2010 A3 Blower Problem

Xerohour

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just came back from holiday to find my blower fans are not working... (i should point out they were absolutely fine before i went away and have not been playing up at all).

A simple check of the dash fuse in Location 22 (40A) shows its fine.

Whilst sitting in the car with the engine switched off if the fans are switched on from the climate control unit, i can hear the fan start turning slowly and then stop after a second or two... after about 10 seconds it does the same thing again.... and again.

Interestingly if i have the bars set to 4 bars, the fan does spin but you can hear it is very slow. If i bump it up to 5 bars it immediately stops and goes into the loop i mentioned earlier.

Any ideas, or should i take it to Audi?

I feel like taking it in and complaining, i know its out of warranty (the car has just turned 4 years old) but seriously - problems like this on a 4 year old audi... ridiculous!

Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

You need to check the V2 blower under glovebox, maybe something's got in & blocked it, otherwise new motor.

Not sure where you are, but if you're not confident in changing this, we maybe able to do this for you & supply the unit

Hi NHN,

Really appreciate your reply, I'm in Warrington (if i remember from the past your down south).

I think i could do it with instructions, (I'm a electronic engineer) - is the part expensive?

Cheers

Yes new its not the cheapest & you should be able to fault analyse it.

I had similar symptoms on mine after it had been stood for over a week , i just kept the fan on max and drove it home (3 hours away) and it was fine after about an hour and a half. its been fine ever since i think its due to a sticky fan. just keep it on full and let it try and blow.

Im wondering by the fact that the motor is still spinning to some degree - if in fact your correct about something blocking it or if maybe a bearing or some part of the spinning brats are seizing. Are there any decent guides to removing the glove box? How difficult is it?

Again really appreciate your time here!

Its easy just look for the 7 bolts, 1 is hidden behind the dash left side removable trim.

was going to have a look at but its been fine ever since. just had it on max for a while to free it up. mine was like whirring then stopped then could hear it a little bit. then it started to work and just left it on full to free it up as i assumed it was sticky.

Cheers Guys,

I'll see how it goes over the next few days and failing a stroke of luck ill get my tools out next weekend and have a go at cleaning the motor unit and its bearings.

I'll let you know how i get on.