Exhaust Sound Upgrade (Advice)

agentjay

Reaction score
Hello guys, I was just wondering is it possible to make a 5dr 2007 1.6 FSI A3 sound like this? THIS

I'm new to audi and only 18 so it will cost so much to get insured on a 2.0, 3.2 or a 1.8 XD, thanks.

Errrm, no. That's a 5 cyl engine which has it's own note.

Probably as close as you will come is a decat, non-res full Milltek setup. Maybe something with those flappy nonsense things in the exhaust, somebody could advise on a maker with those .... ££££.

Ask yourself:

(a) Will the sound make you go faster?
(b) Is it worth it on a non-turbo car?

If the "smile factor" is worth it, go for it, but personally i'd save for a 2.0T in a couple of years. Considered spending on a tunable car is much better than aiming for a sound or look from a totally different car.

Don't ask this rover metro owner:

View attachment 25916

As mentioned above that's a 5pot engine with a non resonated cat back, so in short no.

I'd personally save any money for now and get a 2.0 or 3.2 in a few years. If you are wanting to mod the engine for performance gains the 2.0T would be a better choice, however if you are after an amazing engine note then the 3.2 would be the way to go.

Hmmm okay thanks :( Really want an Audi a3, got about 7.5k for a car + insurance lol + another 4k for upgrades... dont no what to get :(

I don't know about the insurance side of things but you could definitely pick up a car with the budget you have.

Don't think you'd need anywhere near the 4K for modding so you might be better putting this towards the car, especially as modding a car can seriously increase insurance premiums. Just something to think about anyway. The A3 is a great car and I can't recommend one enough.

Reactions: Karlos_
Thanks for the response, as i'm 18 my insurance costs around 3.2k on an A3 lol and I don't want a corsa because thats what most people my age have haha, i was looking at a mercedes B170 and costs around the same as an a3 but I'll probs just go with an A3, this is an Audi form after all :)

Woah that's a joke! They really do try and price people out of nice cars if you're young. Madness I'm not that much older and my insurance on the S3 is nothing like that, that's with mods declared as well.

1.6 will be a nippy car and a lot more refined than a corsa. The cabin is also a much nicer place to be, if it's going to cost you that much I would just make sure you get the best spec possible and don't rush into it.

Reactions: agentjay
Thanks for the advice theo!

Reactions: Karlos_ and stetheo
so you're saying you don't want to spend 10k (round about) on a car and leave it alone ? you would rather spend 4k on mods ?

so you're saying you don't want to spend 10k (round about) on a car and leave it alone ? you would rather spend 4k on mods ?

Umm yeah XD e.g. Alloys, RS3 kits, RNS-e unit, tints, etc, i think im just gonna get a 1.6 and make it look nice lol. So if i do upgrade the car in a year or two once my insurance is cheaper and get a 2.0t i can just take off the upgrades and put it on my 2.0 i dnno, time will tell :D

fair enough i agree with all of that ....apart from the RS3 kit haha. its a 1.6 don't waste your money other than that go for it. minus the rs3 kit you're looking at around £1k.
alloys £500 (dependant on what you have in mind)
RNS-E £400 (mk2 unit from ebay)
privacy glass £150 ish

Reactions: agentjay
fair enough i agree with all of that ....apart from the RS3 kit haha. its a 1.6 don't waste your money other than that go for it. minus the rs3 kit you're looking at around £1k.
alloys £500 (dependant on what you have in mind)
RNS-E £400 (mk2 unit from ebay)
privacy glass £150 ish

Was looking at THESE XD but the 19 inch ones no idea if they will fit

Errrm, no. That's a 5 cyl engine which has it's own note.

Probably as close as you will come is a decat, non-res full Milltek setup. Maybe something with those flappy nonsense things in the exhaust, somebody could advise on a maker with those .... ££££.

Ask yourself:

(a) Will the sound make you go faster?
(b) Is it worth it on a non-turbo car?

If the "smile factor" is worth it, go for it, but personally i'd save for a 2.0T in a couple of years. Considered spending on a tunable car is much better than aiming for a sound or look from a totally different car.

Don't ask this rover metro owner:

View attachment 25916

That's a fantastic reply.

If you're set on an A3 and a potential upgrade at a later date to another A3 with a larger engine, I'd only do transferable mods and save yourself some money.

I.e. Wheels, RNSE etc. something you can transfer over when the time comes.

Put whatever is left in a savings account.

Just an idea though mind.