Occasional loss of power!

Silvera3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of help/advise. Got a stage 1 2.0t dsg and recently noticed that sometimes when flooring it at about 4/5000 revs I have a slight loss of power probably only for say half a second, then it carries on accelerating. It doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally usually in 2nd and 3rd. Car runs completely fine rest of the time and have no problems at all with it, it's just started to bug me the last few weeks. Don't usually really push it either, just occasionally when I do go for it, I've noticed it.

Hope somebody has an idea of what it could be, (hopefully nothing too bad) :sorry:

Thanks in advance :icon_thumright:

Perhaps fueling issue? Fuel requested not met?

Who did the map?

This sort of thing is often either plugs or coil packs.
Esp if the plugs haven't been changed recently.

Thanks for the replies guys. Amd Essex did the remap back in July last year, and only recently last month or so started to notice it. It's prob due a service about now as it's done about 9-10,000 since last one in April! Am I looking at an empty wallet for a while then if it's coil packs?

Thanks for the replies guys. Amd Essex did the remap back in July last year, and only recently last month or so started to notice it. It's prob due a service about now as it's done about 9-10,000 since last one in April! Am I looking at an empty wallet for a while then if it's coil packs?

At a guess from what you're saying,it's likely to be plugs as the first thing to check.

Coilpacks aren't too costly,but plugs are cheap.....give Ben a call and have AMD take a look.

As the car has worked well since the remap last year,it won't be a map related issue,which would be apparent immediately.

Mine starts to cough a bit if the plugs are tired.

Phew... Fingers crossed it's just that then! I'll get somebody to have a look up here (Birmingham) and hopefully they will sort it! Bit far going down there for just that, (as good as they are lol) although maybe going back down soon to sort out having my dsg mapped, as ever since I had the remap it's always seemed just a tiny bit jerkier and sometimes a bit of a pause when downshifting with paddles. May even go stage 2 but not too sure yet, have to see how many pennies I can save :)

I only just posted a thread last week on the exact same issue I was having. After a remap I had a sudden loss of power/boost at around 4500/5000 rom then the car would return to normal! Been in the garage since and turns out it was my turbo pipe collapsing under pressure. I did change my sparks and coil pack and all good now.

I only just posted a thread last week on the exact same issue I was having. After a remap I had a sudden loss of power/boost at around 4500/5000 rom then the car would return to normal! Been in the garage since and turns out it was my turbo pipe collapsing under pressure. I did change my sparks and coil pack and all good now.

Like I'd said,that was very unusual for a fault,so I'm assuming it's been diagnosed as that?

Yeah strange for a pipe to collapse when under pressure!
Usually only the vacuum side will collapse.

Yeah strange for a pipe to collapse when under pressure!
Usually only the vacuum side will collapse.

IIRC what he was told by the garage was that the turbo intake pipe was collapsing which is theoretically possible if it's as floppy as hell,but frankly not something I've ever seen in practice.

Yeah it was logged and no faults came up. We changed the pipe, coil and sparks and it's been fine up to now.

Yeah it was logged and no faults came up. We changed the pipe, coil and sparks and it's been fine up to now.

The problem there is that it doesn't exclude plugs or coilpacks as having been the cause.

It is of course easier and more practical to change all 3 items,but it remains probable that the plugs were the most likely cause.

I only posted the same problem yesterday!
Mines not mapped but I was getting the same problem, especially going up hill and flooring it in 4th, yet the problem seemed to go if I kept the revs above 5000 when changing gear. Changed all 4 coil packs and problem slightly better but not gone, gonna change the plugs next see if that solves it!!

I only posted the same problem yesterday!
Mines not mapped but I was getting the same problem, especially going up hill and flooring it in 4th, yet the problem seemed to go if I kept the revs above 5000 when changing gear. Changed all 4 coil packs and problem slightly better but not gone, gonna change the plugs next see if that solves it!!

Where did you get with solving this? My A3 2.0TFSI quattro has been intermittently cutting out under heavy load (hardish acceleration or going up hills) around 4-5k revs and now getting more common. Seemed to rear its head for me a couple of weeks after changing spark plugs (dealer supplied). Getting a bit anxious now as my A4 B8 petrol has just burnt out its piston rings and we are down to our last car.