Noob Audi A3 owner questions

mreco99

Reaction score
Hi

Sorry for the nooby questions, if you have time.
First Audi ever (A3 SportBack 2009, 63k. FSH) from a large second hand car sales garage
What a lovely drive! stiff enough but not too stiff, grips the road, super comfy seats, nice bit of power.

1. what is "haldex and gearbox services near the 40k mark/4years" and how do i know they have been done?
2. Should the hand brake life the center console when hand brake is lifted high enough to be active?
3. Little bit of mist on the inside of the front lights near the indicator lights, both sides, shall i ignore it?
4. Cant believe auto headlights arn't standard these days.
5. Do you know what the boot bulb is? the boot light doesn't work. Halfords didnt seem to know.

thanks for any help.

1. Haldex is the four wheel drive system, drain and refill with oil, same as the gearbox service. No way of telling, be worth getting it done for peace of mind, and if it's an automatic you want to be looking at servicing it at 20k/2 years rather than 40k/4 years. Big money if it goes wrong. Same with the Haldex.

2. No idea what you're trying to ask?

3. If it's a little bit, then I'd ignore it, if it's a lot then to fix it, you'll have to take the headlight out and open it up and dry it and re-seal it with a silicone sealant to prevent it happening again. Unless you are missing the caps at the back of the headlight which will let in the moisture.

4. Autolights aren't fitted to my car, so don't know what I'm missing out on.

5. The boot bulb is just a generic interior light, looks like this.. <0000> Small tubular bulb, with a wire going through it, with two metal caps in either end. Chances are the garage took it out for when the boot was being left open all day on the forecourt. I've got plenty if you're local to Portsmouth?

ah slight spelling mistake on 2. meant..
2. Should the hand brake lift the center console when hand brake is lifted high enough to be active?
meaning when i put the hand brake on it hits the underside of the center arm, and has to lift the arm to fully set the hand brake.
Maybe it needs adjusting?

1. looking at the service manual, i dont think Haldex is relevant to our A3 1.4 TFSI ?

New question
6. The toothed belt (i assume that means cam belt?) replacement in the service book, doesn't actually mention an interval for my 1.4. It does mention 1.6 1.9 2.0 and 2.0 TFSI. I assume i do actually have a toothed belt?

I'm with you now on number 2 :) Probably because I don't have an arm rest, however my dad does, and can see what you're on about, if you can live with it, then it'll be fine, however you can adjust it (never tried, but on most cars you can, so assuming here) at the back of the handbrake mechanism will be the handbrake cable with a bracket which splits off the two cables, there will be a nut in the centre, tighten it until you're happy :)

The Haldex is only for "Quattro" models, meaning the four wheel drive, if yours doesn't have four wheel drive, then you won't have a Haldex to worry about :) don't think they did on 1.4 engines.

New question number 6. Probably a good question that you asked, as after a quick google, I found that your 1.4 TFSI is chain driven, not "tooth belt" driven.

great answers thanks, very handy.

6. so no tooth belt, but chain? whats a chain is that a good thing? does it need attention as its not mentioned in the service manual.

Want to look after this car.

great answers thanks, very handy.

6. so no tooth belt, but chain? whats a chain is that a good thing? does it need attention as its not mentioned in the service manual.

Want to look after this car.

Not a problem.

Correct, you basically, in essence, have a larger bicycle chain instead of the rubber belt. Pros and cons..

Designed to be a fit and forget part, however that being said, they said that about the 3.2 V6 engine which suffered to cam chain stretch which was very pricey to be replaced, due to the fact VAG never designed it to be replaced.

If you don't get chain stretch then no timing belt service costs and no risk of the cam belt snapping, chances of a chain snapping are highly remote.

Only thing to bare in mind, is the 3.2 V6 owners experienced noisy chains when they had stretched, as if the chain was slapping. Might want to have a quick google search to see if your engine is prone to chain stretch, however I wouldn't worry too much, there'll be a heck of a lot more room to work on your 1.4 than the 3.2 if it did ever need doing. But, I hope it doesn't and you enjoy your ownership :)