Spazy alarm

autolatry

Reaction score
I have searched but can't find exact answer for an A3.

Ive always had a fault with the alarm and I would now like to sort it. Can anyone tell me where the hell it is on my car and can I change the battery? If not can I unplug it without any issues arising?

are you still needing info on this. I used to have the old shape A3 and had to fix the alarm about a year ago

Yes please, if you can.
Really I just need the location of it and is the battery built in the siren?

Cheers

From memory its under the wheel arch of the drivers side front wheel (my car was a 53 plate) so just double check thats where the sound is coming from.

you need to jack the car up, take the wheel off. remove half a dozen screws or so to release the wheel arch lining. there is a metal box(same colour as paint work) secured with a security screw. i cut a grove in the head of it with a dremel and then used a flat head screwdriver.

After removing the metal cover, there is a black alarm box which included the battery. Its a sealed box so not really repairable, but i bought a new one for £100 from my local VW garage :) very quick fix as my problem was the alarm kept going off and not stopping sometimes during the night. I think the battery had gone faulty and leaked over the circuit board.

let me know how you get on or any questions

I think the part number is 1K0951605A so might be worth checking they have one it stock if you need replacement. I walked down to VW the same time as taking the old one off so I only have to jack the car up once.

The battery is built in to the siren and can be replaced by soldering one if its the same as the old a3 alarm
It can be done quicker than a v6 can be rebuilt.

Reactions: autolatry
i took my old alarm unit apart, and it was a sealed unit, could only get it apart by destroying the case. it was either glued together or the plastic heated to create a seal

The battery is built in to the siren and can be replaced by soldering one if its the same as the old a3 alarm
It can be done quicker than a v6 can be rebuilt.

Ha ha, well i guess il be reporting back in 5 months to say ive finally swapped the alarm then.:jester:

I changed an outer CV joint, then broke 2 studs for the ball joint had to wait for new ball joint and fitted that last weekend.*** lol.

So its a job for this weekend, along with replacing the bevel box / propshaft seal !