Fault Found: 01539 - Headlights Not Adjusted [urgent]

Try jacking up the front and rear nearside of the car to reset the code.

U tried disconnecting the battery for a bit? reset the ecu then it should recalibrate after start up

Try jacking up the front and rear nearside of the car to reset the code.

I actually unscrewed the load sensor on the back of the car and temporarily secured it to simulate the car being standard height, but this didnt solve anything unfortunately. Is there a front load sensor on 3 door cars? I looked and I cant find anything on the front for the life of me!

U tried disconnecting the battery for a bit? reset the ecu then it should recalibrate after start up

I didn't mate but someone else actually suggested that to me. I will try that tomorrow.

Fix the front sensor as its not seeing it, have you unplugged it & not plugged back in or damaged when suspension was being done, ideally both threads need merging.

Fix the front sensor as its not seeing it, have you unplugged it & not plugged back in or damaged when suspension was being done, ideally both threads need merging.

I dont think it exists. Both my brother and I have looked everywhere that it should be but we cant find it. From asking others its not uncommon to only have a rear load sensor.

Yeah I agree, but I will need a mod to do that I think.

Its hidden around by the front arb behind the passenger wheel, bolted to the chassis upright iirc & then to the lower wishbone, it must be there or at least the connector/loom for a factory fitted xenon car.

I can assure you unless it has magride which has 4 sensors, not 2, it must have one, wiring, levelling controller etc all point to this & I don't know any 8P I've worked on with xenons or me fitting that wouldn't have one & if I didn't fit front the levelling wouldn't ever work.

Ok thats interesting then. I will have a closer look tonight based on your location instructions. I wonder why VCDS is saying "not installed" then? Strange.

Maybe because its not installed :p

As in not connected, if its not there & no loom, then I would be very highly shocked & wondering wtf has happened, as I don't know any 8P or other chassis system that didn't employ multiple sensors.

When you say not connected, do you mean the wiring is there but the actual sensor is not there at all? Or that both wiring and sensor are there, but for some reason are not connected into each other? Which would be very weird.

my 06 S3 defo has one on pass front wishbone, and pass rear arm.

did you run the reset in vcds?

No point hunting down the forum, go look under the car for evidence otherwise its pure speculation atm.

All I can tell you is what I know from experience, so check with audi your vin & see if they've changed it for some cars, but etka & wiring on even newer cars 2012 I've worked on, show as front & rear, I cant really help any further, except to say maybe fit front one & see if rectifies.

just read the other thread - if it only happened while adjusting headlights then its not a missing sensor surely.

vcds can query the level of both sensors too, when I was testing I read the values then shook about in the seat a bit and you could see them change, indicating that the sensors were working properly.

Sounds like you adjusted them out of range and it just requires a reset to be done via vcds but this is only from my brief familiarity with the system when I was having headlight problems.

just read the other thread - if it only happened while adjusting headlights then its not a missing sensor surely.

vcds can query the level of both sensors too, when I was testing I read the values then shook about in the seat a bit and you could see them change, indicating that the sensors were working properly.

Sounds like you adjusted them out of range and it just requires a reset to be done via vcds but this is only from my brief familiarity with the system when I was having headlight problems.

Just so were on the same page, what do you mean by a reset?

No point hunting down the forum, go look under the car for evidence otherwise its pure speculation atm.

All I can tell you is what I know from experience, so check with audi your vin & see if they've changed it for some cars, but etka & wiring on even newer cars 2012 I've worked on, show as front & rear, I cant really help any further, except to say maybe fit front one & see if rectifies.

Ok thanks really appreciate your input.

there is a function in the drop down under adaptation I think to perform a level reset (I think it puts the headlights in a default position so you can adjust them). you should really have done this prior to adjusting them as far as I know.

No thats exactly what I did do. I have wrote that in my other thread. I followed the ross-tech procedure exactly. Its when I clicked the "go" to put the headlights in the default position, that my problems started. Now when I click "go" it just says "waiting" and wont go any further, while the light remains on my dash. Seriously just thinking about taking the battery off for half an hour to possibly take away the light, as before I attempted this adjustment procedure I had no warnings or issues of any description (other than what I believed to be poor lights, which is what prompted this whole carry on to begin with).

oh sorry missed that part. try unplugging the lights and plugging them in again as there is a fair bit of intelligence in the ballast packs.

also any faults logged that need clearing?

Is the connector for the lights just at the back of the actual light itself? Yeah there is the Fault Found: 01539 - Headlights Not Adjusted fault but that just comes straight back as soon as I clear it. Ross-tech say this fault wont clear until the learning procedure completes successfully.

Ok lets rule out the sensor missing, what's your vin no. as we're just ******* in the wind atm.

Shows 1 sensor, very strange indeed, never seen that on any 8P.

Reactions: s3_trev
Thanks for that. That's actually a huge help as it now means no more time wasted looking for something that isnt there. What did you use to check that by the way? And what would you recommend next? Thanks.

this problem has been documneted before on the 1 sensor version and seems to be a problem with versions of vcds . not saying it is vcds software that is faulty ,but make sure you have the newest version available and do the basic settings for the xenons again .
it may take a few attemps .
as soon as you have done them turn off the ignition .

this problem has been documneted before on the 1 sensor version and seems to be a problem with versions of vcds . not saying it is vcds software that is faulty ,but make sure you have the newest version available and do the basic settings for the xenons again .
it may take a few attemps .
as soon as you have done them turn off the ignition .

Wishful thinking. Already checked im running the latest version. Ive already tried it quite a few times and no luck. The measuring blocks are showing that the car is within acceptable parameters on the load sensor, so ive no idea why its not working.

Also, took a drive tonight at the lights really are now much better than they were before I started this process. So at least that tells me that they were definitely worse after lowering. If I could just get the car to "learn" the new position that would be perfect.

UPDATE - Problem now fixed.

Instead of following these instructions

I followed these, and they worked.

Basically the first page is a general guide and the second is a specific guide.

Thank you to everyone that tried to help, much appreciated.