Audi reliability?

mreco99

Reaction score
Hi
As you might know, just got our first Audi (A3 sportback 2009). Love the car!

After we got it, we noticed the reliability surveys, and Audi faiered particularly badly, which i was especially surprised as its German, (I dont know about the A3 particularly)

Whats your experience of Audi reliability?

Hi
As you might know, just got our first Audi (A3 sportback 2009). Love the car!

After we got it, we noticed the reliability surveys, and Audi faiered particularly badly, which i was especially surprised as its German, (I dont know about the A3 particularly)

Whats your experience of Audi reliability?

Seemingly bulletproof here across several models I've owned.

A3 2.0TDi
A3 3.2 V6
A4 3.0TDi Avant
S3 2.0TFSi

The S3 has now covered 60 000 miles,around half of which is at Stg3 or 4.

We bought the A3 with 63,000 on the clock, but at lease we have 2 years full warranty.
But i assumed Audi would fair well in reilability surveys?

Here we go, deep breath...

B6 1.8T quattro Avant (GmbH Sport) ;)
B7 2.0t quattro saloon
B7 2.0t Avant
B5 RS4
B7 2.0T Cab
B8 2.0T quattro Avant
B8 2.0T quattro Avant (yes 2...great cars)
B7 2.0T cab
C6 3.0TDI quattro Avant

Across 10 years, myself and my wife, mixture of company cars, new private cars and a couple of used (RS4 and A4 Cab).

None have ever put a foot wrong or needed a garage visit.

Worst thing that happened was on the B7 Avant the plastic rear numberplate light fittings kept sheering off and falling out, losing the bulb and throwing up errors on the DIS.

I don't tend to take much notice of these surveys. Like with anything, you can get good and bad cars no matter what car you get and how much its worth, if you look after your car with correct servicing intervals, using the right fuel, oil and looking after them in general then they are normally reliable.

I think a lot of people see the benefit of buying a well built german car now so there is more on the road so that could mean there is more chance 1 or 2 may go wrong.
I bet if they did a english wide survey (I only say this cause i know the scottish like there independence so not sure if they would want to be involved or not lol JOKE) on percentages, how many of the cars are there on the road to how many go wrong i bet audi wouldn't be at the top.
I use to work for renault and they were forever coming back with warranty issues

I think if i was Audi and that survey was somehow wrong, id be getting the lawyers on to them. So i think they would have to be very careful about making sure their figures were reflective of the poll they published.

Think to be honest there sale figures speak for a thousand words

My first S3 wasn't perfect.

-New door seals, doors dropped.
-Glovebox door was sticky and needed replaced.
-Clutch and DMF (although after Stage 1)
-Car shutting down randomly (Control Module relay)
-Creaky strut tops.
-Electric window modules/units (windows had a mind of their own)

It wasn't a disaster but it wasn't without its issues and I didn't keep it that long after the warranty ran out.

Still bought another one because they are such great allrounders and although I didn't have any major problems, the cabin had a few squeaks and rattles from new.

Again, I put up with it because the S3 is so good at so many things.

There is probably some truth in the surveys. I read somewhere recently that Skoda build the most reliable cars in the VAG stable.

The thing with surveys and statistics is that you can manipulate them and interpret them in any way you like so I wouldn't look into it too much. Audis are great reliable cars as are all vag cars as it is all iv ever owned