1.8 tfsi/2.0 tfsi/2.0 tdi?

sean.smithy

Reaction score
I will be looking at getting either one of those cars when I'm 21 next year with three years driving experience so hopefully insurance won't be a problem.

With the cars I've named, I'd have around £7000 to spend, which car would be better, I'd like something that's fast as I atm only have a 1.2 so all of those I'm sure will be a huge difference to me. MPG is only a small concern but I do about 15 miles a day ranging from 30 to 60 roads so anyone with experience of these cars or types of journeys will help.

I would consider remapping but only if it's worth it, basically, I'd like to know, from experience, which car would be more ideal for me.

Thank You
Sean

1.8TSFI...newer engine and plenty fast young man...

Reactions: Artimus and wuta3
I've just looked on auto trader for a 1.8 under £7000 and its got 73000 miles on it, would that be too high?

I've had the 2.0tdi 170 in the past. Nice car but can be a headache if it has certain issues.
Currently got the S3, brilliant car. Love it even though it is thirsty.
I'd agree 1.8tfsi simply for age and insurance too

Reactions: sabers
Im 21 and i have a 1.8TFSi , its quite a nice amount of power to have, then when/if you get bored or used to it you can just map it and it becomes interesting again. lower tax than the 2.0 and my insurance is only £500 with 3 years no claims. and i get around 45mpg. for me its a winner all round. And it will feel fast to coming from a 1.2 , I had a 180bhp diesel grande punto before and I'm more than happy with 160bhp for the moment.

Oh right okay :) I was considering the 2.0T fsi due to the modifications you can do kinda thing, but if the 1.8 is better than thats what I shall look in to, with a remap what gains will I see? Like how far modification wise can you go?

revo map takes you up to 210bhp stage 1 , stage 2 around 220bhp

the 2.0t goes to around 265 ish on a good map for stage 1 :p

Who needs an S3

Reactions: wuta3
the 2.0t goes to around 265 ish on a good map for stage 1 :p

Who needs an S3

Ha ha mines only standard but your welcome to borrow it for an hour and see what you think lol

Reactions: crunchie
Oh so the gains from a 1.8 isn't too bad then :)! I'd love a 2.0 but the expense in petrol and tax I don't think I'll manage, I would love one though, would I be able to get a decent 1.8 with the money I have to spend?

I've had the 2.0tdi 170 in the past. Nice car but can be a headache if it has certain issues.
Currently got the S3, brilliant car. Love it even though it is thirsty.
I'd agree 1.8tfsi simply for age and insurance too

This is the same as me I've had a couple of tdi's including a 170 and now onto an S3, but I'd say with the mileage you do the a 1.8 would be a good choice for now, then you can always change it up down the line if you wanted to.

1.8 it will probably be :)! will i find a good one within my price range?

Join the very few of us with 1.8tfsi's and then get the loba kit so I can have something other than s3's to look at on here

Join the very few of us with 1.8tfsi's and then get the loba kit so I can have something other than s3's to look at on here

do you think i can get a decent one for £7000? and also, sorry to sound dumb but whats a loba kit?:)

My case...
I went from driving a 1.2 petrol for 4 years to a 62 plate 170hp 2.0tdi... feels like a rocket!! Max torque from 1800 RPMs.
£105 road tax for the year.
Better mpg compared to the 1.2 as well. Lowest I've got from a tank is 395 miles and that was from rough driving and absolutely hammering it... Full throttle, max turbo boost.
But for you I'd say 1.8 due to your age and insurance. I was 24 when I bought mine. Full clean licence...5 years no claims quoted almost £4000 from comparison websites. Audi did it for £1100.

I can insure s3's at 21 with 1yr no claims and a non fault accident for £730. Get one of them. Don't waste ur time with the a3's. You'll only want the s3 eventually.

I can insure s3's at 21 with 1yr no claims and a non fault accident for £730. Get one of them. Don't waste ur time with the a3's. You'll only want the s3 eventually.

AGREE!...

unless your like me and cant afford an S3, so went with the 2.0 A3. Cheaper to get S3 power from an A3.

AGREE!...

unless your like me and cant afford an S3, so went with the 2.0 A3. Cheaper to get S3 power from an A3.

But you'll never have the potential the s3's have, therefore wasting more money getting an a3 to s3 power when you could start with the s3.

But you'll never have the potential the s3's have, therefore wasting more money getting an a3 to s3 power when you could start with the s3.

What potential? other than looks, the engine is practically the same? bar K04, slight better rods (apparently)
Everyone should spring and brake upgrade anyway so why bother with an S3? :p

I will be looking at getting either one of those cars when I'm 21 next year with three years driving experience so hopefully insurance won't be a problem.

With the cars I've named, I'd have around £7000 to spend, which car would be better, I'd like something that's fast as I atm only have a 1.2 so all of those I'm sure will be a huge difference to me. MPG is only a small concern but I do about 15 miles a day ranging from 30 to 60 roads so anyone with experience of these cars or types of journeys will help.

I would consider remapping but only if it's worth it, basically, I'd like to know, from experience, which car would be more ideal for me.

Thank You
Sean
Remap's: they all have very good potentional, all worth remapping for gains in power, and fuel economy will increase on diesels.

1.8TFSI 160 Remaps to ~210
2.0TFSI 200 Remaps to ~250
2.0TDI 140 Remaps to ~175
2.0 TDI 170 Remaps to ~210

Also there are variations available, Including Quattro(4wd)/DSG(Automatic).
I've gone from a 2.0 TDI 140 to a Remapped 2.0 TFSI 200, Fuel consumption has gone up approx 1.5x, although the grin factor for the power is worth it.

The best of both worlds for you, I believe, would be to get a 170bhp A3 TDi.

Reactions: sean.smithy
What potential? other than looks, the engine is practically the same? bar K04, slight better rods (apparently)
Everyone should spring and brake upgrade anyway so why bother with an S3? :p

A3 2.0 TFSI 200 BHP
S3 2.0 TFSI 265BHP

A3 2.0 TFSI Stage 1: 250BHP
S3 2.0 TFSI Stage 1: 310BHP

A3 2.0 TFSI stage 2+: 290BHP
S3 2.0 TFSI Stage 2+: 360BHP

S3 wins everytime

A3 2.0 TFSI 200 BHP
S3 2.0 TFSI 265BHP

A3 2.0 TFSI Stage 1: 250BHP
S3 2.0 TFSI Stage 1: 310BHP

A3 2.0 TFSI stage 2+: 290BHP
S3 2.0 TFSI Stage 2+: 360BHP

S3 wins everytime

i think you misunderstood me.

5 door A3 quattro £4500
5 door S3 £12,000

Put the 7.5 grand into the A3 and you have a ****** BT power monster on your hands. Comparing them with stages is not a fair comparison.
However, Compare overall cost including the upgrades from each stage and the A3 is FAR cheaper for the same power. that was my point.

Reactions: Ironborn and wuta3
i think you misunderstood me.

5 door A3 quattro £4500
5 door S3 £12,000

Put the 7.5 grand into the A3 and you have a ****** BT power monster on your hands. Comparing them with stages is not a fair comparison.
However, Compare overall cost including the upgrades from each stage and the A3 is FAR cheaper for the same power. that was my point.

Well there is obviously going to be a massive difference in price between a 10 year old car, and a 4 year old car of higher spec.

well even with the same year, still gonna be a decent price diffrence. but anyway point being, if you can afford a S3 go for it. if not go for the 2.0 A3. and if you want diesel then, meh who cares its not a petrol :p

If it were me making a personal decision I would be the 1.8, but based on your concerns for MPG etc. I'd certainly go for a 2.0 TDI, jumping from a 1.2 putting out what maybe 90BHP? Just a guess, to a 170BHP 2.0 Diesel is a completely different world! Not to mention the kind of torque figures you'll be getting and that's all before you remap it to (as @sliced said) 210BHP and goodness knows what amount of torque.

Then say maybe in 2 years time you get bored of the diesel and want to upgrade to a high performance petrol engine like an S3 or maybe your tastes will change for an S4 etc. you'll have a better resale value from the diesel and fond memories of an economical and powerful little machine!

Changed my mind, if it was my personal preference 2.0 TDI.

well even with the same year, still gonna be a decent price diffrence. but anyway point being, if you can afford a S3 go for it. if not go for the 2.0 A3. and if you want diesel then, meh who cares its not a petrol :p

You know, the tdi's can out perform the 2.0tfsi's. Just cause it's a diesel doesn't mean it can't. Take a look at darkside's website and their project cars. You'll probably be amazed. 250hp a shed load of torque and 50 to the gallon. Can't complain. Except, when an s3 pulls up next to you at traffic lights, you'll still want one.

I have the Tdi 2.0 and just can't get enough of torque, even in the parking lot :) love it and I'm coming from a 1.2 seat Ibiza :)))

After having a remapped 170 myself they are a fantastic car, apart from sounding like a tractor. Pulled amazing with loads of torque, gave some petrol cars a run for the money. But for me it was missing something...the sound of a petrol.

I'd say if you're doing 20,000 miles a year with long motorway journeys daily (which I was) then yeah a diesel is great but if you're only doing short journeys, the car isn't going to warm up so the mpg won't be great and the additional premium you pay for diesel at the pumps may not make it cheaper.

My mate has a 2.0tdi 140, we do the same miles weekly and we spend almost the same on diesel and petrol cause he only does short journeys. Just something to consider.

I looked at all three of these cars when I was purchasing my A3. I'm 21 with 2 years no claims and I went with the 1.8tfsi insurance is only 800 but saying that the 2.0tfsi is only 50quid more. The 1.8 and 2.0 are pretty much identical engines, you can tell the 2.0 is quicker but it's a minimal difference in my eyes. I went with the 1.8 over the 2.0 because the running costs are cheaper, the 1.8 is much better on fuel than the 2.0 and they can be mapped to 240bhp safely which is only 20bhp down on what the 2.0tfsi can reach so even with them both mapped there's a minimal difference.

Go with the 1.8 unless you want a Quattro then you will have to go 2.0 but test drive them both, I did and you'll realise the difference is minimal.

Reactions: sean.smithy and sliced
Oh wow, I didn't think there would be so much choice haha I would like the amount of torque from a diesel,but its very rare I'd do long journeys, 2.0, personally, for me is too expensive to run so the one that's left is the 1.8, I just hope I can find a good one in my price range, an s3 though, I would love one, but I think atm I couldn't afford it haha

170's mapped to 205 shift well, very well in fact. Economical too if your just pottering around plus if you get DPF delete you don't have to worry about that clogging up

170's mapped to 205 shift well, very well in fact. Economical too if your just pottering around plus if you get DPF delete you don't have to worry about that clogging up

i still may consider a diesel but i think atm i may go with the 1.8, i didnt know whether getting a dpf delete would fail on an mot?

There is lots that have had it done and lots of chatter about the new rules. If it's gutted it is visually there from underneath. I'd be shocked if it failed if it was gutted and I think you would need a harsh tester too.

There is lots that have had it done and lots of chatter about the new rules. If it's gutted it is visually there from underneath. I'd be shocked if it failed if it was gutted and I think you would need a harsh tester too.

oh right so as long as its there is should pass? i have a fair while to think which one to go for haha it will either be a 170 tdi or the 1.8T fsi, i dont know haha, my main concern is finding a low mileaged 1.8 in my price range, is 73000 high? i know in a diesel that would be okay, im just not sure about that much on a petrol

As long as the service history is there to back the mileage up then I wouldn't let it put you off, it wouldn't me.
As said the DPF should be on the car but a visual check is how I imagine it will be checked by an MOT tester so.
There is plenty of people who have had them gutted and I did when I had mine

If it were me making a personal decision I would be the 1.8, but based on your concerns for MPG etc. I'd certainly go for a 2.0 TDI, jumping from a 1.2 putting out what maybe 90BHP? Just a guess, to a 170BHP 2.0 Diesel is a completely different world! Not to mention the kind of torque figures you'll be getting and that's all before you remap it to (as @sliced said) 210BHP and goodness knows what amount of torque.

Then say maybe in 2 years time you get bored of the diesel and want to upgrade to a high performance petrol engine like an S3 or maybe your tastes will change for an S4 etc. you'll have a better resale value from the diesel and fond memories of an economical and powerful little machine!

Changed my mind, if it was my personal preference 2.0 TDI.

75bhp from my 1.2 haha pretty slow dont you think? haha id be more than happy with the 1.8 mpg is a little concern to stop me getting the 2.0tfsi but not enough to go for a diesel, i think i will end up with the 1.8 and just remap it when im ready :) as im sure leaving it standard for a little while will so much quicker!

I would say consider a 2.0T Quattro. Or at least test drive one, the Quattro is worth it IMO.