A3 2.0 tdi engine problems? As bad as their made out to be?

DanN92

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum!

I am considering changing my current car which is a Cooper S to a 2007/2008 2.0 tdi, preferably an S line model

Have heard horror stories of many engine problems such as water pump, head gasket etc

Is this a regular occurrence? Don't want to buy one and down the line have to spend a fortune fixing it

Have also read up on the cylinder head cracking, but not as likely to happen in the later 2007/2008 models being the C engine code?

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
It depends on if you get the 170bhp or 140bhp spec. Generally speaking the 140bhp have fewer problem, had mine 9 months with no real engine problems.

The 170bhp are known to have issues with the DPF filter though.

Thanks folks...just reading horror stories on here and all over the internet makes me think are they as good of a car as first thought

I can't say on the newer cars, but I have a BKD with never ending issues, granted the newer engines may have fixed most issues.

I think the benefits of a diesel are over exaggerated, buying a diesel over your cooper S might not be as great a decision as you might think.

Just my 2c

CR spec engines are more refined had my 58 nearly 3 years no problems at all so find a face lift 08/58 onwards if possible.I've also not had any DPF problems but the early 170 PD spec can give you problems.

Thanks folks...just reading horror stories on here and all over the internet makes me think are they as good of a car as first thought

Forums are full of them, that's the idea of a forum to get help.Don't really see positive posts on forums lol

I didn't pay any attention to anybody when I bought mine, didn't even realise there where 140's & 170's!

I bought it because I liked it!

Since buying (3yrs ago) I've had... Battery... Recon gearbox... Clutch & flywheel... Lower ball joints... CV boots... 1 wheel bearing/ABS ring... Glow plugs... Temp sensor...

Still needs... New rear shocks... Cam belt needs to be changed (I have the kit just not done it yet :/ )... Prob more!!!

Bottom line is you get good and bad! You could get one that 6 months old and completely nackered or one that's ancient and won't give you many problems.

Mine will soon be all new parts at this rate but I know they have been done then!

Just to add though, as your original post I've not had any major issues with the engine it's self

54 plate 2.0TDi BKD, remapped to approx 180bhp & nearly 400nm torque & 126,000 miles on the clock :)