strange whistling noise from my s3 engine!!

gaz24s3

Reaction score
Hi, ive got a random whistling sound coming from my s3(2008) its currently running a stage 2+ revo map!! the whistling sound occurs when i accelerate hard upto 70ish then will stay on until i slow down to about 25 mph.. to me it sounds like it is coming from somewhere near the engine cover!

here is a vid to listen to this random whistle..

audi s3 whistling engine noise?? - YouTube

cheers for any help

Gaz

Does it disappear when you brake? Could be a sticky brake caliper? Just a thought?

no mate!! i drove from conwy(north wales) all the way to stoke - on - trent & the noise stayed on for 80% of the way!! theres no loss of power, just this annoying noise!!

cheers Gaz

Could be a noisy alternator bearing? Or even a noisy aircon compressor? It's a tricky one really :/

Does it whistle when you rev at idle?

Try a few things:

Turn ignition on with aircon, check for noise
Turn engine on with aircon, check for noise
Turn engine on with aircon, rev the car, check for noise
Turn engine on without aircon, check for noise
Turn engine on without aircon, rev the car, check for noise
Drive car with aircon on
Drive car with aircon off
Etc..

the noise only happens when the car is under load and never happens when it is stationery!! thought it could of been the air-con myself , i drive 90% off the time with it switched off thou.. its still there with air-con off or on and switched system off and still there!!

yeh ive got a twin forge intake on it. i did originally think it was the intake so i put the stock in take and cover back on and noise was still there!! next option i was thinking was the forge dv valve what it could be, so i will trying the stock 1 in next few days!

Sounds as if it's circular motion orientated.

So what ever it is I think it Spins, Wheel, Turbo, Pulley Bearing, Wheel Bearing, Tensioner, Cam?

Checked your cam follower?

Does sound like brakes aswell, like handbrake seized.

ok thanks for the info, i will 1st change the dv valve back to stock just to eliminate my upgraded parts(piece of mind)! cambelt and pulleys were changed 1 year ago so shouldnt be them.. ill check the brakes as well, hand brake does seem looser than normal but noise only comes on when i accelerate hard to 70 then disappears under 25 mph!!

ok thanks for the info, i will 1st change the dv valve back to stock just to eliminate my upgraded parts(piece of mind)! cambelt and pulleys were changed 1 year ago so shouldnt be them.. ill check the brakes as well, hand brake does seem looser than normal but noise only comes on when i accelerate hard to 70 then disappears under 25 mph!!

If it's under load, I'd be checking my boost pipes or even the intercooler. Pressure test could be an idea? I guess it's just a process of illimination...

hi guys ive been to audi today to try get this problem sorted, but no luck.. they think its something to do with a breather pipe ( air leak sound ) but they are not sure where .. they told me to put everything back to standard and they would work from there!! im running stage 2+ so need to change a few parts then..

cheers Gaz

I have taken it to PSI tuning in Stoke-on-Trent only a quick visit though and couldn't find anything as it only happens under load. .getting it booked in again for a full day so they can put it on the roll
ing road and give it a proper going over!! just really annoying as it dosnt stop when cruising at 70..

Hi guys finally got the noise sorted.. it spent 2 weeks at psi tuning in stoke to find the noise a lot if head scratching too, ended up being the centre propshaft bearing!! expensive job to get fixed but all nice and quiet now..

cheers Gaz

Hi guys finally got the noise sorted.. it spent 2 weeks at psi tuning in stoke to find the noise a lot if head scratching too, ended up being the centre propshaft bearing!! expensive job to get fixed but all nice and quiet now..

cheers Gaz

Glad it's sorted. How much did it cost?

not much change out of £1500 because you carnt buy the parts separate, so had to have a new propshaft etc