a3 2.0 tdi help needed

butch1988

Reaction score
hi just brought a audi a3 05 model 130k full audi service history been well looked after owned by a old couple for last 6 years all seemed drives perfect until 80mph then the turbo cuts out switch engine off an back on again perfect again till you get to 80 agen then same thing every time engine manegment came on and says overboost proble any 1 have any ideas tried asking previous owner but said they never drove it that fast so didnt no about the problem like i say it is only when you hit 80mph the turbo cuts out can any one help thanke

Probably sticking vanes in the turbo causing the problem.
Would need logged with diagnostics to be 100% but it certain sounds like it needs a new turbo.

Reactions: Jack_tdi
how come it only does it above 80 though if it was turbo that was nackerd wouldn't it do it at any speed

sounds like its going into limp mode, have you had the car scanned for faults yet?

As Marshy said, sounds like the turbo needs to be replaced.

:crying: ok can the vane in the turbo not just be cleaned is it worth trying something like red x or sommet in it like that just 2 see if that will help as the car is fine up to 80 mph could it just be clogged up

It won't go in to overboost in lower gears. Although its 80mph you'll probably be able to replicate the fault in 4th or 5th gears at lower speeds.
80mph in 6th will be asking for max boost and if the vanes are sticking it can't reduce the boost properly causing your problem.

There are some treatments available to clean the turbo which are a bit of a gamble whether they work or not.
If your keeping the car with that mileage I'd be replacing it.

Mine was exactly the same when I bought it anyway at 110,000 on original turbo and I hered mixed reviews on cleaning the vaines I had it reconditioned and remapped and it has been great since , when the guy doing the work stripped the old turbo the shaft was bent also so was best thing to have done anyway

3rd gear ,very steep hill give it some beans and it will overboost . dont try to clean the turbo with mr muscle oven cleaner like most muppets do , take it off and strip it down and do the job correctly . will make a hell of a difference to how the car responds.

Reactions: Jack_tdi
What sort of price is a re-con unit for these guys? my sister is having similar issue, going to over take then car went into limp mode

£250 to £450, I paid nearer the top price they were recomended and it was extra for a quality billet alloy compressor wheel

Reactions: AdV10M