BKD oil usage?

RyanBarratt

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a 2004 Audi A3 2.0 TDi (BKD engine)

I have owned the car since September 2013. Purchased on approx 88,000 miles. Today it stands at around 93500 miles.

The car drives fine and has plenty of power and torque (certainly feels like it has the quoted 140bhp) with no flat spots or funny noises at all. I always allow the engine/turbo to warm up before going above 2000RPM, however appreciate that I don't know how it's been driven previously!

The car has used approx 3 litres of oil in approx 5000 miles since ownership. I check it every week and seems to always drop. One thing I have noticed is on especially cold mornings it does appear to have blue smoke come out the exhaust on the initial startup but nothing else noticeable when driving

I suppose my question is - is 3+ litres of oil normal in 5000 miles normal for a BKD engine? Should I be expecting a big bill soon?
Thanks
Ryan

Most modern cars state in the hand book that a car can use a litre of oil per 1000 miles.
I know from first hand experience that Mini Cooper s will do so as well with no leaks or anything that was from new.

My a3 tdi has done a couple of thousand miles since I bought it and not used a drop of oil. Well other than when the turbo failed.

I've had my car since 92.xxx Km when it was stock. Now it has 181.xxx Km with some modifications. It never took more than 500 ml between services (15.000 Km).
I think 3 liters in 5000 miles is a bit much. Most VAG engines, even petrol ones, burn some oil but not that much.
When brand new, maybe, but at that milage something is not OK, despite what the hand book states.

My BKD doesn't noticeably use any oil between every 10k service. Its on 88k now.

As said above it's quite acceptable for most engines from the VAG group to burn up to a litre per 1000 miles

Mine seems to burn about 500ml every 1500 miles or so.

Also get a little blueish smoke on cold mornings or when sat for a week or so, it could be many things really, normally valve stem seals. In general not much to worry about as long as it's not excessive and disappears within a few moments