JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning

An Interesting question

As a follow on from the thread about recommending a car for a wife/girlfriend.

This is a question for those members of the forum who drive a car provided by their employer....

If you were not provided with a company car and had to purchase, insure and run a car from your own money, what do you think you would be currently driving?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status

Re: An Interesting question

I opted out of the company car scheme in order that I could buy the Audi. Their scheme was limited to just a few manufacturers and Audi wasn't one of them.

OK the company provide part of the expense but there was never going to be another choice of car.

If I had to buy my own car it would still be the A3.

6th Gear

Status

If it were my own money I wouldn't buy a new car and I wouldn't buy a premium brand.

For example,there's no way on earth I would pay 300 for an Audi service when the same engine in a Golf costs much less to service.

I'd probably be driving a used (up to 3 year old,probably) Golf or Focus.

Something humdrum,reliable and cheap to run and spend the rest on motorbikes,hookers and drugs.

3rd Gear

Status

I run my own company, but I buy all my cars from my own funds. I charge my company mileage, which covers the cost of the car and servicing, as I do about 18k miles a year on business.

Bowfer

The same engine in a A3 can be much cheaper to service depending on the dealer. 1st AVS service - 184.24

I'm sure your lovely wife would be quite happy with you spending your money on motorbikes, providing she could have her Mini !. But as for hookers and drugs...

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    For example,there's no way on earth I would pay 300 for an Audi service when the same engine in a Golf costs much less to service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly. Dealers are independent of each other and thus charge what they want for a service. I've paid upwards of 200 for a basic service in a golf before. (naturally i shan't be returning there!) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i'll be keeping an eye out for Bowfers Lada any time soon. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img] I wonder if the Riva L comes with DSG? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I wonder if there is a forum for Ladas

1st Gear

Status

i'll find it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

couldn't find it, but I found Bowfers Lada! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    If it were my own money I wouldn't buy a new car and I wouldn't buy a premium brand.

Something humdrum,reliable and cheap to run and spend the rest on motorbikes,hookers and drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowfer, it cost me more to service my Golf 150PD than it does my A3. Same dealership - go figure that one !

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    couldn't find it, but I found Bowfers Lada! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice cut and shut, but without the shut [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Status

I opted out of having a company car about 5 years so you kinda know my answer to that question.

Sevicing wise the R32 was on variable serivicing and the first service was 250 at 17K miles,
    the audi was 192 at 16.5K ish...

I got better serivce from Audi and they found me a courtesy car with very little notice. the car
    ready on time and they even do servicing over night.

J.

Lord of War

Status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So shop around or take it to a Skoda/VW dealer.

There's very little in the servicing costs between VW/Audi.

5th Gear

Status

I've only just opted back in to company cars, after 6 years of owning my own, i went a little mad and blew too much/lost too much money on them so for me, depreciation is the key....

so i'd have something similar to what I have now, probably 2.0t or V6 though

Top Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we have bowfer kicked out please he said the F word!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

Having opted out of a company car back in 2001, and then back in last August I found the only financially viable way if one covered high mileage was something with a higher than normal residual value.....

An A4 Cabrio did the deed admirably [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img], the three Saabs (Saab nut) had previously all lost a load of money [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

Oh the banter... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif[/img]

There's zero point in opting out of a company car scheme if you plan on staying with a premium car.

I only 'buy' nice cars because it's someone else's money.

Cars simply don't interest me enough to warrant spending loads of my own dosh on one.

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh the banter... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif[/img]

There's zero point in opting out of a company car scheme if you plan on staying with a premium car.

Cars simply don't interest me enough to warrant spending loads of my own dosh on one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowfer,

Lease rates for a 3 series BMW are cheaper than an equivalent Ford Mondeo.......reason ?, retained value after 3 years. You are only ever financing the depreciation, so to say premium brands are expensive is not always the case.

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowfer,

Lease rates for a 3 series BMW are cheaper than an equivalent Ford Mondeo.......reason ?, retained value after 3 years. You are only ever financing the depreciation, so to say premium brands are expensive is not always the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a little misleading though Japper.

Whilst you're undoubtedly correct that the depreciation figure (percentage) for a Mondeo is more than an Audi/BMW,those figures are always based on the full RRP.

A private buyer will pay much less than RRP for a new Mondeo (sometimes an astonishing amount less,I've seen Mondeos having up to 7k off),so the traditional depreciation figures/calculations are suddenly made null and void.

His Mondeo won't be worth any less in three years,just because he paid less for it.
    It'll still be worth 7k (for the sake of argument),so the fact he paid much less for it in the first place makes his depreciation figure much healthier.

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowfer,

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a little misleading though Japper.

Whilst you're undoubtedly correct that the depreciation figure (percentage) for a Mondeo is more than an Audi/BMW,those figures are always based on the full RRP.

A private buyer will pay much less than RRP for a new Mondeo (sometimes an astonishing amount less,I've seen Mondeos having up to 7k off),so the traditional depreciation figures/calculations are suddenly made null and void.

His Mondeo won't be worth any less in three years,just because he paid less for it.
    It'll still be worth 7k (for the sake of argument),so the fact he paid much less for it in the first place makes his depreciation figure much healthier.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, if you buy a pre-registered or nearly new......fair point [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

I also opted out of a company car scheme over 5 years ago to buy an Audi so in my case that answers itself.

I guess it will always boil down to what you can afford.

6th Gear

Status

The next question is,how do you determine the amount of extra dosh you should get instead of the car ?
    The websites I've seen (like 'Cash or Car') aren't much good.
    I would be looking for an after-tax amount of roughly the monthly payments (approx 350 per month for my car) + a wee bit extra for insurance/running costs.
    So I would be looking at an after-tax figure of between 450-500 before I would even think about doing without the car.
    Add that to the tax I would save (approx 140 a month) and I would be substantially better off each month.

That's the bit that always makes me laugh actually.

When I speak of doing away with my company car,people always say "yeah you'll save the tax".

What...140 a month ?

Whoopee !

I want a STACK more than that ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]