Following on from my thread about updating my head unit I went and took the plunge on the above unit!
System Specification (Taken from the Zenec Website: Here
BRAND/VEHICLE SPECIFIC FEATURES
- Intuitive, user friendly HMI in 20 different languages
- 6.2"/15.7 cm 16:9 HD TFT-LCD display with 800 x 480 pixels resolution and touchscreen control
- RDS tuner with 30 preset stations (18 FM/12 AM)
- Multi zone function
- 4 x 50 watts class-D amplifier
- 2 x IR-remote control
GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEM
- Steering wheel remote control integration via CAN
- Driver information system (FIS) integration via CAN (Audio information and turn key arrows)
- Soundsystem integration, incl. BOSE Soundsystem
- Red key illumination
PARROT BLUETOOTH HANDS-FREE MODULE
- 3D High-Definition navigation system
- TMC receiver for free TMC data services
- Extendable functionality via separate pay service TMC providers such as Traffic Master Pro (country specific)
- External GPS antenna
- 8 GB internal flash memory with map data for 43 Eastern and Western European countries and Premium POI database
- Graphical user interface and voice guidance in 28 different languages
- 2D or 3D map view with auto-zoom and display of 3D terrains and 3D landmarks
- Eco and Smart Route Planning, Outlook address import, Real Junction View and Real Signpost rendering etc.
- Text to Speech function
- Synchronization of up to 1,000 contacts with max. 5 telephone numbers per contact
- Alphabetical search function for contacts
- Internal and external microphone
- Future-proof upgradable Bluetooth firmware
- DVD loader
- USB 2.0 port (via Media link box)
- SD/SDHC card reader (up to 32 GB)
- Made for iPod/Made for iPhone
- Playback DVD loader: CD, CD-R/RW, MP3, WMA, DVD, DVD±R/RW, DVD-MP3, AVI, Xvid and JPEG
- Playback SD/USB: MP3, WMA, AVI, Xvid, H.264 and JPEG
- 4.1-CH preamp line outputs
- 2-CH preamp line outputs without volume adjustment
- 2 x composite video outputs (NTSC)
- 1 x A/V-input
- 1 x video input for rear view camera with switching function
- Connectivity for compatible external DVB-T or DAB+ receivers
ZENEC - this does not mean only full compatibility to all popular audio and video formats, but also easy integration of further ZENEC devices like DVB-T tuner, rear view cameras, headphones or monitors for perfect rear zone entertainment. You can connect all external devices to the ZE-NC3131D and comfortably control these components via touchscreen or with the IR remote control included in the deliver
Fitted to my 2010 A3 Sportback!
The box arrived and looked reassuringly good - it was well packaged and upon opening it had all the components you could need and more. I was very surprised by the comprehensive parts included in the kit.
4 x Removal Keys
External GPS Antenna
Main wire harness
Media Link Box
DVB-T connection cable
BT Microphone Interface
CAN bus Interface
Documents (Comprehensive manuals).
The main box involved removing the existing radio and connecting the Main wire harness, media link box, External GPS and CAN bus interface. The GPS module was plugged in and I switched it on to make sure it was all working. Connectivity was simplistic and all connections are colour co-ordinated and unique to prevent you plugging in the wrong place.
(After testing it worked I tidied it up)
I ultimately placed the GPS antenna above the glovebox (removing the glovebox to place it out of view) - Using THIS guide.
The USB media interface was located into the glovebox - I had additionally purchased the iPod connectivity cable to give me full iPod connectivity. So i smuggled this away in the glovebox out of view. (You need this to be able to easily update the unit over USB).
The system is easy to use and fairly self explanatory. The amount of options were confusing to start with purely as it was so unexpected but you quickly work them out. Start up time is longer than OEM but it isn't enough to be irritating (yet). iPod functionality is great, the iPod is in the glovebox and doesn't need to be touched - full control is viable from the head unit and you can see everything on the iPod easily. Bluetooth is brilliant - showing you signal strength and battery status of the linked mobile phone. There are two microphones - one built into the system and one external one - I haven't attached the external one and having had several conversations through the BT I don't think I need to - quality is brilliant. All functions appear on the DIS and when using the navigation the arrows appear there too.
Cheaper than OEM System (New)
Works with DIS
Masses of features to start with and easily expandable.
Fits in with the car look.
Slower startup than OEM
Overall I am very happy with the system - I will try and get some better pictures (day and night and of Sat Nav in use) tomorrow and will explain things a bit better too.
I would highly recommend the unit though and have had a couple of people look ad seem interested which is good news!