S3 feels slow

s5joe

Reaction score
I have not had my s3 that long but before it I had a golf gti with a stage 1 map and a s3 8l and this one does not feel anywhere near as fast as them two it revs rite up to red line but I can hear the turbo whistle from about 3.5k but just does not seem quick at all any ideas

mine doesn't feel fast as does my friends mkv gti stage2+ but it's faster for sure. i guess it's the way the s3 put's the power down through 4wd.
also you can check your diverter valve for splits, if you have prefacelift s3.

I might get the dv off it and have a look at it. When is it normal to hear the turbo

Reactions: Cozza McA
With the window down I can here my turbo whistle from approx 2500rpm
I've been running mine for 3 months and a few weeks ago I thought it was getting slow and the turbo didn't whistle until 3500rpm it turned out my air flow meter was faulty.
What a difference silky smooth again and turbo in from 2500rpm.
I unplugged my air flow meter which didn't put the light on and the difference was extremely noticeable.

With the window down I can here my turbo whistle from approx 2500rpm
I've been running mine for 3 months and a few weeks ago I thought it was getting slow and the turbo didn't whistle until 3500rpm it turned out my air flow meter was faulty.
What a difference silky smooth again and turbo in from 2500rpm.
I unplugged my air flow meter which didn't put the light on and the difference was extremely noticeable.

I'll try that nice one mate I will try and get a maf reading as well

To be fair,the S3 8P is a pretty heavy car.

1500kgs and 265bhp makes for a brisk,but not rapid car,and it's delivery is also pretty linear,which may result in it's feeling a bit sluggish.

To be fair,the S3 8P is a pretty heavy car.

1500kgs and 265bhp makes for a brisk,but not rapid car,and it's delivery is also pretty linear,which may result in it's feeling a bit sluggish.

Yer I know that but I am not convinced that it's running rite if you get me

Yer I know that but I am not convinced that it's running rite if you get me

I understand.....as the others have said,boost loss may be the problem and would account for the noise,and the diverter valve is a good place to start.

I went from Mk5 Golf Gti Stage 1 to a stock S3 and the S3 should feel at least as quick.

If it doesn't then something is broke.

I went from Mk5 Golf Gti Stage 1 to a stock S3 and the S3 should feel at least as quick.

If it doesn't then something is broke.

no defo deoes not feel as quick going to get the dv off tommorrow

Yes it doesnt feel
As fast as my gti mk6 stage one but certainly is faster, 0 to 62 in the golf wasnt any better than 5.6 this one is 4.8 just as the magazines tell. Remember ybou are comparing a chipped car eith an original car and also gtis have the traction issue and the torque steer issue which add drama to the feeling of speed.

I have to add tat im comparing the gti with the new s3 8v .
Chipped gtis are faster or as fast as 8p s3s

Bit of a update I have changed the dv as it was split but now I seem to get flutter under boost any ideas on this one

Uploadfromtaptalk1389899806374I think it's split

Well......that's well past it's sell-by date.

And buy the MT TBE exhaust you need so you can go straight to stage 2..........

Trust me - you wont look back.

Reactions: wuta3
stage2+ dont bother with stage2 as the pump might not be enough to give you massive fuel dips between 3-5k revs

Good point....I think Stg2+ (or Stg3 in Shark-speak) is the best overall value for the S3,and gives a lot of torque and power without excessive costs.

Reactions: wuta3
If you pull the DV out and it is split can it go back in for a few days until another comes? or do they ususally fall apart?

If you pull the DV out and it is split can it go back in for a few days until another comes? or do they ususally fall apart?

No you can put them back in as long as you can put it back together

Good point....I think Stg2+ (or Stg3 in Shark-speak) is the best overall value for the S3,and gives a lot of torque and power without excessive costs.

must agree with you. i had stage 2 for a year and after fitting the pump it was a big difference. now the car is proper fast :D

also if you get 2nd hand parts you can get there even cheaper.

Reactions: S3Alex
also if you get 2nd hand parts you can get there even cheaper.

Fear not - i have offered him the necessary exhaust and i know he knows its the right thing to do. :moa:

Reactions: S.
:laugh::respekt::sign_plug:

You can't blame a guy for trying......... :p

It's not much use to me sat on the garage floor so Joe may we as well make use of it!

Reactions: S.
I know you have offered me one but I have been ripped off so many times buying things on forums and goods not turnning up if you lived closer I would bite your hand off mate

Mate. I fully appreciate what you are saying but I am a well established member on here with over 1k posts, over 3k on vagoc and have met and dealt with a fair number of people on both forums. I know there are admin on both forums that can vouch for me. I'm not here to rip people off and there are plenty of others that have bought stuff from me with no issues. You really have nothing to worry about.

Hi joe James is a top bloke I've have bought many s3 8p parts from him and all parts arrived safe and sound :)

Reactions: s5joe and JamesS4cab
Mate. I fully appreciate what you are saying but I am a well established member on here with over 1k posts, over 3k on vagoc and have met and dealt with a fair number of people on both forums. I know there are admin on both forums that can vouch for me. I'm not here to rip people off and there are plenty of others that have bought stuff from me with no issues. You really have nothing to worry about.

I have sent you a pm

Hi joe James is a top bloke I've have bought many s3 8p parts from him and all parts arrived safe and sound :)
Likewise,I'd vouch for James as well.

Top bloke and very good to meet.

Reactions: Kelza and JamesS4cab