Audi A3 sportback - Problem (VIDEO)

wrightyrx7

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recorded a video of the problem im having.

This problem is usually intermittent and starts working in the afternoon.

Its usually happens about once a month, its happened once in November, once in December and Friday 10th January yes it started working again all these times.

But TODAY however its done it again and doesnt seem to be working again like it usually did.

Im going with its a problem with the Instrument Cluster. An planning to contact BBA Reman tomorrow. What i dont want its to leave anything else un-tested before i send it off.

Hope someone knows what the problem is or can help in any way.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Cluster is either losing power or its got an internal issue, so check fuses on end of dash drivers side & under bonnet next to battery, immo which is part of cluster, isn't functioning hence cutting out on start.

Hi HNH,

Thank you for looking at my thread. I have check all fuses and all are fine :(

Pull cluster out & move the wires a bit, see if its got a short, otherwise get fixed by bba if possible or replace, we can replace but we're way down south for this to be done, but all guaranteed to work.

Hi NHN,

I tried yor suggestions but had no luck. Sent my Instrument Cluster off the BBA yesterday. Hopefully they will be able to fix :crying:

I've got the same thing and I'm like you stuck, if your cluster repair works I'll send mine off, please could you ask what the problem was if they do a repair please thanks

Yaa, they recieved it today so they should call me in the next day or two. THey should tell me what the problem is when they give me the price.

i had the same issue with my old corsa c 1.2...if i banged the dash it would then fix it haha...sometimes the cluster just dies as I'm driving too, all the clocks drop to 0 and no illuminations

Now im really stuffed!!

BBA have just called me. There is nothing wrong with my Instrument Cluster. It tested fine, not a clue what to do now :sob:

Any suggestions will be much much much appreciated! :crying:

Now im really stuffed!!

BBA have just called me. There is nothing wrong with my Instrument Cluster. It tested fine, not a clue what to do now :sob:

Any suggestions will be much much much appreciated! :crying:

Try your spare key

My spare key needs programming. It only locks and unlocks the car, was like that when i bought the car.

That's what bothers me, if mine is ok, where to go next, how much do they charge to test it, cheers

I know, I don't know where to go from here and its really frustrating.

It cost me £68.40 for testing and postage back.

I know yea... like i shown in the video. The clock and mileage show up when i press the button on it. So there is power going to it.

Hi Hollow,

How would i check that? My dad is coming round weekend to help me out. He has a ross-tech cable which helps. But i scanned it last time it did this and it had nothing recorded.

Mine dose the same only time I get it lit up is when I press the button like yours, where do you live

It's just there m8 I bought car needing some work, but turns out they forgot to tell there was an electrical problem, and now it turns out this is why they got rid of the car. Taken a £3800 hit on the car, so now I'm left with it

Ahhh right.... Well i have had mine since September 2012 and this problem has only just started. Been told it maybe an ecu problem. now

Many things to check tbh, but needs vcds, multimeter, another cluster etc.

guided fault finding maybe required if the fault cannot be found easily. had the a4 b8 previously with the fob in dash to start , the fob didnt work correctly and had to be heldin the slot till the car started. i tried the obvious things with no luck . guided fault finding and in 20 mins i had narrowed it down to a burnt track in the ecu .
car would start fine etc ,i just knew you shouldn't have to press the fob till the car started.
there is that many modules etc on modern cars that sometimes its not obvious what it is.

Hi Hollow, what is guided fault finding?

Having the same problem today and need it sorting ASAP. I have missed 4 days at work because of this problem and think i need to bite the bullet and take it to a garage..

If i had to find a used instrument cluster does the part number have to match mine exactly?

8P0 920 982 CX

Or can i ignore the last two letters?

guided fault finding is part of odis . its the update to vas used with the 5054 . vag diagnostics .
its step by step diagnostic procedure . tbh its sometimes not necessary ,but in my case it confirmed my opinion that it had to be an ecu fault.

guided fault finding is part of odis . its the update to vas used with the 5054 . vag diagnostics .
its step by step diagnostic procedure . tbh its sometimes not necessary ,but in my case it confirmed my opinion that it had to be an ecu fault.

Hi hollow, where would i get this done?

Well John ler,

I have got @udi A3 replacing my clocks Saturday and programming them to my car. I have give up trying to do it myself.

Will let you know how it goes.

Depend if you source the cluster and if you get the key with it and how far he has to travel. Get in touch with him if it sorts mine out. Seems a really good guy to help with our sort of problem.

Suggests things to try before you go into paying for them to be replaced.

Are right I thought you ment Audi where doing it, I hope it works for you, good luck