S4 with an ADEQUATE big engine

A3 is my project car, exterior project for sure, 1 liter gas is 3$ here, so I need a daily drive

I'll pass on your Audi if it needs :P

6+1 Gears

Status
    I saw the prices of fuel in Istanbul when I was there last October. I don't understand though how come, despite the huge prices, there are soooooo many cars on the road. You can get anywhere faster by foot.

3rd Gear

Status
    I bought the HUB today, I'll post pictures if I wont be dead tomorrow :P )

I'm very excited about the result, i did not see it yet but the hub was a direct fit, they used an adaptor for the 50mm ==> 55mm hub, so its perfectly safe and fine.. So i did not have to change the suspension legs-struts, springs, axles or anything except the hub. I paid 60 GBP for the 2 used but very well condition hubs. I'm going to take back my hubs in order to use it if I sell the car in the future..

I'll see the result in a few hours, yay!
    crunchie likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    HAPPY ENDING!